Whatcha Been Playing?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Whatcha Been Playing?

Post by ratsoalbion »

😆
Killed the bot, thanks guys.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Banner Saga 3 starts off slightly inauspiciously, with an endless battle you can't win :cry:

It doesn't communicate that, unless I picked it up wrong, but I've moved on a wee bit from that now and am liking it so far. The battle music has immediately departed from type, with what sounds like sitars in place of the usual violins. Pretty interesting.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have sent my rental of God Of War back. I am up to a bit where the "boy" shot a pig with an arrow. Definitely a cause of it isn't you its me. I was not enthused enough to play another 20 hours. Never played a God Of War before this.

Finished Chapter 1 on Yakuza 0 and loved it. Reminds me of Shenmue a bit and I'm enjoying the story and the OTT combat.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I can’t begin to express just how much more fun God of War would have gotten if you’d given it another wee while.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a ‘solid 8’ from me rather than the second coming, but I think it is one of those games that gets so much more fun once you start to earn and learn the characters’ abilities.
Suits

Post by Suits »

GoW was special for me in a number of ways, it just seemed to be a refined experience that was more than the sum of it's parts in retrospect.

I try no to force people to play it as such as that's never a good way to get someone to play game but I'd strongly encourage people.

Isn't the Atreus pig shooting event like the first half an hour or so ??
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Suits wrote: July 27th, 2018, 8:04 am GoW was special for me in a number of ways, it just seemed to be a refined experience that was more than the sum of it's parts in retrospect.

I try no to force people to play it as such as that's never a good way to get someone to play game but I'd strongly encourage people.

Isn't the Atreus pig shooting event like the first half an hour or so ??
No it is a couple of hours in. Just met a Witch and went to her house which is under a big turtle. Think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but Kratos being cold to his son I found irritating. Maybe as a Dad of 2 boys myself I'm probably being over precious about it :lol:
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

When I got my Switch for my birthday in May, I also got Zelda Breath of the Wild, but having never played a Zelda game before, I decided I wanted to play a classic first. I’ve been playing Ocarina of Time on the 3DS on and off over the last couple of months, and finally finished it on Friday night. Whilst the controls and the camera feel very dated now, the world, story and gameplay definitely isn’t... And I’m so glad I played it first! I spent about three hours in Breath of the Wild yesterday, most of which was just soaking up the breathtaking environment and getting a feel for things, but after Ocarina everything was familiar and visiting places like the ruins of the Temple of Time was really quite emotional! Initial thoughts are that this is going to be a joy to play over the next few months!

Conversely, having just got back from holiday, I loaded up Mario Tennis Aces to resume my addiction to online tournaments, and immediately thought I’m done with this. A couple of matches later, and after 35 hours in a very short period for me, I decided I’d had my money’s worth, and will do the story mode then sell it.

Also spent a bit of quality time in Ikaruga, and finally picked up the Mega Man Legacy Collection for £8.99 in the Nintendo Summer Sale so have dabbled in a few of those too.
Suits

Post by Suits »

stvnorman wrote: July 29th, 2018, 9:34 am When I got my Switch for my birthday in May, I also got Zelda Breath of the Wild, but having never played a Zelda game before, I decided I wanted to play a classic first. I’ve been playing Ocarina of Time on the 3DS on and off over the last couple of months, and finally finished it on Friday night. Whilst the controls and the camera feel very dated now, the world, story and gameplay definitely isn’t... And I’m so glad I played it first! I spent about three hours in Breath of the Wild yesterday, most of which was just soaking up the breathtaking environment and getting a feel for things, but after Ocarina everything was familiar and visiting places like the ruins of the Temple of Time was really quite emotional! Initial thoughts are that this is going to be a joy to play over the next few months!
Nice, that's a cool/dedicated way of doing it.

I'm jealous of the adventure you're going to have with BotW.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I saw a patch had been released for The Banner Saga 3 which 'fixed issues with importing saves from earlier games' so I restarted the game. I was only an hour or two in, but I'd been mightily confused by what was happening in the story so I decided to restart.

I think my save was actually imported ok, and maybe I missed some screens of dialogue first time round. It didn't help that the beginning plays out differently depending on a choice you'd made (and forgotten) at the end of the previous game, so when I tried looking on the internet to see what the hell was happening, everything I found related to outcomes of the choice I didn't make (and had forgotten) so I was mightily confused.

At any rate, they could have done a better job of handling the opening and recapping what had gone before, as it's been over two years since the last one. I remember playing Yakuza 3 and watching what seemed like hours of video recapping 1 & 2. :) Something like that would have been great but beyond the budget I guess (you can get all three games for less than the price of a full-price game).

Apart from that, it's great, absolutely sumptous to look at. I'm having a tough time with the battles - it's difficult on console to tell what enemy you are targetting sometimes, which is super-annoying - and am stuggling to work out how to use some of the more esoteric units effectively, but really enjoying it given all that.

Oh, and got to the World Series but was beat 4-2 in season 2 of Out of the Park Baseball 19. Same issues as last year, terrible pitching (and no support from the hitters), and it's impossible to sign better pitchers so we go again and hope this group has matured and year 3 will be the charm.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

I recently started playing Gravity Rush Remastered because 1) I've heard great things about it for a while; 2) because it was on a recent flash sale; and 3) because in anticipation of the upcoming Spider-Man for PS4, I have got to get over my lack of skill in controlling cameras in 3D environments (I play 2D or fixed-camera games exclusively).

as far as #3 goes, I'm only now realizing that choosing a game in which gravity can literally be broken might have been biting off a bit more than I can chew. but the good news is that if I can master this, I should be good for just about any other 3D open-world game.

as for the game itself, it's not blowing me away, but it's charming enough. I like it, so far.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Just started Wolf Among Us with the wife. I'm on the gamepad/mechanics but she's making all the decisions. So far, she's being a bit kinder than I would be, but it's making for a fun playthrough.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: July 31st, 2018, 4:28 pm Just started Wolf Among Us with the wife. I'm on the gamepad/mechanics but she's making all the decisions. So far, she's being a bit kinder than I would be, but it's making for a fun playthrough.
Best Telltale series, I think. Hope you enjoy it! Are you familiar with the source material?
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: July 31st, 2018, 8:32 pm
duskvstweak wrote: July 31st, 2018, 4:28 pm Just started Wolf Among Us with the wife. I'm on the gamepad/mechanics but she's making all the decisions. So far, she's being a bit kinder than I would be, but it's making for a fun playthrough.
Best Telltale series, I think. Hope you enjoy it! Are you familiar with the source material?
I've read the whole series, my wife is somewhere around volume eight. I really enjoyed my time with it and she told me to get the rest for her from the library.
She's never played a Telltale game, but I've covered the first two seasons of The Walking Dead and Jurassic Park.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I really enjoyed it, but I do still think Tales from the Borderlands just edges it for best Telltale. It’s more my sense of humour I think.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Flabyo wrote: July 31st, 2018, 10:25 pm I really enjoyed it, but I do still think Tales from the Borderlands just edges it for best Telltale. It’s more my sense of humour I think.
I think the sequences with licensed music in tales of the borderlands just about give it the edge for me. Both great though.

The Jurassic Park and back to the future games are now a distant memory!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Simonsloth wrote: July 31st, 2018, 10:33 pm
Flabyo wrote: July 31st, 2018, 10:25 pm I really enjoyed it, but I do still think Tales from the Borderlands just edges it for best Telltale. It’s more my sense of humour I think.
I think the sequences with licensed music in tales of the borderlands just about give it the edge for me. Both great though.

The Jurassic Park and back to the future games are now a distant memory!
Walking Dead season 1 is still the peak for me. Still got Tales Of The Borderland to finish as well as Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Surprised Batman has not had more of a buzz about it. Season one takes what you think you know about Batman and turns it on its head. I still need to finish season 2.

Anyway my life has been consumed by Yakuza 0. It is brilliant, all I want to do is play it. I have started Chapter 3 with a 20 minute cut scene but it is that interesting it flys by. The story is very interesting and it reminds me of Shenmue. So much so I am going to hang fire on Shenmue HD and go straight into Yakuza 1 and 2.

Started Steins Gate on Vita. Apart from doing a lot of reading there isnt much to say. Heard enough good things from people I trust to get stuck in though
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Big fan of the Wolf Among Us here too. Then Guardians/Walking Dead 1/Batman 2 in the next tier down. Wasn't mad about the first Batman but the second was excellent.

Humour is a funny thing; I didn't like the (Telltale) Borderlands humour but loved Guardians of the Galaxy humour. Not sure if I could explain the difference between the two though.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

After recently finishing SMT IV: Apocalypse, a game I felt was good but not exactly memorable, I'm now playing through Undertale, another RPG full of monsters, and one I enjoy considerably more.

To be fair to SMT, I liked the demons and monsters in that game too, just not the humans. I mean, what's not to like about monsters?

Because I assume there's a minority of people who till haven't played, I won't ruin anything. I first bought it a long time ago on Steam, and never played it, and when it came to PS4/Vita I bought it day one... and still didn't dig in right away. It hasn't disappointed me yet, and I'm happy to throw money at games like this over AAA titles.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Keep meaning to check out Undertale but the time never seems right.

I'm playing The Infectious Madness of Dr Dekker, the latest from Wales Interactive, of The Bunker and Late Shift fame. It's another FMV game, and this time you're a psychiatrist who takes over the patients of the late Dr, who has been brutally murdered. All the patients are suspects, so you need to help them overcome their issues while probing for clues as to what happened.

I don't know how the ethics of that stacks up, or whether the psychiatry bit is realistic, but it is extremely well done and the acting* and characterisation is excellent so far. I saved so many video clips last night when playing, but viewed in isolation they lose context. Suffice to say there are some great characters and I had a grin on my face a lot of the time with the witty writing and delivery.

*I've read a couple of reviews and they say the acting is variable and am-dram-ish, so take my statement with a pinch of salt.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

DomsBeard wrote: July 31st, 2018, 11:47 pm
Started Steins Gate on Vita. Apart from doing a lot of reading there isnt much to say. Heard enough good things from people I trust to get stuck in though
Nice! It is a bit slow to get going but if you like narrative games trust me when it grabs you fully it’s absolutely enthralling