Yoku's Island Express

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Suits

Yoku's Island Express

Post by Suits »

So, I’ve been playing this since Monday and I have to say, I’m very much enjoying it. I’m playing it on Switch, in a mixture of big screen and handheld.

It really taps into the MertoidVania vein I have and is a proper hour sink.

It got great artwork, good sound (although my wife dislikes the random noises, the party whistle) and has wonderfully addictive gameplay with the pinball element.

I’m not usually into Pinball games, although I appreciate the idea of them, I’ve just not been exposed to them in a way that I find them generally appealing or alluring. This though is different and I often find myself forgetting entirely that pinball is even an element of this game.

At first, I was a bit overcome by the variety of areas, characters and had no idea of where I needed to go, or what I needed to do – although the game does guide you, I was just spoilt for choice if you like and didn’t want to look at the map or objectives and just adventured off and made my own fun and experienced things at my own pace for a few hours.

After a while and hitting clear progress gates, things started settle down and become clearer, not that for a second not knowing what or where I was going wasn’t fun, there just seemed so much to do.

It’s has positive reviews online, which was what guided me to it in the first place to be honest.

Anyone else playing this, what do they think ??
Alex79

Re: Yoku's Island Express

Post by Alex79 »

I'm interested in this. Did anyone ever play the hugely overlooked Mario Pinball on GBA? That was a great game and I'm getting a similar vibe.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Haven’t got it yet, but YIE also makes me think of the flawed but interesting PS2 game Flipnic:

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^ Good call. That's also still on my PS2 shopping list.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I finished this, this morning.

Very enjoyable, pleasant experience. Not hard, or taxing, just a Womble through a quality environment with good music and compelling gameplay.

Took me, I’d say just over 10 hours to roll the credits and I’ve already put a few more in mopping up a few bits and pieces.

Recommended.
Suits

Post by Suits »

This now has a demo on the Switch eShop - I'd encourage anyone n the fence about this to give it a try.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Tried the demo on PS4 via remote play on Vita. It commits the cardinal sin of not allowing you to customise controls, meaning you have to use the touch screen for flippers.

Deleted.

I mean really. EVERY GAME SHOULD HAVE CUSTOMISABLE CONTROLS! Every. Single. Game.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 9:28 am Tried the demo on PS4 via remote play on Vita. It commits the cardinal sin of not allowing you to customise controls, meaning you have to use the touch screen for flippers.

Deleted.

I mean really. EVERY GAME SHOULD HAVE CUSTOMISABLE CONTROLS! Every. Single. Game.
Wow, that's a shame.

One of the best feelings in this game is the satisfying punch you get from the triggers and flippers.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alex79uk wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 9:28 am you have to use the touch screen for flippers.
That sounds horrific.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Is that just cause they’re on the PS4 triggers and that’s the default mapping when you use the Vita? Cause I can’t imagine the hell of trying to play a game using only the touchpad on the PS4 controller...
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I remember playing something via remote play and having to use the touch screen for triggers. I never used remote play again.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it's just because it's remote play and L2 and R2 are mapped to touch screen. Lots of games consider remote play and will flip the shoulder buttons when connecting remotely, but there are a few notable exceptions (this, No Mans Sky, Hitman spring to mind). It's just frustrating when devs don't either consider remote play or simply allow for customisable button setups. This should be mandatory, as it also helps people with limited motor function too. For some people being able to customise controls is the only way they can play a game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments regarding controller customisation and accessibility Alex.

I suspect that devs aren’t overly concerned with catering for Vita remote play users though as it must represent a minute percentage of their audience at this point. I would guesstimate single digits per game in many cases.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I’ve started this on Switch, really like some elements - graphics, pinball mechanics, art style, it’s beautiful and satisfying flipping the ball around. However I’m slightly worried my general dislike for Metroidvanias may kick in soon... I’m already having to backtrack a lot and try to make my way to different areas of the map which can be taxing to say the least with mistakes costing you a fair bit of time to correct when you’ve careered off the edge and dropped down many areas.

Should I just relax and wander about letting stuff happen and be happy exploring? I don’t want to get bored but that what generally happens with me and these sorts of games where progression feels loose and unreliable. Hoping to play through this and click with it fully...
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: August 28th, 2018, 11:00 pm Should I just relax and wander about letting stuff happen and be happy exploring? I don’t want to get bored but that what generally happens with me and these sorts of games where progression feels loose and unreliable. Hoping to play through this and click with it fully...
Most of my best times with this game was when I just wondered off in a direction to see how far I could get and what trouble I could get myself into.

Also, at a certain point you will unlock a certain skill/ability that will make large traversal much much easier and less aggravating.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: August 29th, 2018, 8:47 amAlso, at a certain point you will unlock a certain skill/ability that will make large traversal much much easier and less aggravating.
Ah, that would be good. Very good actually. I'm at this place at the moment where
Spoiler: show
I'm being tasked with trying to find a "dive fish" which I guess will mean I can go underwater in all those areas I've seen with stuff hidden underwater, but the dude tells me "it's in this place AGES away so go spend ages trying to work out how to get there and because it's pinball, end up making loads of mistakes on the way" :D
Perhaps I'll take your stance and just wander about seeing what happens.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah man, I just wondered about and things sort of came together quiet well for me :) .
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suffice to say I’m glad I stuck with this one.

Finished it last night. I had several moments during the playthrough where I seriously questioned what I was doing, each time I referred to Suits’ words and just thought “fuck it” and wandered about. Suddenly I’d get breakthroughs and make real progress. Then it went into overdrive and I couldn’t put it down. What a delight this game is.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Happy to hear man, glad you stuck with it.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

Played this just before xmas - liked it, but didn't love it, I played it to completion, but didn't feel at all compelled to 100% it - mainly because of how traversal works in the game.

I often found that simply getting from A to B (while looking straightforward on the map) could often require taking an extremely circuitous and counterintuitive route, and it started to do my head in after a while. The thought of scouring every inch of the map to hoover up the collectibles just made me feel stressed!