The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KSubzero1000

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Quick question: How many of you have both a Switch and a WiiU hooked up / ready to use?

I ask because as successful as the Switch turned out to be, it doesn't exactly have the best back catalogue, so I was wondering if some people are simply double-tracking: the Switch for the current stuff and the WiiU for the Wii / WiiU / VC games. Seems like the two platforms would be rather complementary in that regard.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 7:34 pm Quick question: How many of you have both a Switch and a WiiU hooked up / ready to use?

I ask because as successful as the Switch turned out to be, it doesn't exactly have the best back catalogue, so I was wondering if some people are simply double-tracking: the Switch for the current stuff and the WiiU for the Wii / WiiU / VC games. Seems like the two platforms would be rather complementary in that regard.
Quick answer - Not me.

It's something I've considered rather a lot, as the Wii U is great system for a number of things. Firstly for it's games but also other little things it did, my wife enjoys the Wii U For software, step counter and balance board for tracking herself. For the first few months I did run my Wii U and Switch in tandem on the main TV in the front room.

Everytime I get close to plumbing it back in, I remember that I don't really like playing Wii games on as I prefer a CRT for the Wii, then the emulation of older titles on the VC is often a little ropy and again, those types of games I prefer on original hardware and generally I have the option to play those games originally to hand anyway.

So yeah, I can certainly see the appeal to it and if it wasn't for my particular circumstances, I'd probably still have it set up.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Ah, interesting. Thanks.

I only have one HD TV and I'll probably buy a Switch in the next few months. Space is gonna be a little tight, but the idea of having four Nintendo generations available at the same time (NGC, WiiU, Switch) is rather appealing. I think I'll try and squeeze it all together somehow.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the GBA VC at the moment, even though I finished playing a GBA game on original hardware just a few days ago.
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 8:21 pm I'm very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the GBA VC at the moment, even though I finished playing a GBA game on original hardware just a few days ago.
Yeah, to go back to my original comment, I'm probably doing myself a disservice by saying that as, I don't really mean the emulation as such, more the controls and display.

There is some serious discolouration going on with some of the SNES and NES stuff on the VC.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KSubzero1000 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 7:34 pm Quick question: How many of you have both a Switch and a WiiU hooked up / ready to use?
I do. And PS3, 360, Xbox One and PS4.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I do, but a little differently - I essentially use the Wii U as a handheld upstairs now, with the Wii U console hooked up to the TV upstairs and the Switch dock set up downstairs, but the handheld aspects of both I use in tandem.

I’ll have a go on something now and again (the other day I played a couple of levels on Captain Toad) in bed. I find it’s excellent in that function and it remains a weirdly underrated console for me that isn’t going to disappear because of a few Switch ports. I have a lot of physical games for it - far more than my PS4 - that I’m not willing to part with. It will go downstairs again next time we fancy some Wii multiplayer stuff requiring the TV and waggle sticks, or when I finally play Bayonetta 2 or go back to Mario 3D World to finish those later levels with the Pro Controller. I’m looking forward to playing Wii Sports etc with the bairn some day.

Funny you mention the VC angle - I had a look on the store and the variety of classic games you can pick up on the Wii U is pretty damn impressive, certainly more so than the Switch right now! It’s surprising they haven’t lifted a lot of that over already really.

I love all the recent Nintendo consoles and still play them all, the fact they tap into my love for handheld gaming in their different ways is great for me at least. No reason to get rid of it.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I have my Wii U hooked up to my tv, and despite having owned a Switch since launch I have never used the dock and use it exclusively in handheld mode.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: August 7th, 2018, 10:25 pm Funny you mention the VC angle - I had a look on the store and the variety of classic games you can pick up on the Wii U is pretty damn impressive, certainly more so than the Switch right now! It’s surprising they haven’t lifted a lot of that over already really.
Yes, that's my main sticking point, really. Getting rid of the VC for Switch is a weird move, and the WiiU constitutes ridiculously value for space (so to speak) thanks to its broad catalogue of games. I couldn't imagine getting rid of it, although Suits has a point about having a separate Wii on a CRT monitor. I also don't have any hardware older than the 6th gen, so I'm afraid the quality differences in VC are lost on me...

I think I'll just begrudgingly unhook my PS2 to make way for the Switch. Although I'll keep it very close by just in case. Thanks for the replies, everyone! :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 7th, 2018, 10:08 pm I do. And PS3, 360, Xbox One and PS4.
Right, well, if we're showing off then, I have.... Mega Drive, GameCube, SNES, PS2........ :lol: .
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: August 8th, 2018, 9:14 am
ratsoalbion wrote: August 7th, 2018, 10:08 pm I do. And PS3, 360, Xbox One and PS4.
Right, well, if we're showing off then, I have.... Mega Drive, GameCube, SNES, PS2........ :lol: .
Haha!

If we are playing that game then I have 360, Xbox one, ps3, ps4, Wii, Wii u and a SNES mini all hooked up to the same tv. The mess of cables makes my wife happy on a daily basis!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

The 360 and Xbox one are probably both unnecessary but there’s the odd Xbox original or 360 game which aren’t backwards compatible yet
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Simonsloth wrote: August 8th, 2018, 9:47 am The 360 and Xbox one are probably both unnecessary but there’s the odd Xbox original or 360 game which aren’t backwards compatible yet
Like say... a few of those brilliant Cave exclusives? Or has that changed? (I honestly haven't checked ;) )
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There are still 80 odd games installed on my 360 that I can’t play anywhere else, including several Cave shmups.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Has anyone played the latest Layton: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy?
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

New Smash Direct:

New characters announced for Smash:

Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont, King K. Rool, Chrom and Dark Samus. They are all getting amiibos.

New stages include New Donk City Hall and Dracula's castle from Castlevania.

Dracula will appear as a stage boss, randomly.

Rathalos from Monster Hunter will show up as BOTH a boss and an assist trophy.

Shovel Knight is in Smash.....as an assist. So are Grey Fox from MGS, Knuckles from Sonic, Alucard from Symphony of the Night and...the moon from Majora's Mask.

There's a Super Smash Bros Ultimate LIMITED EDITION being released

-Copy of SSBU
-Ultimate Edition Nintendo GameCube Controller
-Nintendo GameCube Controller Adapter

There are roughly 800 music tracks for the new Smash and 103 stages.

34 of the music tracks will be from Castlevania.

This really looks like a hell of a game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ThirdDrawing wrote: August 8th, 2018, 5:29 pm Chrom and Dark Samus. They are all getting amiibos.
They can keep Chrom but hurrah for Dark Samus! Totally getting that amiibo! :P
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m actually thinking it’s worth getting just to have all those lovely music remixes in one place...
Suits

Post by Suits »

I gotta be honest, after that opening I was convinced we were getting a new Luigi’s Mansion.
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

I think the Luigi abuse is really going too far. Someone at Nintendo hates him with a distressing fervour that has only grown over the decades.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Daisy scoffs at the idea Luigi gets the rough end of the stick.