Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: August 11th, 2018, 11:29 pm
Alex79uk wrote: July 15th, 2018, 7:10 am JAN - Lumino City (Android)
MAR - Dark Souls 3 (PS4)
MAR - What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4)
MAR - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS4) MAR - Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
APR - Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception
MAY - Shadow Of The Colossus (PS4)
MAY - Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4)
JUN - God Of War (PS4)
JUL - Dying Light (PS4)
JUL - Resident Evil VII: Biohazard (PS4)
AUG - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)

I was really excited to start this, having come to the series fresh with Zero, and loving it. I was rather disappointed with Kiwami, however. The story was nowhere near as interesting, there was a lot of pointless running around and not half as much to do around the city. It felt like a real chore to push on, but I was determined to finish it.

BUT...

Glad I did. The story really picked up in the final few chapters, following plenty of twists and turns to a wholly satisfying climax. Really looking forward to Kiwami 2 now!
Good to know Alex. I am approaching the end of 0 and have 1 bought and downloaded ready to follow straight on
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Completed Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery. Such an odd game. I enjoyed it, thought some of it was great but was annoyed by the forced month break and the slight obtuseness of that process. What a soundtrack though.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I've managed to finish Golden Sun in-between bits of furious ninja carnage.

I tend to replay my favourite games rather regularly, which means that I'm not usually very prone to nostalgia. I haven't played this game very often however, and there were many sections that rustled my distant memories in all the right ways. Playing it again now, I'm more critical of some of its elements - the randomized encounters can be frustrating and the writing is often too verbose for its own good. But it does have truckloads of charm and personality, likeable characters, interesting locations and subplots, great visuals, a superb soundtrack, and possibly the best dungeon design in the genre. I honestly don't understand why so few other JRPGs draw inspiration from this game as to how to craft puzzle-heavy, mentally engaging Zelda-esque dungeons.

I even went through the trouble of painstakingly transcribing the endless password, so on to The Lost Age! (Which I haven't replayed at all until now.) I'm really excited to jump back into a game I remember so little about! :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

I think this received some praise on here but it didn't work for me on any level, really. Was happy to get it finished.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: July 15th, 2018, 7:10 am JAN - Lumino City (Android)
MAR - Dark Souls 3 (PS4)
MAR - What Remains Of Edith Finch (PS4)
MAR - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS4) MAR - Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
APR - Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception
MAY - Shadow Of The Colossus (PS4)
MAY - Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4)
JUN - God Of War (PS4)
JUL - Dying Light (PS4)
JUL - Resident Evil VII: Biohazard (PS4)
AUG - Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
AUG - Gorogoa (Android)

Brilliant. It's a puzzle game unlike anything else I've ever played. Just give it a try. The thought that must have gone in to designing the whole thing is baffling. So clever.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yakuza 0

This has probably ended up being one of my all time favourite games. Loved the story, characters, location, side quests, combat so basically all of it!. First experience with Yakuza so looking forward to playing them all through, if the rest are half as good then I will be very happy!

I want to take my shirt off and go outside and fight someone :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: August 14th, 2018, 4:32 pm Yakuza 0

This has probably ended up being one of my all time favourite games. Loved the story, characters, location, side quests, combat so basically all of it!. First experience with Yakuza so looking forward to playing them all through, if the rest are half as good then I will be very happy!

Woo! I was gonna get Yakuza Kiwami 2 when it comes out, but I'll hold off till you've finished the first one and we can have a relatively concurrent play through, might be good!
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Spoiler: show
January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7

June:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Bastion
Detroit
Vanquish
Battlefield 3 Singleplayer
Alice: Madness Returns

July:
Prince of Persia
The Last Guardian
Syndicate
Binary Domain
Call of Duty Classic HD

August:
Cave story 3ds
Eternal Darkness
15/08
Luigis Mansion

Another one off the backlog list. The simplicity, light heartedness and brevity were all welcome. Collecting the 50 boos was a delight rather than a chore and the game didn’t outstay it’s welcome. The final boss difficulty spike aside it was a great fun.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: August 14th, 2018, 8:25 pm
DomsBeard wrote: August 14th, 2018, 4:32 pm Yakuza 0

Woo! I was gonna get Yakuza Kiwami 2 when it comes out, but I'll hold off till you've finished the first one and we can have a relatively concurrent play through, might be good!
Yes I am having a palette cleanser with The Walking Dead before getting stuck back in Alex-Kun :lol:
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7

June:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Bastion
Detroit
Vanquish
Battlefield 3 Singleplayer
Alice: Madness Returns

July:
Prince of Persia
The Last Guardian
Syndicate
Binary Domain
Call of Duty Classic HD

August:
Cave story 3ds
Eternal Darkness
Luigis Mansion
16/08
Mickey’s castle of illusion
Super Mario Bros

I’m currently on a retro kick right now. It’s quite nice to be able to be able to play some classics for the first time. At one point I had an almost zen moment where I felt like a mario speed runner whizzing through level after level by the skin of my teeth with no lives lost.

Just started super mario bros 2 and it’s really thrown me that you can’t dispatch enemies by jumping on their head!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The Walking Dead Final Season Episode One.

A return to form by Telltale. New engine good and the story back to focusing on Clem so good and a "omg when is episode 2 out!?" Cliffhanger
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

7th Jan - Halo 4 (Xbox One)
13th Jan - Halo 5 (Xbox One)
4th Mar - Bayonetta 2 (Switch)
24th Apr - The Inpatient (PS4)
17th Jun - Gears of War 4 (Xbox One)
16th Aug - Life is Strange (Xbox One)

I finally got round to playing the well loved Life is Strange, and for the most part I found it a bit of a slog, but episodes 4 and 5 really picked up and turned the game around for me.

Had I not heard the massive praise over the past few years I'd have given up on it and not got to the point where I started to enjoy it, but I'm pleased I persevered.

I'll be starting Before the Storm tonight.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

^^ Definitely interested to see how you get on with Before the Storm directly after Life Is Strange. I just played BtS last week and there was a long break from the original game. Curious how the two compare side by side.

Prey Mooncrash

What a game. The ultimate goal - escaping an alien-infested moonbase with all 5 characters in one single run will forever be beyond me I think. It would take planning on the scale of Demon's Souls' Platinum and ice-cool execution to pull off. I escaped with all 5 characters (you can reset the steadily mounting threat level between characters and that's what I did), so I am calling it done. I still have 4 separate optional storylines to go back to at a later time. It took me 22 hours to get all 5 out alive....

I'm amazed how original it is, that the idea worked, and how incredibly well they did it. It's shot right to the top of the list of well-executed DLC for me.

I would urge anyone who liked Prey to give it a shot. And it's a very different experience to Prey so I think there's a lot there for people who don't fancy the former. You don't have to have finished Prey to play it, so maybe lots of people will come to it when the full package is released and on sale. :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: August 17th, 2018, 7:53 pm You don't have to have finished Prey to play it, so maybe lots of people will come to it when the full package is released and on sale. :)
Hm... I have little to no interest in Prey, but you're making a pretty good case for this DLC. I'll look into it if / when the opportunity presents itself. :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

You know something, I actually think you might like it.

*closes one eye and puts index finger on side of nose*

I think it is mechanically sound

Well ok, melee weapons are a bit of a faff, but everything else is awesome. One to look out for when it gets a deep discount.

I meant to ask, with the podcast coming up soon, did you start/finish Horizon Zero Dawn yet? :)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: August 17th, 2018, 9:10 pm I think it is mechanically sound
Sure, mate. I'll file your opinion on mechanically sound games right next to Ted Nugent's recommendation on vegan restaurants and the Pope's stance on the most comfortable condoms. :P

Chopper wrote: August 17th, 2018, 9:10 pm I meant to ask, with the podcast coming up soon, did you start/finish Horizon Zero Dawn yet? :)
I'm ashamed to report I haven't even started it yet...

The problem with being a complete luddite obsessive lunatic like myself is that you spend roughly 85% of your gaming time replaying old favorites and only 15% playing new things. I've been all over Dark Souls, Fire Emblem and Golden Sun lately, and am currently knee-deep in Ninja Gaiden again, cursing and cackling and Izuna Dropping my way through the joke that is Sigma 2 on Mentor. I'll definitely try to at least start HZD before the podcast, but I honestly don't know what I could contribute to the show as I'm sure that a lot of people here are significantly more knowledgeable than me when it comes to this type of game.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Getting real bored of the whole ‘anyone who doesn’t agree with me must be mocked’ schtick now Ksub
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote: August 17th, 2018, 11:25 pm Getting real bored of the whole ‘anyone who doesn’t agree with me must be mocked’ schtick now Ksub
Chopper and I like to tease each other's opposite tastes in gaming. It's all in good fun, man. I'm pretty sure he won't take this the wrong way, same as his novel in the RE7 thread made me giggle.

My one-off altercation with Alex did not stem from a simple disagreement, but from contradictory viewpoints of what constitutes conversational etiquette. I fully admit that I was a bit too aggressive towards him and I apologized for it.

...Anything else comes to mind? You make it sound like I'm just talking shit to people all day long.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yes, you misunderstand Flabyo, it’s a running joke we have going about our taste in games, all in good fun as KSub says.

No need to get riled up.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)
Apr 22 - Little King's Story (PC)
Apr 24 - Headlander (PC)
Apr 28 - Dex (PC)
Apr 30 - SUPERHOT (PC)
May 6 - Azure Striker Gunvolt (Switch)
May 7 - The Ball (PC)
May 21 - Drakensang (PC)
May 23 - Spectrum (PC)
May 25 - Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas (Switch)
May 27 - The Sexy Brutale (PC)
Jun 4 - Immortal Redneck (PC)
Jun 5 - Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight (PC)
Jun 11 - Prey (PC)
Jun 14 - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Switch)
Jun 16 - Scrap Garden (PC)
Jun 17 - LostWinds (PC)
Jun 20 - Straimium Immortaly (PC)
Jun 25 - Dreaming Sarah (PC)
Jun 26 - Poi: Explorer Edition (Switch)
Jun 29 - Dungeon Souls (PC)
Jul 2 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)
Jul 6 - Bleed 2 (Switch)
Jul 11 - Risen (PC)
Jul 18 - Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (PC)
Jul 22 - Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten (PC)
Aug 8 - Styx: Master of Shadows (PC)

This ends up being a fairly standard stealth game. Work your way through the levels dodging/killing enemies using your abilities. You get your standard dagger and a throwing knife as well as some magical stuff. You can create a clone of yourself to distract enemies or, with some upgrades, use it to hold down or kill them for you. You can also turn invisible for a limited time. Be wary that enemies bumping into you while you are invisible still sets off their suspicion or just outright grab and kill you. Lastly, you get Batman vision.

Levels and guard paths are well designed and there isn't too much waiting to get yourself through. There are a few different enemy types that boil down to what tricks don't work on them. Jumping is where things get a bit janky at times. When hanging on outcroppings, you need to hold the direction you want to jump to and wait a split second before the prompt appears. Doing it too fast can make you miss the jump, potentially leading to a death.

The most notable thing I have to say about this ends up being a spoiler. Without going into details, it pulled off something I've never seen in a videogame before. It is rather clever and is even foreshadowed fairly well. Won't mention anything else unless someone asks me to.