Comic Book Chatter

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Combine Hunter

Re: Comic Book Chatter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Not sure if this is the right place to talk Captain Marvel, but hey ho. I love the costume now that I've seen what it will be like in the film. It's one my all time favourite Super Hero outfits and I'm glad they've kept it fairly close to the source material
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I’ve got multiple volumes of Y The Last Man by my bed.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Have you read them? One of my top five series ever.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Not yet! They’re Tanya’s and awaiting my attention.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 6th, 2018, 12:03 pm I’ve got multiple volumes of Y The Last Man by my bed.
Great series and Brian K. Vaughan writes in a way that moves the reader pretty quickly. If you end up liking The Last Man, he has a bunch of other great series worth checking out.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

They are great! In my top three along with Garth Ennis’ The Boys and James Robinson’s Starman.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've just finished Gantz, a violent sci-fi seinen manga which reminds me at times of The Prisoner (the one filmed in Portmeirion), at other times of Berserk as it deals with some quite bleak existentialism (in a fairly heavy-handed way) and has some incredibly detailed art the more it goes on, and at other times the contents of a teenage lad's grubby mind. It starts pretty small and intriguing in scope and grows and grows, bringing in more and more layers and characters. It's told in a pretty straightforward way, however, with plenty of exposition dumps from characters who are as initially confused as the reader.

It's nowhere near as good as Berserk but for a palate cleanser, or the exact opposite, it made for a fun read, very pacey, lots of action, lots of twists, lots of fun little ideas. It's only the second manga I've ever properly read. I'm keen to explore further.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Read a couple of things yesterday.

Dark Night - A True Batman Story

An autobiographical retelling of a mugging Batman writer, Paul Dini, suffered in the early 90's. Quite interesting, a traumatic tale of one man's emotional struggle both before and after the event. Worth a read.

A Study In Emerald by Neil Gaiman

I wrote a short review on my seldom updated blog. If you can't be bothered reading that, I thought the book was OK, but was ultimately unsatisfied with the conclusion. Not one of Gaiman's best works.

Link to blog post here: https://gamesihaveplayed.wordpress.com/ ... il-gaiman/

(Disclaimer: I'm not overly happy with the review I've written. I'll probably edit it a bit when I had more time to think. This isn't one of those pretend it's rubbish for compliments things, I'm happy with the rest of what is on the blog, but I think this review needs a bit of work).
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: September 16th, 2018, 4:53 pm
Dark Night - A True Batman Story

An autobiographical retelling of a mugging Batman writer, Paul Dini, suffered in the early 90's. Quite interesting, a traumatic tale of one man's emotional struggle both before and after the event. Worth a read.
Yeah, I really liked that one. It's a sad tale for a lot of time, but gets pretty inspiring.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

So what's on everyone's monthly pull lists?

I currently get:

- Action Comics
- Superman
- Supergirl
- Adventures of the Super Sons
- Flash
- Titans
- Teen Titans
- Doomsday Clock
- Heroes in Crisis
- Strangers in Paradise
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Pitwar wrote: September 25th, 2018, 3:31 pm So what's on everyone's monthly pull lists?

I currently get:

- Action Comics
- Superman
- Supergirl
- Adventures of the Super Sons
- Flash
- Titans
- Teen Titans
- Doomsday Clock
- Heroes in Crisis
- Strangers in Paradise
Batman
Batwoman (now ended)
Green Lanterns
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

DomsBeard wrote: September 25th, 2018, 4:07 pm Batman
Batwoman (now ended)
Green Lanterns
Are you going to check out the new Morrison written GL series, or is Hal not your bag?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Pitwar wrote: September 25th, 2018, 4:21 pm
DomsBeard wrote: September 25th, 2018, 4:07 pm Batman
Batwoman (now ended)
Green Lanterns
Are you going to check out the new Morrison written GL series, or is Hal not your bag?
Nah never been a fan of Hal. I am a bit stuck in my bat ways the only way I happened upon Lanterns was buying every single issue of every Rebirth in 2016.

I also love Saga but wait until the Volumes come out
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The only single I’m buying these days are ‘The wicked and the divine’.

I buy the odd trades that interests me, but I’m not rabidly following anything right now. (Saga I do like, but my local library gets the trades in for that so...)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I have the Marvel Unlimited app, so I have a lot freedom in reading whatever strikes my fancy. Lately, I've decided to just cut through all the Ultimate Marvel comics, of which I stopped reading somewhere around 2007. It's been a strange ride.
Made stranger by the fact that my only non-Ultimate reading as of late has been 90's era Venom comics, in preparation for the movie. Having read most of them now, I can say, yikes, they've never been that good, huh?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I decided to start reading the original comic book series XIII, which the game was based on. Not sure if it's lost something in translation from the original French text, but it's fantastically badly written. Just absolutely awful! Enjoying it nonetheless :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:25 pm I have the Marvel Unlimited app,
I went looking for a DC equivalent, and didn't find one :(

There's this, which really isn't what I'd be looking for, but it's the closest available at the moment it seems.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/06/2 ... e-designed
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:34 pm
duskvstweak wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:25 pm I have the Marvel Unlimited app,
I went looking for a DC equivalent, and didn't find one :(

There's this, which really isn't what I'd be looking for, but it's the closest available at the moment it seems.

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/06/2 ... e-designed
Yeah, my friend has it but doesn't like it. It's not really a good option for comics right now, more for the streaming options. Maybe that will change down the road. It's a very select collection of comics, with many gaps and uncompleted runs. I was hoping it would be like Marvel app and I'd be able to read a bunch of 70s Batman comics and catch up on Green Lantern. Guess not.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

As a life long comic fan, I feel there has been a gaping hole in my awareness and knowledge of the medium for far too long. A hole that should have been filled many years ago, but I've neglected, and with every passing year has only got bigger.

And that's why I'm reading Spider-Man.

From the start.

Yes, never one to do things by half, I'm of the opinion it's all or nothing. I'm like it with movies, games, books, and comics. I've started with issue 1 (well, actually Amazing Fantasy 15, which was the anthology comic he made his first appearance in) and well, I'm loving it!

I read two Spidey books about 20 years ago and didn't like them. So I decided I didn't like Spider-Man, and never went back. But these stories are good! I'm about 15 issues in and loving it. The art is kind of old fashioned, and the dialogue is of its time, but they're totally charming and winning me over.

Good call. I've even put my New 52 Nightwing read through on hold to get a few more issues of the web-slinger's adventures under my belt. Can't believe I avoided him all these years!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Spidey is a little like Batman in that there’s been so many different writers with their own take on the character, so many gritty reboots, so many good, great and awful storylines, that you’re pretty. Much bound to find something in there you like.