Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by Simonsloth »

Spoiler: show
January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7

June:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Bastion
Detroit
Vanquish
Battlefield 3 Singleplayer
Alice: Madness Returns

July:
Prince of Persia
The Last Guardian
Syndicate
Binary Domain
Call of Duty Classic HD

August:
Cave story 3ds
Eternal Darkness
Luigis Mansion
Mickey’s castle of illusion
Super Mario Bros
Silent Hill 2 HD Collection
999: 9 persons, 9 doors...
Shenmue
07/09

Shenmue 2

Vastly superior to the original in my opinion. The quality of life improvements like warping, time skipping and being able to ask passers by where characters/buildings are were all welcomed. I preferred the story and the fight sequences were better.

There were still some ridiculous design decisions a lot of them were highlighted in the podcast.
i hated the planks!!!! The instant fail boss QTEs despite technically defeating the enemy without being hit once. I also think the game should have ended with lan di heading off in the helicopter. The final sequence was so pedestrian in pace and very story heavy that I suspect no-one who played it back on release will remember what happened for Shenmue 3. It almost felt like a tutorial for a separate game.
I kickstarted the 3rd game on the basis of the legendary status of the series and in the hope that this collection would be made. I’m glad I played them. The first game felt like a tech demo, the second seemed like the full game and hopefully the third will fine tune the foibles and be the fantastic Shenmue game I hope it will be.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: September 1st, 2018, 9:01 pm 7th Jan - Mafia 3 (XBO)
29th Jan - Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (XBO)
31st Jan - The Room: Old Sins (iOS)
20th Feb - Celeste (XBO)
12th Mar - Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (PS4)
2nd Apr - Prey (2017) (XBO)
29th Apr - Dynasty Warriors 9 (XBO)
7th May - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PS4)
17th May - Shadow Warrior (XBO)
20th June - Watch Dogs 2 (XBO)
9th July - Forgotton Anne (XBO)
29th July - Assassin’s Creed Origins (XBO)
1st September - Superhot (XBO)
7th September - Layers of Fear (XBO)

A very decent ‘walking simulator’, albeit one that relies a little too much on jump scares. It’s not on the same tier as Raptue or Firewatch, but it filled a few hours and did some interesting things with switching level geometry significantly while your back is turned, which is a favourite thing of mine in games since Arkham Knight did it.

I will say one thing, if the ‘creepy doll’ thing really bothers you, you should probably not play this.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

SNK Heroines on Switch.

Imagine Eurotrash, the person behind some of the questionable bits towards women in Metal Gear Solid and Fatal Fury having a baby and here we are.

Makes Dead Or Alive look like Nuns. You can actually dress up all the characters how you want and make them pose in certain ways and also make them look ''scared'' or ''troubled''. I did just spend 10 minutes playing dress up with the female Terry Bogard :lol:

Had more fun with it than Marvel vs Capcom Infinite at least. The last boss was giving Shao Khan a good run as a cheap as chips final boss.

Bizarre
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

January 2018:
Bleed
Crackdown
Rez Infinite
Resident evil directors cut
Bioshock
Resident evil 2
Bioshock 2
Resident evil 3:Nemesis

Feb 2018:
Bioshock infinite
Def Jam: fight for Ny
Zone of The Enders
Resident Evil:code Veronica
Resident evil zero
Hyper light drifter
Braid
Yoshi’s Woolly World
Resident evil 4

March:
resident evil 5
resident evil 6
Lostwinds
lost winds 2
Ico 3D
Dead space
Dead space 2
Heavenly Sword

May:
Horizon Zero Dawn plus Frozen Wilds
Enslaved
Dmc
Steinsgate 0
Hellblade
Shadow of the Colossus Remake
Resident Evil 7

June:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Bastion
Detroit
Vanquish
Battlefield 3 Singleplayer
Alice: Madness Returns

July:
Prince of Persia
The Last Guardian
Syndicate
Binary Domain
Call of Duty Classic HD

August:
Cave story 3ds
Eternal Darkness
Luigis Mansion
Mickey’s castle of illusion
Super Mario Bros
Silent Hill 2 HD Collection
999: 9 persons, 9 doors...
Shenmue

September:
Shenmue 2
08/09
Half Life (PC)

I’ve been playing this on my pc on and off for the last couple of months but had been stuck several times along the way. I had forgotten how hard and long it is and without liberal use of the quicksave I would not have finished it. The plaforming sections are painful and the final boss made me furious (again) but it’s done now.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

DomsBeard wrote: September 8th, 2018, 3:56 pm SNK Heroines on Switch.

Imagine Eurotrash, the person behind some of the questionable bits towards women in Metal Gear Solid and Fatal Fury having a baby and here we are.

Makes Dead Or Alive look like Nuns. You can actually dress up all the characters how you want and make them pose in certain ways and also make them look ''scared'' or ''troubled''. I did just spend 10 minutes playing dress up with the female Terry Bogard :lol:

Had more fun with it than Marvel vs Capcom Infinite at least. The last boss was giving Shao Khan a good run as a cheap as chips final boss.

Bizarre
"ARE YOU OKAY?!!!"
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: September 7th, 2018, 10:51 pm 7th Jan - Mafia 3 (XBO)
29th Jan - Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (XBO)
31st Jan - The Room: Old Sins (iOS)
20th Feb - Celeste (XBO)
12th Mar - Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (PS4)
2nd Apr - Prey (2017) (XBO)
29th Apr - Dynasty Warriors 9 (XBO)
7th May - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PS4)
17th May - Shadow Warrior (XBO)
20th June - Watch Dogs 2 (XBO)
9th July - Forgotton Anne (XBO)
29th July - Assassin’s Creed Origins (XBO)
1st September - Superhot (XBO)
7th September - Layers of Fear (XBO)
9th September - Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (XBO)

One I’d played through before on 360, but that the True achievements contest wanted me to play part of so I thought I’d play it again. Everything feels just right in this one, and I just breezed through it enjoying it immensely. Probably more than I enjoyed it the first time I played it actually, not sure if there are mechanical changes for this version or not, but I don’t recall finding it as smooth going before.

I should probably play the second one at some point, given then third one is out this month.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

10/02 - Final Fantasy II (PS Vita)
04/30 - Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U)
10/03 - Celeste (Switch)
10/03 - Monster Hunter World (PS4)
13/03 - Bioshock: Infinite - Burial at Sea Episode 2
17/03 - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS Vita)
13/04 - Final Fantasy III (PS Vita)
23/04 - God of War (PS4)
02/05 - StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void (PC)
13/05 - Into the Breach (PC)
17/05 - Yakuza 0 (PS4)
28/05 - Hollow Knight (PC)
01/06 - Axiom Verge (Switch)
03/06 - Zone of the Enders (PS3)
15/07 - Frostpunk (PC)
22/7 - Secret of Mana (Emulator)
13/08 - Final Fantasy V (Emulator)
09/09 - Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

I really, really, REALLY liked this. Still not done with it, as will likely mop up everything. Plus will be eager to check out the DLC. Not as ground breaking as Arkham Asylum was, as everything this game does has been done else where, but my enjoyment is on par. Plus, I just really like the character. (Unlike the Arkham games, this ends very well.)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Combine Hunter wrote: September 9th, 2018, 3:04 pm 09/09 - Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

I really, really, REALLY liked this.
I'm curious about the boss fights. Without going into spoilers, are there any that stood out to you as being particularly ingenious / well designed in any way other than presentation? Like Mister Freeze in Arkham City for example? Or are they glorified fighting sections?
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

There are two encounters that I think are really well designed. I don't think they are quite as genius as Mr. Freeze, which I think is one of the all time great boss fights, but certainly aren't glorified fighting sections or quick time event heavy. (Though, there are boss fights that are just that.)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

04/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Normal)
05/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Jetstream Sam DLC (Normal)
06/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Blade Wolf DLC (Normal)
10/01 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Hard)
14/01 - Killer Is Dead (Hard)
18/01 - Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut
20/02 - Okamiden
23/02 - Bayonetta 2 (Normal)
27/02 - Shadow of the Colossus
02/03 - Monster Hunter World
06/03 - Snake Pass
08/03 - Deus Ex: The Fall
10/03 - Bayonetta 2 (Hard)
22/03 - Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
28/04 - Warden: Melody of the Undergrowth
03/05 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
05/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Nero/Dante - Devil Hunter)
08/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Vergil - Devil Hunter)
12/05 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
13/05 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition (Lady/Trish - Devil Hunter)
21/05 - Omensight
26/05 - Mafia II
27/05 - God of War
31/05 - God of War: Ascension
12/06 - Unravel Two
15/06 - Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion
23/06 - Vampyr
05/07 - Cat Quest
14/07 - The Legend of Korra (Extreme)
20/07 - The Vagrant
28/07 - A Hat in Time
31/07 - Way of the Samurai 4
25/08 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (Knight)
25/08 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
10/09 - Zone of the Enders The 2nd Runner : MVRS

While everyone else is raving about Spider-Man I was more interested in playing this old PS2 robot game. It was a fun time going through it again though. Slick and stylish, and lightning fast. This version is easily the best too. Really sharp look with great art design, and this time round a rock solid 60fps throughout, unlike the previous generation remasters. This one also have a vastly superior sub-weapon system too. It separates out the grab to its own dedicated button, so it doesn't take up a sub slot. All the other subs you can now switch between on the fly with the D-pad as well. Gives the game a much greater sense of variety as its much easier to mix things up instead of having to dive in to the menu to change. Definitely made me use them much more liberally.

I had a bit of a weird point at the end though. The penultimate boss of this game has a reputation for being hard as nails, while the final boss is a bit of a walkover in comparison. More of a victory lap for the finale. Playing it previously that's the experience I had too, but not this time around. I actually found the penultimate boss to be not a huge deal, while the final boss this time around was the hard one. I don't think they actually changed anything though. The thing that was tripping me up was a certain attack pattern in the final phase, which I do remember happening before. I don't remember it being so crushingly hard though. I even resorted to looking up guides to find something I was missing, and no one even mentioned that attack pattern. Eventually I worked out how to stop the boss from doing it and it wasn't too bad after that. I guess because most people just never saw that attack pattern and managed to stop it from even coming out.

With this remaster there's been some rumblings of a third game getting made again. And as much as Konami is spat upon these days, I don't think I'm actually completely against it. It seems that the main people behind ZoE are actually still at Konami. It's not like Metal Gear where Kojima leaving basically means the series is as good as dead, since he apparently didn't have much to do with these games anyway, despite his name being on them. Alongside that the idea was floated in an interview that Cygames might be the ones to actually do the development, as they were the ones who did this remaster too. I could see a situation where the leads from the old games come together and oversee a development team at Cygames, outside of Konami, actually doing a good job of it. Konami could just play a passive role as the owners of the IP, while everyone else just gets on with actually making a game. I'm not going to hold my breath for that ever actually happening, but I can see how it could. And if it did, I wouldn't be against that idea.
James

Post by James »

3rd Jan - Hidden Folks (Android)
13th Jan - Bleed 2 (PC)
13th Jan - Bleed (Xbox One)
14th Jan - The Sexy Brutale (Xbox One)
16th Jan - Scanner Sombre (PC)
17th Jan - Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4)
21st Jan - Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (Xbox One)
24th Feb - Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (RetroPie - PSX)
13th Mar - BioShock Infinite (Remastered) (Xbox One) [1999 Mode]
13th Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 1 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
15th Mar - Actual Sunlight (Android)
18th Mar - BioShock (Remastered) (Xbox One)
19th Mar - BioShock (Remastered) (Xbox One) [Survivor Mode]
21st Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
23rd Mar - BioShock Infinite: Burial At Sea - Part 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One) [1998 Mode]
26th Mar - BioShock 2 (Remastered) (Xbox One)
10th Apr - Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (Xbox One)
11th Apr - Blackwood Crossing (Xbox One)
24th Apr - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Xbox One)
27th Apr - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Xbox One)
3rd Jun - Dark Souls: Remastered (Xbox One)
9th Jun - Cuphead (Xbox One)
13th Jun - ABZU (Xbox One)
18th Jul - Hollow Knight (Switch)
6th Aug - Dark Souls II: Scholar Of The First Sin (Xbox One)
31st Aug - Hitman (Xbox One)
5th Sep - Hitman: Sniper Assassin (Xbox One)
11th Sep - Marvel's Spider-Man

Summer report card!

ABZU because I love the feeling of freedom that the swimming in that game has, and was delighted to play through again. Speaking of which...

Dark Souls and Hitman because that's just me in a nutshell. Hollow Knight and Hitman: Sniper Assassin because Dark Souls and Hitman. All great, of course, because I've either played them before, or they are Hollow Knight. It's wonderfully dark, and (despite uneven difficulty in spots) incredibly satisfying.

Spider-Man, then? I've had a generally bad time with Sony first party, and have become increasingly disillusioned with the standard open world structure (of Assassin's Creed, Arkham City/Knight, Shadow Of Mordor, etc), and yet...

I had a great time with Spider-Man. From the off, the combat and especially the traversal had me hooked. I was more than happy to immediately head for the comms masts to unlock the map, and then run about icon chasing on my way between each main mission. By the time I wrapped the main story this morning, I had already polished off almost all of the side content.

Just about every single aspect of the narrative and presentation was solid, and occasionally spectacular. From support characters being given time to develop beyond their relationship to Peter, to a story that felt familiar, yet distinct, I enjoyed the world Insomniac created within the frame that the established Marvel canon provides.

Although I feel like I can explain why I liked Spider-Man much more than Arkham Knight or Shadow Of Mordor or even Assassin's Creed: Origins, I'm not sure my arguments would hold much water if put to the test. Notably, with those games, I left plenty of side content on my plate, and was still was ready to be done with them by the two-thirds mark. But I finished Spider-Man desperate for more, and have already grabbed the season pass to make sure I'm in on that as soon as it's available. That's not necessarily a tenable argument, just an observation of how I responded differently to Spider-Man.

I have a few crime events to finish up in order to fully complete the game to 100%, and I'm going straight back to do so as soon as I hit 'Submit'. Been a long time since I felt that way about a game. Even Breath Of The Wild didn't tempt me back for the DLC. Anyway, I've got criminals to punch. See ya!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

My theory is that open world games are at their best when the means of traversing them is fun in and of itself. It’s a lot of the reason I adore Sunset Overdrive, and even have fondness for shonkier fare like Koei’s Attack on Titan games.

If I have to move around your giant world a a lot, then that needs to be a fun thing to do. Even games I like a lot like Horizon and Assassin’s Creed Origins end up leaving me to resort to fast travel eventually.

(GTA eventually realised this too, 5 has way more vehicular flair than any of the previous games, and then you look at where Saints Row went with its 4th incarnation as well...)
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I think you've got a very good point there, Flab. I can't stick with the genre for the most part these days, and I do feel like BotW killed my enthusiasm for every other open world game besides, say, Forza Horizon 3 or GTAV. I think the commonality there is obvious. Horizon was quite enjoyable with the early story stuff but as soon as I was out onto the map, I was bored by option paralysis and a very small number of tools with which to interact with that world. AC:O was a bit better because it was mostly within towns and cities where the traversal and mild stealth elements shine but even that became meaninglessly big once I reached Alexandria.

I don't like Spider-man or superhero stuff, just never really done it for me and I find the oversaturation of comic stuff across all media pretty off-putting, but purely because of the traversal, I might be in for this when it's on sale. There's quite a lot of overlap with James' and my tastes so I'll put my faith in the JC. And if I don't like it, it'll be down to my particularities, anyway.
James

Post by James »

I definitely agree. Traversal is the largest part of most open world games, and whilst good driving, parkour or horse riding can be fun and impressive, it's tough to keep that feeling fresh after 40 hours or so. In BOTW, I felt like I was constantly changing up my means of getting about, whereas in Spider-Man I had to be on the ball to keep my momentum going.

The other thing both these games had is verticality. I certainly could get into a plane or helicopter in GTA, but I always found them more trouble than they were worth. Wildlands is another recent game I'd point to as having fun traversal, entirely due to its helicopters. I could drop a helicopter pretty much right next to me at any point, and be up and flying in seconds. I had great fun with that, and found the flying to be incredibly intuitive, even if the number of rockets and SAM sites later in the game started to dampen my spirits a little.

I make no promises regarding Spider-Man, as my enjoyment hasn't been universal. My own particularities are undoubtedly also a factor, but I do think the traversal is pretty special.
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

January - Jade Empire: Special Edition (PC)
February - Resident Evil HD Remaster, Jill playthrough (PC)
February - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)
February - Super Metroid (SNES Classic Mini)
February - Resident Evil HD Remaster, Chris playthrough (PC)
March - The Walking Dead: Michonne (PC)
March - Tomb Raider: Legend (PS3)
May - Resident Evil 4 HD (PC)
June - The Walking Dead: A New Frontier (PC)
August - Tomb Raider: Anniversary (PS3)

September - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

There's a very sinister cutscene that plays in Phantom Doctrine where an agent is strapped down in a black site and pumped full of life-threatening drugs to extract a confession. I actually groaned, "You bastards!" before realising the black site was my own base and my guys were the ones doing the interrogating. Ok, not so nefarious at all when you think about it! Ahem.

I've been locked in a life-and-death struggle with this game for a few weeks now, and while there were many moments of frustration, and the running time is much too long for my taste (what game would not benefit from being just 6-8 hours long? :) ), my overall feelings toward it are very positive (now that I have, blessedly, finally finished it).

The gameplay is solid, if a little repetitive at the start of the game. Later, when you have your base established, you can take or leave filler missions. I was able to critical path the game by ensuring I had a good income to offset the danger posed by enemy agent cells (you have to move hideout at a dollar cost when the danger level gets critical) and could mostly leave them be and concentrate on the campaign.

The campaign itself was good fun, and while not overwhelmingly Eighties, made good use of the geopolitical landscape of the time, and the plot was agreeably integrated with the period as well.

The Xcom-like missions were mostly fun, and had a huge emphasis on stealth, so they took quite a while to complete. A typical mission is maybe 12-15 turns, with the more complex ones reaching 30 turns, and there was quite a bit of save-scumming on the harder ones.

Reviews for the game are fairly mixed, but fair - everybody seems to have had a different tolerance for different parts of the game. There is also an approach that can be taken to missions that is considered 'game breaking' by some - the use of disguises - but I wasn't tempted to go down that route. At the very least, it can get you through a sticky mission a bit more easily, as the game can be very difficult in places.

If you like methodical, turn-based action, with a load of perks and modifiers, this could be the game for you. I found it very good overall.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’m a little way into Phantom Doctrine and it definitely is a ‘throw you in at the deep ends kind of game. I’ve left off it for the time being, I’ll come back to it when I have the proper time to dedicate to picking apart how to actually play it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

It is quite baffling at the start all right! Some tips:

Get the 'increased forging' workshop options set up as soon as they become available and assign agents to the slots.

Also try and concentrate on workshop options that save you money or reduce danger at the beginning as these provide the greatest benefits over time. So forging, hideout danger reduction etc.

My upgrade path at the start was, 1 Infirmiary Slots (at least two), 2 Better Forging, 3 Decrease danger .... then every forging upgrade I could get.

Do not bother upgrading your investigation room or even assigning an agent to it. All that does is auto-play the corkboard game for you, and much slower.

Always send two agents together to investigate suspicious activity. If they travel alone they can be ambushed and you have to pay a ransom ($1000), which can really sabotage your game early on.

Stealth takedowns (which need your agent to have more HP than the takedownee) are your friend. If you see a perk to increase health for an agent, take it.

After a few stealth takedowns, enemy guards become suspicious. So hide bodies to make life easier, or a full alarm is sounded. This way, suspicious guards can still be avoided. If you send your team in groups of two, one to takedown, one to hide the body in the same turn, that works well.

Something I didn't realise for a long time - your last three moves in a mission are auto-saved. So you can roll back a turn or two, you don't need to restart the mission like I was doing for quite a while. :oops:

Headshots and special moves cost awareness, which affects your dodge capability. So it's a risk/reward thing whether to go for a headshot, while leaving your agent vulnerable to other enemies on the map.

Get into cover, it really helps.

You don't have to do all the recon missions, they are just practice at the start of the game. Also, the documents and loot don't really need to be collected, though they do result in better gear.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Oh, I forgot the most important thing!

The single best item you can give your guys is the smoke grenade. It interrupts enemy line of sight, so if you've got a downed teammate, or are stuck in no man's land carrying an injured guy, or just need to cross open ground to evacuate, drop a smoke grenade and you are golden.

In a 5-man team I'd have three of them carrying smoke grenades. Crucial.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I got a bad ending on Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.

So I guess the idea is to go back and play the branches I missed? It's my first visual novel, and I was expecting a bit more characterisation, story and, well novel-ish elements.

I guess there was some characterisation in the sense of character-revealing interaction, but it was a pretty slight experience overall. I suspect there is something I'm not getting here.