Dragonball FighterZ

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Dragonball FighterZ

Post by Stanshall »

With last week's Switch release, and massive numbers still on PS4, I thought this would merit a thread.

Having played some more accessible fighting games recently with Blade Strangers, SNK Heroines and, most pertinently, BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, I've been looking forward to this one. I'd heard it was the best Arc System Works fighter in a long time and while I know nothing about the licence or franchise, nor much of the previous ASW games, it looked incredibly flashy and very anime in screenshots I'd seen. It's actually much much more impressive in motion. I can't put too fine a point on that: Even on Switch, this looks like a live action cartoon. It is absolutely stunning. In terms of raw intention and execution, it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen. I know that the budget and so on will be far in excess but put it alongside SNK Heroines and you realise just how awfully limited that game is.

This is before you've even approached the gameplay. It's so fast and fluid and responsive, it's like little else I've played in the genre. I've never played much MvC and I guess the air dashing and juggling is probably reminiscent of that series but it's not just that, it also reminds me almost of Killer Instinct with the combo strings, only they are so much more impressive and have much more impact here. It's very accessible, in fact, with auto combos galore and easy inputs even for your planet-melting ultras but it has so much depth and you have such a range of options at your disposal at all times, it's layer upon layer of mind games and mix-ups and fast decision making. It's hands down the best fighting game on the Switch, in my opinion, and the best fighting game I've played since SF4. I am also absolutely shit at it.

I mean, I could and no doubt will go on much more at some point. I must must must make special mention of the way it seamlessly transitions into special moves and supers and ultras without missing a beat or pulling you out of it with goofy physics like SFV. Some of them are so excessive and EPIC in the original sense, that you may well laugh out loud with the joy of it, as I did the first few times. It's like it's Saturday morning, you're stuffed full of sugary cereals, and you're sitting six inches from the telly as the finest cartoon wares of Japan and France are beamed directly into your spongelike mind, which is being blown apart.

Anyone else tempted? It is a true great of this generation. I've copied a couple of clips below from fights this weekend. It looks half as insanely fun as it plays.

https://twitter.com/_Stanshall/status/1 ... 75712?s=09

https://twitter.com/_Stanshall/status/1 ... 15458?s=09
Suits

Re: Dragonball FighterZ

Post by Suits »

I sometimes wish I enjoyed the gameplay of fighters but they just don’t make my thumbs dance.

I do however enjoy the artwork, culture, meta’s and reading peoples tales about these games.

Good idea starting the tread man.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I have it on Xbox One (enhanced for X), which is the best looking/performing version.

I have no interest in or knowledge of Dragonball, and I haven’t put a great deal of time into this yet, but I am a fan of ASW fighters and I can confirm that this game is much more accessible than BB/GG and looks quite astounding.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I still think Guilty Gear Xrd just edges it on being the prettiest fighting game, but that’s mainly because I don’t really like Toriyama’s art style much.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Same friend who gifted me his base PS4 gave me a copy of the game as well. My sentiment is very much like yours and I fell in love with Dragon Ball when I saw it on French and Spanish TV in the early nineties, so there's that attachment to it as well. Haven't been able to play it as much as I would like to, though.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

ratsoalbion wrote: September 30th, 2018, 6:19 pm I have it on Xbox One (enhanced for X), which is the best looking/performing version.

I have no interest in or knowledge of Dragonball, and I haven’t put a great deal of time into this yet, but I am a fan of ASW fighters and I can confirm that this game is much more accessible than BB/GG and looks quite astounding.
As little as I played on it, I really do now regret getting rid of my X. I'd love to see how this moves on it.
Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

I am a long-standing Dragon ball fan since the early 90s. This game is stunning to me. The amount of love and attention that Arc Systems have.put into this is just staggering. The vast majority of even basic attacks that each character uses are based on attacks they've made in the manga. That's before you even get to the cut scenes and quotes. It's ridiculous. I am not a big fighting game afficionado, but I love to play this. I'm also delighted to see that it has become such a big hit on the e Sports circuit and with serious, technically minded fighting game fans.