Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by ratsoalbion »

DomsBeard wrote: October 5th, 2018, 10:43 am Watched the first two episodes of Ozark last night and I have to say it was very good.
My g/f has been mainlining that.
aidopotato

Post by aidopotato »

duskvstweak wrote: September 28th, 2018, 9:23 pm I've been watching Ken Burn's Vietnam documentary. Has kind of put me in a fowl mood. Having to take a break halfway in as to not fall down a angry, depressing hole.
Yeah for real. Finished watching it last week, and while I'm happy I did (because it's an excellent doc, and really, I never had much of a clue about what the deal with 'Nam was) the whole thing felt like a terrible, horrific, tragic satire.

Speaking of horrible, tragic satires, well into the latest series of Bojack Horseman, which continues to be one of the smartest, funniest, darkest shows on at the moment.

Also watched 'Black '47' over the weekend. Revenge drama set during the Irish famine with brave paddy Irishman giving the British devil what for. By turns schlocky and searing. So tonally dissonant, but compelling none the less.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 5th, 2018, 10:51 am
DomsBeard wrote: October 5th, 2018, 10:43 am Watched the first two episodes of Ozark last night and I have to say it was very good.
My g/f has been mainlining that.
It's brilliant. I found it a bit slow to start but once it gets going it's just excellent, every episode. Season two is even better.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Maniac in a nutshell: easy recommendation, though I don't think it earned it's ten episode running time. If it was a tight 4-5 episodes, or movie length, it would be something even better - not every story benefits from a longer, serialised format. But yeah, still a lot of great ideas, that I won't spoil at all.

One movie that I would recommend even more is The Invitation. At 100 minutes it's tight and tense, and knows how to create an feeling of somethings a bit... off. You may know where it's going, but it's a movie that builds and releases tension in very interesting ways, and maintains that all the way through.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: October 5th, 2018, 11:24 pm

One movie that I would recommend even more is The Invitation. At 100 minutes it's tight and tense, and knows how to create an feeling of somethings a bit... off. You may know where it's going, but it's a movie that builds and releases tension in very interesting ways, and maintains that all the way through.
I 100% agree with you. Much like Get Out it gets under your skin and is well worth watching.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Personally, I really like the premise of The Invitation, but I find the execution to be lacking in comparison, especially in the acting department. Definitely worth watching, though.
Joshihatsumitsu

Oh.... I love Get Out! Let me change my recommendation to Get Out and The Invitation. Make it a double feature! Get Out would edge out, though they are different beasts,
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Finished season one of American Vandel, which was good.

Also started Norsemen on Netflix. I really like it. It's a Norwegian comedy, set in the 8th century. It's filmed in both the native Norse language and then reshot in English. They only have the English recordings on Netflix, it's pretty good though. Quite understated, not really laugh out loud, but I've enjoyed the first three episodes.
Joshihatsumitsu

The Belko Experiment - for those unfamiliar with the movie: imagine a satire about the competitive cutthroat corporate world, where people are pitted against each other in a life and death struggle for survival, and then take the satire out of it.

I like the cast, and I like James Gunn who gets screenplay and producer credit. And it is directed by Greg McLean, an Australian director who best know for Wolf Creek, and he is a very competent director. Gets the job done, nothing amazing. Though I can't help but wonder what sort of energy James Gunn would have brought to the movie if he directed it, because the movie really needed something. Maybe it needed to be more campy? More over-the-top? It's an absurd concept, and if it was more gonzo and cartoony it might work, but Belko is a little too flat.

So my recommendation: watch Battle Royale! It's so much better.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: October 7th, 2018, 3:18 am The Belko Experiment - for those unfamiliar with the movie: imagine a satire about the competitive cutthroat corporate world, where people are pitted against each other in a life and death struggle for survival, and then take the satire out of it.

I like the cast, and I like James Gunn who gets screenplay and producer credit. And it is directed by Greg McLean, an Australian director who best know for Wolf Creek, and he is a very competent director. Gets the job done, nothing amazing. Though I can't help but wonder what sort of energy James Gunn would have brought to the movie if he directed it, because the movie really needed something. Maybe it needed to be more campy? More over-the-top? It's an absurd concept, and if it was more gonzo and cartoony it might work, but Belko is a little too flat.

So my recommendation: watch Battle Royale! It's so much better.
Haha. I watched this the other day too on a 12 hour plane flight. It’s a missed opportunity in one sense as Gunn directing would have been fantastic but as a in-flight movie was perfect. It doesn’t demand too much of your attention, it’s over the top and you can see where it’s going from the very start but was great fun.

It strikes me as Battle Royale crossed with cube with the quality more in line with the latter.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Watching the Defenders in preparation for Season 3 of Daredevil.

Struggling through it. My fault as I tried and failed to get into Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Sigourney Weaver being Sigourney Weaver is all good though
Joshihatsumitsu

Mohawk (2017) - after seeing the wasted opportunity that was The Belko Experiment, it was refreshing to see a movie like Mohawk. It's a film with a considerably lower budget and limited resources that works very well, and actually uses those limitations to its advantage. No wasting opportunities here.

I don't want to over-hype it - it is flawed in the way that all debut films are flawed (very, very few get everything right the first time around). But if you temper your expectations accordingly, you're in for a very confidently made movie. It's made with a lot of love and respect.

Just be warned - there will be blood (Karo syrup maybe?!!), and because there's pretty good practical special effects and make-up (love my practical effects!), it will be wonderfully gross!

Edit: as it turns out, not Ted Geoghegan's debut, but he's second movie! Oh well... I'll leave my mistakes in... :oops:
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

DomsBeard wrote: October 8th, 2018, 8:24 pm Watching the Defenders in preparation for Season 3 of Daredevil.

Struggling through it. My fault as I tried and failed to get into Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Sigourney Weaver being Sigourney Weaver is all good though
I was underwhelmed by Defenders. Huge Daredevil fan, myself, and I really liked the first season of Jessica Jones and half of Luke Cage, but Defenders never had lift-off for me.
But, I'm very excited for season three of Daredevil!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah I am only watching it to see where Matt is at the start of Season 3. The last episode did pick up with the return of
Spoiler: show
Stick
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just went through the first two seasons of The Good Place after ignoring it for a bit. Now, I love it and am in for the long haul. Very funny, thought out and willing to change things up.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

duskvstweak wrote: October 9th, 2018, 3:51 pm I just went through the first two seasons of The Good Place after ignoring it for a bit. Now, I love it and am in for the long haul. Very funny, thought out and willing to change things up.
Yes! I love that show! It's just a totally harmless, charming show. It's great!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Just watched Serpico (1973).

Pacino is mostly known for his hyper-charismatic roles, but this easily ranks as one of his best and most subdued performances next to Carlito's Way. Lumet's direction is sober and to-the-point as usual, and the subject matter is still depressingly relevant.

Not a very exciting or "fun" film, but great regardless.
Joshihatsumitsu

Watched Gareth Evan's latest - The Apostle

I experienced a moment in this movie (a movie I've really been looking forward to seeing) where my initial enthusiasm gave way to a disappointing realisation that - this really isn't working for me.

Part of it may just be my expectations - after seeing Gareth's entry to V/H/S 2 "Safe Haven" I was interested to see a full-on horror movie from him. In the relationship between artist and audience, I'll cop to my side of unfair pressure to deliver.

With movies I've already made up my mind to see, I have a media blackout - ie, no reviews, previews, trailers, etc. After the movie I played catch up, and the reviewer who's opinion I'm most in line with would be this one (spoilers ahead).

All and all, it was uneven, and despite my feelings towards Apostle I really look forward to whatever Gareth Evans does next. He's earned enough goodwill from previous films for me to keep following his career.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I saw Venom last weekend and A Star is Born Saturday. Venom was...dumb, but it had it's moments. A Star is Born was good, but depressing. I hope to never watch either again.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The Return (2003) by Andrey Zvyagintsev.

Low-budget russian drama about two boys who are taken on an impromptu fishing (?) trip to a remote island by their estranged father. The actual plot quickly takes a backseat to make way for the subdued character dynamics, however. Acting is excellent. It's definitely a slow-burner that doesn't feel the need to put everything under a microscope like most Hollywood movies.

Overall, I liked it, even though it's a tiny bit too non-committal / "open to interpretation" for my tastes. Did anyone else see it?