Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Chopper

Re: Videogame News

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: September 27th, 2018, 5:17 pm While it’s not that representative of the whole player base, because the site skews towards the stat and achievement hunting players, TrueAchievements ‘players registered on our site that have started these games’ lists them thusly: (ignore the scale of the numbers, look at the trend)

Walking dead season 1 on XBO: 115,387
Walking dead season 2 on XBO: 64,325
Walking dead season 3 on XBO: 24,757

Wolf Among Us on XBO: 76,360
Takes from the Borderlands on XBO: 79,369
Game of Thrones on XBO: 68,316
Guardians of the Galaxy in XBO: 16,271

For comparison, so you can judge the scale:
Halo 5: 193,749

So they’ve done ok numbers wise, but most of those have had a games with gold or heavy discounting bump at some point. Season 3 of walking dead hasn’t, nor has guardians of the galaxy, and it shows.
Fascinating. Those are incredible (relative) numbers for Guardians. That was a cracking game.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The Soul Calibur 6 network test that’s running this weekend is sooo soooooo fun.

It’s always been my favourite fighting game series, but the last entry was really weak, dropping lots of characters in favour of new ones that never quite felt right.

This one is a pretty hefty throwback. It plays much more like the original Dreamcast game, with a few new flavours like the reversal edge stuff. It has super meter and stuff, but at least at the moment that stuff feels like it takes a back seat to the normal bread and butter play.

I’m already up to speed with my old main Sophitia, and people are already rage quitting. In an online beta where the ranks aren’t going to matter a jot.

Right now the serves appear to have choked, but while I was getting games it was pretty lag free for the most part.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Andi Hamilton wrote a very enthusiastic preview for Trusted Reviews:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/soul-calibur-6

Very much looking forward to this.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the series but I've not played once since 2, to be honest.

I might have a dabble and see if it clicks with me but the way my patience is headed for genres which dont instantly click with me, I might just settle for Smash Bros as a game in which fighting is involved.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The creator of Conkers Bad Fur Day have come up with a brand new game as an indie developer (Gory Detail) called

The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup.

Here's the trailer! It's out soon.

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I still don’t really know what this is... but it certainly looks interesting (a mix of live action sections, some simple combat gameplay...). It’s apparently going to be pretty cheap and the intent is you’ll play through it in one session.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

...Interesting. Does anyone have any experience with their previous game Gunlord?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I don’t, but what set alarm bells ringing about this to me was the fact that they spent several seconds showing basic options as a supposed selling point.

This doesn’t look great to me, but I always keep my eye on these types of games in case they manage to get the formula just right.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Not sure whether I like the graphics or not. Looks very early to mid 90s style, which I usually love, but it looks almost too chunky.

I know what I mean!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Flabyo wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 4:27 pm I still don’t really know what this is... but it certainly looks interesting (a mix of live action sections, some simple combat gameplay...). It’s apparently going to be pretty cheap and the intent is you’ll play through it in one session.

It is $15 and discounted at launch so could be £12-£13 maybe?. I will be picking this up day one as it looks like my cup of tea.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

The cheaper price and shorter length certainly makes that game a lot more appealing. It looks like a very strange mess of a game, but one that for some reason seems really intriguing. I kind of want to see it with my own eyes. And there's also the fact that it's from the people who made the original Prey, and of course the cancelled sequel. Always hoped for them to make some sort of comeback. And while this obviously isn't that, it adds a very entertaining twist to their story.

The length of the game also adds another layer of hilarity to the stories around this game when it was shown at whatever trade show it was last at. Apparently they brought a build of the entire game, and people were playing through huge chunks of it at the preview event, even getting trophies as they went through it. So I guess that means they likely played almost all of it already.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

https://kotaku.com/skybound-will-finish ... 1829579540

So the final season of The Walking Dead will now be finished via Skybound apparently with ex Telltale staff. :)
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

DomsBeard wrote: October 7th, 2018, 6:25 am https://kotaku.com/skybound-will-finish ... 1829579540

So the final season of The Walking Dead will now be finished via Skybound apparently with ex Telltale staff. :)
Fantastic. A happy end to a sad story.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Gamesmaster and Games TM magazine to close down: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -shut-down

That's a shame. Hadn't read GM in years but Games TM I always enjoyed on the rare occasion I picked up a copy. Fortunately it seems that most the staff will be picked up by other publications, but a shame to see two long standing magazines bite the dust.

It'll come to all of them though, unfortunately. The excitement of getting a magazine and looking through the reviews and previews has all but vanished these days. They can't possibly contain up to date and breaking news, and any previews have hit the internet often weeks before print picks them up. The only thing magazines have left really going for them is special features - which is why Retro Gamer is still so appealing to me. But, with each generation passing, it does seem like print media will die a very slow, drawn out death.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: October 19th, 2018, 3:51 pm Gamesmaster and Games TM magazine to close down: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -shut-down

That's a shame. Hadn't read GM in years but Games TM I always enjoyed on the rare occasion I picked up a copy. Fortunately it seems that most the staff will be picked up by other publications, but a shame to see two long standing magazines bite the dust.

It'll come to all of them though, unfortunately. The excitement of getting a magazine and looking through the reviews and previews has all but vanished these days. They can't possibly contain up to date and breaking news, and any previews have hit the internet often weeks before print picks them up. The only thing magazines have left really going for them is special features - which is why Retro Gamer is still so appealing to me. But, with each generation passing, it does seem like print media will die a very slow, drawn out death.
Yeah really sad. I have(had?) subbed to Games TM for over 10 years (across 2 publishers)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

https://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/

Golden Joystick Awards open

I genuinely voted for Detroit as my Playstation GOTY

Weird how Forza 4 is there but Assassins Creed isn't and they came out the same week
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Shakedown Hawaii, the long in development sequel to Retro City Rampage, launches early next year.

RCR was kind of a fun idea, but never really managed to be much fun in practice. This looks gorgeous, so let's just hope they managed the gameplay side of things, too!

Cross buy on PS4 and Vita is always welcome too. I'll grab anything half decent on Vita at this point!

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/10 ... -year/amp/

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The millions of daily Metal Gear Survive players may finally rejoice at the thought of adorning their avatar with the conspicuously underused Pyramid Head helmet, alongside a whole slew of various Castlevania and Silent Hill items.

...Konami, please. Have some self-respect.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yesss!

*reinstalls*
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Come on Konami... add pachinko machines to Survive! Don't hold back!

I was trying to think of other Konami franchises, and really, there's not a lot that they actually own. Years of third-party IP doesn't leave much in the coffers.