Recording podcast remotely

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
duskvstweak

Recording podcast remotely

Post by duskvstweak »

So, I have my own podcast, but I've never been able to get Skype to work right for remote recordings. I use audacity. On my personal PC, it doesn't pick up one if it's picking up the other. Does anyone have any recommendations for either recording or calling?
Alex79

Re: Recording podcast remotely

Post by Alex79 »

I've not used Audacity, but in other sound recording applications I've used in the past, in the settings there is always one which allows you to choose what you're recording, whether it's the line in, or you're asking it to record 'everything I can hear'. Is there not an option like that anywhere to be found?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There are some good free apps such as ‘MP3 Skype Recorder’ and ‘PC Desktop Recorder’.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: October 27th, 2018, 10:07 am I've not used Audacity, but in other sound recording applications I've used in the past, in the settings there is always one which allows you to choose what you're recording, whether it's the line in, or you're asking it to record 'everything I can hear'. Is there not an option like that anywhere to be found?
Yeah, that's not worked for me on my PC for some reason. My wife's been using my system to record hers, but Audacity will only ever pick up the desktop audio OR the mic, neither both. Very frustrating. I have zero issues with OBS recognizing it all.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

On the Mac I have an OS plugin called SoundFlower that allows me to map real devices to virtual ones and combine them, so I’m able to feed my mic into Skype, feed the output of Skype to my headphones, and feed the output of Skype and the input of my mic into audacity.

There will be similar things for Windows and Linux I’m sure, google for ‘virtual audio device’.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

ratsoalbion wrote: October 27th, 2018, 12:26 pm There are some good free apps such as ‘MP3 Skype Recorder’ and ‘PC Desktop Recorder’.
This seemed to be a decent fix, though I have to do a lot sound check to get my mic to on the same level. The caller comes in clear, but my mic seems miles away.