Fallout 76

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
NuKaholic

Fallout 76

Post by NuKaholic »

Firstly I'd like to apologize to the group if this has already been discussed at any length but as usual I'm a week late to this as a new topic.

I know we have little to go on but the brief trailer but what are everyone's thoughts a new Fallout game? Can we expect more of Fallout 4? Can we expect something more like New Vegas? Anything anyone is interested in discussing.

I personally was brought back into gaming from Fallout 3 (among other games like dead space and mass effect)so the Fsllout games are a big part of why I returned to gaming. I personally didn't love Fallout 4. I played through the entire game and dlc once and by no means do I consider it a "bad" game. I just think it was missing that something special that 3 and New Vegas held for me. Maybe it's just nostalgia but that's my take anyway.

I'm very cautiously anticipating Fallout 76 but I'm really interested in hearing what the community thinks!
Alex79

Re: Fallout 76

Post by Alex79 »

Fallout - I love that series, have put 100s of hours in to it, and never once finished any of the games! Not sure how I feel about this one. It's the lonely solitry experience that enjoy about those games, a massively multiplayer game may strip away the thing I love the most, but interested to see how it develops. Could be the State Of Decay or DayZ type game I've been hoping for on PS4.
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Alex79uk wrote: June 4th, 2018, 12:47 pm Fallout - I love that series, have put 100s of hours in to it, and never once finished any of the games! Not sure how I feel about this one. It's the lonely solitry experience that enjoy about those games, a massively multiplayer game may strip away the thing I love the most, but interested to see how it develops. Could be the State Of Decay or DayZ type game I've been hoping for on PS4.
I wholeheartedly agree on enjoying the solitry experience. I also love the role playing aspect of 3 and NV. I feel like that was lost with a voiced protagonist. Also the scenario of "finding your child" made it feel weird to be running around dressed as the silver shroud or building settlements when your child is missing lol
It's much easier for me to accept your father abandoning you or being a courier if I'm going to be running around and exploring.

I really liked in Joseph Andersons YouTube review he pointed out that with the Far Harbor DLC you had the option to temporarily abandon your search for your child to leave on a boat to find someone else's child haha that's a bit jarring.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I suspect this one isn’t going to be a main series entry. It doesn’t sound like they’re going full MMO like they did with Elder Scrolls Online, but I’m not expecting this to be a solo ‘Bethesda rpg’ experience either.

If this is a survival game with base building elements then I’ll probably pass. Those were the elements I find least interesting in fallout 4, I’m all about exploration and ‘seeing what’s out there’.

But it’ll have its fans for sure.
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

Flabyo wrote: June 4th, 2018, 1:26 pm I suspect this one isn’t going to be a main series entry. It doesn’t sound like they’re going full MMO like they did with Elder Scrolls Online, but I’m not expecting this to be a solo ‘Bethesda rpg’ experience either.

If this is a survival game with base building elements then I’ll probably pass. Those were the elements I find least interesting in fallout 4, I’m all about exploration and ‘seeing what’s out there’.

But it’ll have its fans for sure.
Oh I see. I'm not too into base building either. I didn't mind it being in fallout 4 as an experimental feature as long as it's optional. It was mandatory for some of the mainline quests and that rubbed me the wrong way. It was the worst thing ever but I always did the bare minimum so I could get back to the wasteland.

I was hoping it would be the next entry in the main series but I guess being announced this soon after Fallout 4 that's unlikely. If it's a base building, mmo, or survival simulator I'll probably pass as well but you never know.
I really didn't enjoy Elder Scrolls Online. I think I maybe played 5 hours of it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I really enjoyed the base building in FO4, to the extent I almost paid real money for extra items to furnish my house - almost. I just found it to be a bit limiting on what you could do, at least on PS4 without all the mod support seen on PC.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Never played a Fallout game. Not one.

Considering how long I've been playing games and how broad my tastes are it's a strange gap in my history that I can't fully explain. I do know one thing that has slightly held me back is the bleakness of it all. I look at screenshots and watch videos and see nothing but grey and brown desolation. I've played plenty of dark and dingy games before so that's note necessarily a problem, but the idea of spending quite so many hours in one as a Fallout game demands just hasn't really appealed.

From the very little we've seen of Fallout 76 people have noted that the palette does seem to have brightened a little, with hints of a more vivid colour spectrum and lighter tone than the mainline games. Could this be enough to suck me in? Maybe. I'll be keeping an eye on this one!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Fallout has always had a broad streak of black comedy about it, if thats not what floats your boat at all it’s probably not for you.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

You see I love a bit of black comedy and I've heard it's got that to it, so that does appeal...

I promise I'll at least give Fallout 5 a try in 2022 ;)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Be a day one full on season pass digital purchase for me. Played 200-300 hours of 3 but I still have 4 to finish
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

DomsBeard wrote: June 4th, 2018, 7:25 pm Be a day one full on season pass digital purchase for me. Played 200-300 hours of 3 but I still have 4 to finish
Fallout 3 is probably my favorite but I've definitely spent the most time in Fallout New Vegas. I've probably played Fallout 3 in its entirety 4-5 times. Excluding some of the DLC. I loved Point Lookout and the Pitt but never got into Broken Steel or Mothership Zeta. I wasn't crazy about Fallout 4 as I've mentioned but I did really enjoy some moments. I also thought the Far Harbor DLC was great.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I dont have the love some people have for New Vegas. There was an annoying flying mosquito enemy that used to be harder than deathclaws and used to drive me mad
NuKaholic

Post by NuKaholic »

DomsBeard wrote: June 4th, 2018, 8:48 pm I dont have the love some people have for New Vegas. There was an annoying flying mosquito enemy that used to be harder than deathclaws and used to drive me mad
Lol yeah the Cazador. They are pretty brutal. It's really the poison that's dangerous about them. It kills you so fast. I usually snuck past them. They're also very Mobile and hard to hit.
Suits

Post by Suits »

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Ha that is cool.

I am trying to stop myself picking it up
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

:D

I hope you have a big enough space to display it, and it's not going straight into storage :)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ridiculous isn’t it.

It’s massive also, at very least twice the size of the Halo 3 helmet.

I was hoping to keep it near my lunchbox, Pipboy and gambling kit but it’s so big, I’m just not sure.

The map is cool and in the dark it glows to show areas of that map that aren’t normally visible - I may in fact frame it, it’s nice.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

That is ridiculous. I kinda wish they'd do stuff like that for Metroid though. I'd dress as Samus any day!

(Zero Suit on weekends)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Shit, I’d be so into that.

A Metroid lava or something, all squishy like the amiibo - but massive.
Suits

Post by Suits »

dezm0nd wrote: November 13th, 2018, 11:05 am (Zero Suit on weekends)
Speaking of which, not to bring the tone of the forum down but - have you seen that picture of Mary Kish dressed in the Zero Suit ??

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: