4K TV thoughts?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
kintaris

4K TV thoughts?

Post by kintaris »

So here's the thing: I don't even particularly want a 4K TV, but my 32" HDTV is on the way out and if I'm going to upgrade a bit in size and general quality, it seems silly at this point not to pay a small premium to get the 4K / HDR stuff. Unfortunately I'm a total novice and general Googling hasn't enlightened me too much.

What should I keep an eye out for when shopping? Danger signs, things I absolutely need to make sure are included? To be clear, I don't have a Pro or an X and I don't especially plan to, though I expect I will opt for the full next gen and I expect they will come with 4K/HDR as standard.

The two I'm leaning towards currently are A Samsung nu7120 series and An LG 6470 series. 40" would be perfect but I can deal with a 43" just about. I'd love for the sound quality to be serviceable on the TV itself -- I'm not an audiophile and the idea of forking out for a sound bar on top of a TV makes me feel a bit ill.

Any thoughts appreciated, especially if anyone has similar models to the ones above.
Simonsloth

Re: 4K TV thoughts?

Post by Simonsloth »

I can’t help you on the tv front but in my experience the sound quality from most flatscreen TVs is pretty abysmal and a soundbar is pretty essential.
This was a good 5 years ago but we forked our for a top of the range all singing all dancing LG TV. The picture quality still is phenomenal but the speakers were so poor that you would struggle to discern voices particularly if there was other background noise.

I’m happy to be corrected but because the speakers are on the back of a lot of TVs and they’re an afterthought the quality of the audio suffers a lot.

Things may have progressed somewhat but from word of mouth and a little bit of research I don’t think much has changed.
Suits

Post by Suits »

There's so much to talk about around this but I'll give you a few serious things to consider.

First though, lets get sound out of the way. The internal speakers will be poor, serviceable certainly but you'll want to get something purposeful set up to give some proper depth and tone. Sound bars now are pretty cool and cheap - you'll want to think about that, honestly.

Most panels nowadays are all HDR10, which is what you'll want to further proof your purchase if you ever make the upgrade or when you get a next gen console.

Response rate, input lag and angle of view are major things to think about.

Response rate is effectively how quick the pixel can change - if you have a slow response rate you'll get motion blur, not good. This is specially important for gaming.

Viewing angle is how head on you have to sit towards the panel to get a clear picture without funny brightness spots or or areas of fuzz. Pretty serious if you have a front room with sofas set up to the side of the panel. Remember this also has an effect vertically too, something to consider if you're going to mount your TV and you don't have a tilt bracket.

Input lag is exactly what you think it is. Its almost a non factor nowadays but always check.

Now, the Samsung you mention in your OP is cool, I have a similar 40" panel in my office, solely used for the 4kHDR consoles. It has a fairly limited viewing angle but isn't an issue really as it sits head on to me. It's fast, and is focused for gaming so is ideal. This is similar. Hard to not recommend, there's better panel out there but at this price its a good option.

The LG is good and actually has a quicker response time that the Samsung but in the benchmark tests, it actually comes in behind the Samsung in Video Game and HDR Gaming tests.

This is a good site to compare with, its American so the model numbers can take some tweaking to find your panel but it'll give you a good idea.

Also, if your exact TV model number isn't on there, just go the closet one - often the difference is just ports or silly features the panels are often the same.

Samsung -https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/nu7100

LG - https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uk6300
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I have an issue with my xbox one x in 4k. Theres some strange line scrolling, almost vhs like when i boot it up. Most noticable on tbe dash.

Sorry to be off topic but i need to jot this down before i forget!
Suits

Post by Suits »

What, like a pulse ??
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

dezm0nd wrote: January 14th, 2019, 9:28 pm I have an issue with my xbox one x in 4k. Theres some strange line scrolling, almost vhs like when i boot it up. Most noticable on tbe dash.

Sorry to be off topic but i need to jot this down before i forget!
That's a 4K TV thought, so it fits in here! :P

Thanks Suits, that's amazing info. I will have a look around for a decent sound bar. Just a little frustrating as I recently bought a decent bluetooth speaker, and it seems few TVs in my price and size range support it :(
Suits

Post by Suits »

kintaris wrote: January 15th, 2019, 12:39 pm I will have a look around for a decent sound bar. Just a little frustrating as I recently bought a decent bluetooth speaker, and it seems few TVs in my price and size range support it :(
Does it have an input port, or is it solely BT ??
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

If you're in Canada or the US, I STRONGLY recommend a TCL-brand TV. They are incredible bang for your buck - I got mine just after Black Friday for $569... 55 inch, Roku built-in, 4k, HDR, basically has everything a TV twice the price would have.

SOMETHING ESSENTIAL that may be easily missed is refresh rate. 120 Hz and up is just going to look better than 60Hz. Consider them loosely analogous to 60fps and 30fps, respectively.

Also, I strongly recommend the "My Life In Gaming" episode on upgrading to 4k HDR - they go full hog on what settings you need, compatibility with upscalers and all that, and what kit you need to get the best out of your consoles (for instance, you NEED a certain kind of HDMI cable for true 4k/HDR - you can't use the dollar store cables anymore, sadly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dym6XD3-8qw

Also have a go at "Best Budget 4k Displays" or similar search queries and look for commonalities. Any sites that serve the North American audience are def gonna mention TCL over and over again. For good reason. But Eurozone folks are gonna have to find an alternative.

https://www.techradar.com/news/televisi ... ay-1326405
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'll try and get it videod later
kintaris

Post by kintaris »

Suits wrote: January 15th, 2019, 1:00 pm
kintaris wrote: January 15th, 2019, 12:39 pm I will have a look around for a decent sound bar. Just a little frustrating as I recently bought a decent bluetooth speaker, and it seems few TVs in my price and size range support it :(
Does it have an input port, or is it solely BT ??
It has a 3.5mm input but those TV models don't have a 3.5mm output.

The wireless future can't come soon enough for me...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Related, but can anyone recommend a smart TV for under 300? 4k is absolutely not necessary, just need something with netflix etc built in. The kids have finally totally broken our telly :(
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: January 20th, 2019, 8:53 pm Related, but can anyone recommend a smart TV for under 300? 4k is absolutely not necessary, just need something with netflix etc built in. The kids have finally totally broken our telly :(
What size?

My standard answer would be at that price I think LG would be the best bet. To be honest at any price LG is a safe option.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's the LG they've knackered. Always been good till that though. Looking for a 43".

Seen a few Hisense that have good reviews and are actually 4k for £330. Anyone used one?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Hmm, OK it's between these two. Does anyone who knows anything mind taking a look and letting me know which would be preferable for gaming? Thank you :)

LG - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8193366

Hisense - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8193706

I am wavering towards the Hisense just because the issues we've had with our current TV, no doubt made worse by the kids, seem very common online. Screen going but still audio, back light diffusers coming off inside the screen etc. When I say the LG has been good till now, I forgot we've actually had a few problems with it.

Funnily enough, the 32" 720p Panasonic we use in the bedroom bought over 12 years ago is still going strong. Built like a tank, that thing!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I got the Hisense. Gonna pick it up after work. Woo new TV! (And even better the in-laws felt sorry for us and bought it for us) :D
lucky123

Post by lucky123 »

4k Gaming Monitor would be a great option if you are looking for console gaming overall 4k tv is also the best option.