The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Craig

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Craig »

Amiibo are in a bit of a difficult place. Lock too much or too valued content behind them and people who haven’t bought them get annoyed (Megaman collection challenges, classic Zelda outfits in BoTW), but not doing *enough* with them and people who have bought them feel they haven’t got their money’s worth.

I don’t think Nintendo have found the right sweet spot with them quite yet, and I think a wider game support per Amiibo would be much better, though given the vastness of Amiibo available I can see why they don’t. The WarioWare Gold implantation is the best use of Amiibo.

But who knows. Maybe if I was 7 I’d really dig touching my Amiibo and getting temporary invinciblity or something?
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I do own a few Amiibo's, more because I collect all sorts of figurines anyway, so that's the appeal to me.

On occasion that they can be scanned into a game, like with BoTW, there effects are pretty minimal, superficial. It's a nice bonus, but ultimately inessential, which is fine because it would be worse if substantial content was locked out because you didn't own a particular Amiibo.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Metroid Prime 4 development is being restarted from scratch with Retro

Suits

Post by Suits »

Gutting, but you have agree it was probably the best thing to do if it wasn’t hitting the mark.

Maybe there’ll be a re-master of something to help bridge the likely 3/4 year gap.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Excellent news. I'd rather wait a few years for an all-time great than being sold a rushed substandard product, personally. This decision tells me that Nintendo's standards of quality control are as high as they should be for such a major franchise.

Retro know what they're doing - they've created three timeless masterpieces back-to-back with the original trilogy after all. Let them work their magic in peace. Development will take as much time as it needs to. You can't just push out anything of that pedigree within 6 months.

I'm confident this was the right decision to make.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I 100% agree with Camille.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I didn't play MP3, but I felt there was a marked drop in quality from MP1 to MP2. Does anyone know what devs were working on MP4 before this announcement? Because the result must have been pretty gosh hecking bad if they nuked it from orbit, knowing full well they'll now be bombarded by online death threats from screeching idiots for daring to delay it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 25th, 2019, 3:05 pm I didn't play MP3, but I felt there was a marked drop in quality from MP1 to MP2. Does anyone know what devs were working on MP4 before this announcement?
MP3 is my least favorite of the trilogy, but it's still an excellent game in its own right with an all-time great score and plenty of fantastic locations, bosses and setpieces. I haven't heard too many fans of the first two deride the third one as outright bad, but YMMV.

The only thing that was known about MP4's new dev team is that it was an entirely new studio, I think.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I preferred 3 to 2, I found it less pernickerty and janky.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: January 25th, 2019, 3:05 pm I didn't play MP3, but I felt there was a marked drop in quality from MP1 to MP2. Does anyone know what devs were working on MP4 before this announcement? Because the result must have been pretty gosh hecking bad if they nuked it from orbit, knowing full well they'll now be bombarded by online death threats from screeching idiots for daring to delay it.
Wasn’t it rumoured to be Bandai namco?

I love prime 2, it’s actually my favourite of the series,
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Emily Rodgers has been tweeting some credible info about it tonight. Sounds like Nintendo tried a new Ubisoft way of working on it carving development up across several studios and whilst a couple were going ok, others weren't and it got called off and solely passed to a singular studio after Retro threw some ideas in the ring.

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-ti ... -involved/

Hasn't been any official word on what that team have been up to since DKC:TFreeze. Maybe they've made Yoshi or that rumoured Starfox Racing game? Or just been porting Wii U games...

It'll be interesting to see if they're still any cop. The original directors of the game left to make that Re:Core game I recall and a lot of the most talented designers were all poached to make Halo: Reach and possibly 4.

I did wonder if a little bit of the reason for today's announcement was to advertise that they're making a full on AAA game in America and to hopefully attract good talent to a classic franchise. And also to clear the decks ahead of a Direct next week...?

Obviously gutted about this though as I'd optimistically hoped this was in early development for Wii U and therefore 2 years in already. Now it could be an end of gen release or *shudder* a Switch 2 launch title.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Bit more info here backing up parts of our discussions above:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... om-scratch

And sounds like Trilogy has been finished for a while:

https://thetiredobsidian.wordpress.com/ ... eymhMTjHTc
Suits

Post by Suits »

Huh, interesting stuff Sean - thanks for sharing.

Trilogy done and ready to go, according to GI 🤔.

Waking up this morning and reading Twitter has been enjoyable with all the tid bits.

It’s facinating to see the general compassion for the situation, as opposed to the sh*t storm other developers/publishers would have gotten.

I’m sure more background info will come to light as time passes.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Suits wrote: January 26th, 2019, 7:34 am Huh, interesting stuff Sean - thanks for sharing.

Trilogy done and ready to go, according to GI 🤔.

Waking up this morning and reading Twitter has been enjoyable with all the tid bits.

It’s facinating to see the general compassion for the situation, as opposed to the sh*t storm other developers/publishers would have gotten.

I’m sure more background info will come to light as time passes.
Seriously, we live in a world where people were getting death threats of FF15 getting delayed a few days and for lingerie DLC for a 13 year old character being removed from Xenoblade X...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Suits wrote: December 18th, 2018, 1:17 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote: December 18th, 2018, 12:59 pm What I'd like to know is why the Wii HDMI adapter costs around £6, meanwhile the nearest figure I can find about this new GameCube one hovers around $150...
So, the GCHD uses the digital out port that the first generation of GameCube had and was never used. Remember - Digital.

The digital signal is then put out to HDMI and will display nice and crisply on a modern panel.

The Wii2HD device will simply take the analogue signal the Wii puts out and squeeze it through a process to turn it into a digital signal.
I ended up getting that cheap Wii HDMI converter. Avoid!

It did make the visuals sharper, but I ended up with these horrible diagonal scan line type things scrolling on the screen, very faint but very off putting. Annoyingly, if I set the Wii to 576i, they vanish, but the graphics are awfully jaggedy.

I tried to send it back to Amazon, only to be greeted with 'this item is not eligible for return'. WTF? We'll see about that!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: January 26th, 2019, 8:44 am I ended up getting that cheap Wii HDMI converter. Avoid!

It did make the visuals sharper, but I ended up with these horrible diagonal scan line type things scrolling on the screen, very faint but very off putting. Annoyingly, if I set the Wii to 576i, they vanish, but the graphics are awfully jaggedy.
Yes, that pretty much sums up a lot of the reviews I’ve heard of that piece of kit. Sadly.

Sometimes you just have to try things for yourself though.

Those rolling scan lines sound like poor shielding interference.

Hence the positive buzz around the GDHC and it’s rather high price.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Assuming Nintendo are sitting on MPT (and I think they are considering they frequently sit on finished games) I wonder what they’ve done with prime 3 specially and the amount of motion controls in that one.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

chase210 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 9:07 am Assuming Nintendo are sitting on MPT (and I think they are considering they frequently sit on finished games) I wonder what they’ve done with prime 3 specially and the amount of motion controls in that one.
Yeah I was wondering that too. A lot of the interactions could be replaced with button presses a la Galaxy on the Nveida Shield tablet or possibly by playing with detached Joycon.

It's the general motion controls aiming across the entire game I'm most Intrigued by as it's one of my favourite control schemes ever.

Gyro aiming like Splatoon 2 and DOOM will probably be the answer, but I'm not sure it'd be quite so nice.
Suits

Post by Suits »

chase210 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 9:07 am Assuming Nintendo are sitting on MPT (and I think they are considering they frequently sit on finished games) I wonder what they’ve done with prime 3 specially and the amount of motion controls in that one.
This is something a few of us have discussed quite a few times now man, with differing outcomes.

The resounding outcome is that for it to feel right, it will take a lot of work and something that the actual Switch hardware may struggle to replicate.

An extra special dollop of Nintendo magic is needed here.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Suits wrote: January 26th, 2019, 9:14 am
This is something a few of us have discussed quite a few times now man, with differing outcomes.
Hahahaha, just when I thought we were done, chase innocently strolls onto the scene and rekindles the topic! :P

For the record, I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong! And I'd obviously be super curious as to how the technical details would play out.