Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
KissMammal

Re: Videogame News

Post by KissMammal »

Very much looking forward to Trials Rising. Been waiting for a Trials game on Switch since the console was released. Seems like such a perfect fit.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Well Tropico 6 is something I will pick up at some point, but as I'm still working through the achievements in 3 it will be a while before I need to get that ;) And I've barely scratched the surface of the first Dirt Rally. So yeah, guess I'm just getting old and out of touch!

Oh Division 2 might be something. My wife and I really enjoyed playing through the first, if you ignore political aspects of the game and just enjoy the solid gunplay. Or I just pretend it's not set in the US but post Brexit Britian ;)
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

This isn't news but I didn't know where else to put it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... e-ever-had

It's just a nice story that makes you feel warm and fuzzy about gaming. The culture can be so depressingly negative sometimes that it's nice to be reminded how lovely and innocent it can be.

C&R can often serve much the same purpose so I thought people on here might like it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: January 18th, 2019, 9:15 am This isn't news but I didn't know where else to put it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... e-ever-had

It's just a nice story that makes you feel warm and fuzzy about gaming. The culture can be so depressingly negative sometimes that it's nice to be reminded how lovely and innocent it can be.

C&R can often serve much the same purpose so I thought people on here might like it.
Great story. Maybe Jay can become Gamemaster and emulate the late great Sir Patrick Moore and answer and game related questions for people stuck in the Patreon cast? :)
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: January 18th, 2019, 9:15 am The culture can be so depressingly negative sometimes that it's nice to be reminded how lovely and innocent it can be.
Yes, notable that no actual 'gamers' were involved in the story :lol:

A nice one though.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Eurogamer put a really interesting piece exploring the recent collapse of Starbreeze. Very interesting, if sad. I had a few of these points before, about how they were effectively taken over by Overkill and that there was trouble brewing between the two brothers who ran the company, but this goes far more in-depth. It's sad that we lost what was at one point such a great studio. At least now we have Machine Games carrying on that torch in a way.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... starbreeze
James

Post by James »

countstex wrote: December 20th, 2018, 11:27 am Oh Division 2 might be something. My wife and I really enjoyed playing through the first, if you ignore political aspects of the game and just enjoy the solid gunplay. Or I just pretend it's not set in the US but post Brexit Britian ;)
"Ignore the political aspects" might as well be Ubisoft's catchphrase. They seem open to politically-charged settings and themes, but (for me) pull their punches and/or fluff the execution. Recently, for me, Wildlands did this, but I've heard similar rumblings about Far Cry 5.

On a wider note, I keep feeling a pull towards the likes of Destiny 2, Anthem and The Division 2. I would be playing mostly solo, which is less than ideal. I also played the campaigns of Destiny and Destiny 2, but ran out of steam thereafter, and couldn't get into Warframe, though (unfairly) I only played for a couple of hours. I guess it's the fun I had with Borderlands/2 that draws me to loot shooters, despite being left scratching my head at the games-as-service variants that I've tried. :|
countstex

Post by countstex »

James wrote: January 28th, 2019, 5:38 pm
countstex wrote: December 20th, 2018, 11:27 am Oh Division 2 might be something. My wife and I really enjoyed playing through the first, if you ignore political aspects of the game and just enjoy the solid gunplay. Or I just pretend it's not set in the US but post Brexit Britian ;)
"Ignore the political aspects" might as well be Ubisoft's catchphrase. They seem open to politically-charged settings and themes, but (for me) pull their punches and/or fluff the execution. Recently, for me, Wildlands did this, but I've heard similar rumblings about Far Cry 5.

On a wider note, I keep feeling a pull towards the likes of Destiny 2, Anthem and The Division 2. I would be playing mostly solo, which is less than ideal. I also played the campaigns of Destiny and Destiny 2, but ran out of steam thereafter, and couldn't get into Warframe, though (unfairly) I only played for a couple of hours. I guess it's the fun I had with Borderlands/2 that draws me to loot shooters, despite being left scratching my head at the games-as-service variants that I've tried. :|
Yeah Borderlands are staples of ours, but as you state they are designed at small co-op/solo games and other than the super late game raid bosses work perfectly well as single player games. All the newer games rely way too much on have a full squad. Even Gears 4 messed up horde mode by making it way too much for just two players. It's a shame there aren't more games that can pull off the loot systems for single/small player count games. Diablo III does a good job of it, should that have somehow passed you by.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

In news that is a month old: the announcement of Esp.Ra.De as the next M2 Shot Triggers game was disclosed last year, however...

1. There is also the possibility of Shot Trigger titles on the Switch, which is a great fit for those sort of titles
2. The possibility of The Great Ragtime Show (aka Boogie Wings) is in negotiations, which also didn't get ported to anything previously. Great game.
3. News, not only of a news Aleste game, but of a M2 Aleste game... so very much hope that's true...

Lot's of whispers and rumours, so time will tell what actually develops.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 8:17 am In news that is a month old: the announcement of Esp.Ra.De as the next M2 Shot Triggers game was disclosed last year, however...

1. There is also the possibility of Shot Trigger titles on the Switch, which is a great fit for those sort of titles
2. The possibility of The Great Ragtime Show (aka Boogie Wings) is in negotiations, which also didn't get ported to anything previously. Great game.
3. News, not only of a news Aleste game, but of a M2 Aleste game... so very much hope that's true...

Lot's of whispers and rumours, so time will tell what actually develops.
I've been a gamer for nearly 30 years, and you've successfully said a of bunch names and stuff that I've never heard of in my life there mate! I've heard of a Switch, and M2, but the rest of it..... :shock: :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You sure you’ve never heard of Super Aleste on the SNES?

I wthink we mentioned Esp.Ra.De in our Cave show (though you could certainly be forgiven for missing that)!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Yeah see I never got round to the Cave episode! Shmups aren’t really my thing, mainly because I’m a bit rubbish at most of them with the odd rare exception.

Combine that with the fact that I was a Sega kid who never owned a SNES (as were most of my mates), and can see why my knowledge of niche SNES shmups is shamefully limited!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

The Aleste game on MD was widely known as ‘MUSHA’ - any help?
Sinclair Gregstrum

ratsoalbion wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 1:41 pm The Aleste game on MD was widely known as ‘MUSHA’ - any help?
So the box art to MUSHA rings the quietest of bells, most likely from seeing it back in the day in one of the local independent game stores that used to get in import Mega Drive stuff.

Looking at screenshots though i wouldn’t be able to pick it out in a line-up other than through a process of elimination if it was with a bunch of better know series like Darius, Parodius, R-Type etc.

I’m a lost cause Leon...
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

ratsoalbion wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 1:41 pm The Aleste game on MD was widely known as ‘MUSHA’ - any help?
Honestly, I'm a really big SHMUP fan, and even I have very limited knowledge of the Aleste series. It's possible that they have more exposure in Europe - I'm only aware of (rare, ludicrously expensive) titles on the Genesis and SCD. And I don't even think they're all that great, if I'm being honest. I'd rather have Raiden or Thunder Force or Soldier Blade or any number of Toaplan shooters for my money.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Of course Super Aleste was known (in typical fashion) as (lol) SPACE MEGAFORCE in the US.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Aaaaaaand it runs for $400 CDN. Big oof.
Sinclair Gregstrum

ratsoalbion wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 6:25 pm Of course Super Aleste was known (in typical fashion) as (lol) SPACE MEGAFORCE in the US.
Now that's name I can get behind! I'd be all over SPAAAAAACE MEGAFOOOOORCE!!!! :D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

You and Donald Trump.
😆
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Yeah, rarities and oddities going for obscene prices very much limits the audience, and unfortunately is the norm. I guess that's why I'm quite excited about what M2 are doing, shining a bit of light on some forgotten and genuinely great games... assuming you get on with that genre!

If you were to go by the wikipedia entry, the reason The Great Ragtime Show never got ported was because it's unpopularity in arcade centers, which is... vague. I'm not going to say that it's the greatest of great shmups, but it is pretty quirky, in that if your plane gets shot down you still continue on foot, leaving you very vulnerable with your pea-shooter gun, and by commandeering other vehicles, horses, or whatever you can regain firepower and continue on.

Wait... Trump... shmups... SPAAAAAACE MEGAFOOOOORCE?