Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sinclair Gregstrum

Re: Videogame News

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

So this is potentially huge news - Xbox Live being integrated into Switch!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... tch-mobile

Not only a big thing in and of itself, but this is a big insight into the kinds of collaborative conversations going on between Microsoft and Nintendo behind closed doors.

I might be making a leap here, but with all the recent talk of game streaming services, and Microsoft already with it's head in the 'play anywhere' space, and Project X Cloud in the works, could we be heading towards a future where the Switch can stream Xbox software over the cloud?

Microsoft doesn't have a handheld gaming platform to make proper on-the-go gaming a reality in it's cloud ecosystem, and Nintendo clearly has an appetite for it with the Resident Evil 7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey experiments in Japan. It all kind of makes sense and I don't see a downside to either party - Microsoft gets access to sell software direct to the Switch userbase, plus it's a potential gateway to people buying Xbox consoles if they get hooked and want the full-fat 4K experience vs the handheld/much lower res docked one on Switch.

From Nintendo's perspective it would be a big boost to have Xbox exclusives and all the AAA third party titles streamable on their system. Very few are on there natively now as it is, and as we head into the next gen there's no way things are being squeezed onto the platform without huge compromises if they can be achieved at all.

Maybe I'm getting over excited but how awesome would this be?!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

That is indeed big news, would not have expected that! :o
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

All Microsoft needs now is games! ;)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Not much to get out of this Inside Xbox last night but...!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be on Gamepass tomorrow
Sea of Thieves will have a free to play week, if invited from an existing player
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

dezm0nd wrote: February 6th, 2019, 6:52 am Not much to get out of this Inside Xbox last night but...!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be on Gamepass tomorrow
Sea of Thieves will have a free to play week, if invited from an existing player

Return To Arkham too. Was going to pick up Shadow Of The Tomb Raider in the next couple of weeks!.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

GTA online cheater ordered to pay $150'000 in damages to Take Two.

https://www.usgamer.net/amp/grand-theft ... in-damages

What do we think about this? I'm in two minds. There needs to be some sort of action taken against cheaters, but should that be a ban, or actual real legal action? On one hand, it's just a game. Cheats have been in games since day one, but when that cheating impacts others enjoyment...?

I don't know! What do you think?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Don't think I've seen anyone talking about this, but Minecraft Story Mode is now availible on Netflix. Not sure if it's the same as the actual game version, but it's a choose your own story affair along the lines of Bandersnatch. Netflix flags it as a game with a little controller icon in the corner of the thumbnail. This excites me, because it suggests there are more to come. Unlikely I know, but imagine Telltale's back catalogue on Netflix! That would be incredible! Really excited to see where this leads, and whilst this Minecraft one doesn't interest me particularly, I'm definitely going to give it a go!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

One of the reasons Telltale suddenly ran out of money was Netflix cancelling the contract they had.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh really? I wonder why they did that. Could have been huge, and brought so many people in to gaming.
Joshihatsumitsu

The already small to non-existent gaming industry in Australia is now roughly around 10% small, thanks to another round of EA layoffs.

I understand: sometimes it's hard for CEO's on $20 million+ a year to scrape by.
Joshihatsumitsu

More month old news: exA-Arcadia hardware!

Though I’m greatly doubtful of an arcade/game-centre revival outside of Japan, there’s a humble PC-hardware-based logic to the approach.

As much as I like Aka to Blue on my iPhone, proper joystick support is welcome.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Release date for The Last Of Us Part 2 possibly leaked; October 2019.

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-last-of- ... this-time/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh for fuck sake, who cares!?

Judgement game sale stopped due to an actor being arrested for alleged drug use.

I was looking forward to this, hope it doesn't delay a Western release!

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47553857
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

As far as I know, japanese society is super conservative when it comes to drug use. So this doesn't really surprise me.

It does read like a blatant overreaction from my perspective, but eh.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Surely it gives their game based on the seedy underworld of Japan some sort of authenticity...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

The same thing happened with Yakuza 4. The guy who played the dirty cop character got accused of doing drugs of some sort. Apparently it turned out he was found innocent (which is pretty wild given the extremely high conviction rate in Japan) but his career was still ruined because of it. That's why the character never came back in any game since, and the remaster uses a different face for him.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Yeah drugs are a pretty huge deal in Japan and this guy has screwed up pretty big time - currently Judge Eyes has been removed from PSN, shipments have been cancelled (causing used prices to skyrocket online) and Sega has been deleting tweets mentioning the game. He’s also the voice of Olaf in Frozen which is a somewhat bigger deal in terms of image (and you don’t mess with the Big Mouse) and they’ve already announced they’re changing the voice actor.

They’re really strict with drug use and you can essentially become persona non grata if you’ve been caught. Robert Downey Jr. wasn’t allowed to enter the country in the 2000s after his adventures in the 90s. Not sure that is still ongoing or it’s been long enough and his films have been successful enough for people to forget about his past.

I expect this will delay the western release as it has both voice tracks on it.
Joshihatsumitsu

I mean, if you want a career where you can do all the cocaine you want with little-to-no legal consequences, catch a flight down to Australia and either play Rugby League or join the banking sector!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Trailer for Battlefield V Firestorm is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JB-O8 ... verified=1

Looks great I am excited for this!!

25th of March
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Quantic Dream just announced that Detroit: Become Human, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls are all going to be ported to PC this year.

3 of the best 'PlayStation exclusives' lost. :(

The good news is that many more gamers will get to experience 3 of the best games of the last 10 years and all the David Cage haters will have to deal with it. Not good news for PlayStation though.