Apex Legends

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
James

Re: Apex Legends

Post by James »

I haven't seen much use of Pathfinder, to be honest. Would be interested to see its abilities used effectively, because they seem limited to me, on paper at least.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Wraith’s portal feels a little odd to me, it’s the inverse of how Symmetra’s works in Overwatch now and I can’t see much tactical use for it. Yet. I’m sure as meta evolves someone is going to figure out how it completely breaks things.

(Wraith drops a portal entrance at her position, then has to run to where she wants the exit to be, Symmetra projects the exit portal to somewhere she can see, but doesn’t have to actually go there to place it)

Pathfinder is basically Widowmaker from Overwatch (especially if you find a decent sniper rifle). He can reposition so much more easily than others, and his ultimate lets the entire team attack or retreat along a route the opponent can’t predict. I’ve used it do drop the entire team down onto a building via the roof from the cliff above, and also to get up onto the floating supply barge via an angle the defenders aren’t covering.

Lifeline feels the ‘weakest’, in that her healing drone could do with being able to move and her ultimate doesn’t give you enough to offset the whole ‘hey, were over here!’ aspect of it.

Gibraltar’s shield takes some getting used to if you’re an Overwatch player cause it looks and feels the same as Winston’s one, but in this game it blocks all shots not just the enemies. So you can’t shoot out of it.
James

Post by James »

I can definitely see some tweaks to these. For example, I get that being able to place an exit portal anywhere you can see might be really OP, but if it were a grenade toss, like Gibraltar and Bangalore's air strikes, it'd at least allow for recon and taking risks a bit more.

Likewise, Bangalore's smoke provides defensive cover, but not being able to see enemies through it kinda limits it's offensive usefulness to blinding enemies as they come through choke points. I only ever use it as a 'get off me' tool, and only really benefit if I retreat immediately.

As you say, Flabyo, I'm sure there are uses for the abilities that I'm just not seeing. But I also expect some tweaks to this.

Also, Caustic seems really useful. I'm trying to hold off on purchasing new characters until I have got my fill of the six default ones, but multiple poison traps that can also be remote detonated (via shooting), partially obscure vision, and deal DoT seem vastly more useful than Bangalore's single smoke grenade.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The level four scopes highlight enemies in red, and can see them through smoke, but you’re not going to have one of those that often.

Bloodhound seems extremely good as well, as long as you keep remember to use his ping radar thing, the little marks it leaves on the environment telling you how long ago people left spent shell casings, openend boxes, used zip lines etc... are super useful as long as you’re remembering to use it.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

One thing I've noticed from this is that Titanfall 2 has a much more active player base since Apex dropped ...

I've tried this a few times, always playing with randoms and whilst I wouldn't necessarily agree with the hype, it plays pretty well and the ping is pretty versatile - I'dd missed double tapping on an area gave the 'warning' note so that's helpful.

One use I've seen for Wraiths portal is a method for slower teammates to get ahead of the closing circle wall. It exists until reused so presuming she is furthest way and moving, it can help to give squad mates a boost to get back into the safe zone. Wraith has to be paying attention for this to work and certainly in the first few days, I saw a number of squads not paying attention to the timer and getting caught out.

This is only the second BR style game I've tried - I did give Fortnite a bit of a go at some point last year but as mentioned above the building mechanics didn't seem to properly jive with the shooting - for me at least.

Certainly interested to see what Respawn do with this
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

My 11-year old reliably informs me that Fortnite is going to be abandoned en-masse for this. Mainly, it seems, because big streamers like Ninja that the kids are into have done the same. We’re in Austria snowboarding this week and him not being able to play it seems to be affecting his cool rating massively!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

If they’re on console with parental controls they won’t be...
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

stvnorman wrote: February 13th, 2019, 8:27 pm We’re in Austria snowboarding this week and him not being able to play it seems to be affecting his cool rating massively!
It comes to something when snowboarding is the uncool alternative to Fortnite.

:lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Played a couple of rounds of this (first time) last night before going to bed. Both times I was dead within 30 seconds and never even found a weapon. I genuinely feel like I'm too old for this game, up against sharp youngsters I am no match.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ok, I'm off work today and just played a few rounds. This game is brilliant! Got a few kills now and loving it! Too many controls though, I can't even work out how to equip a grenade...
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Alex79uk wrote: February 14th, 2019, 9:12 am This game is brilliant! Got a few kills now and loving it!
Up against the preschoolers this morning :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

:lol:

Doooooooh!!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

On the consoles, dpad up to quick use a healing item, hold up for the healing item wheel.

Grenades work the same way, only it’s right on the dpad to equip the quick slot one, hold to bring up the selection wheel.

(Oh, and there’s also a selection wheel for a bunch of more complex squad pings, if the context sensitive stuff isn’t what you need, hold down RB)

What took me a while to find was how to drop things, that’s on the inventory menu (which I didn’t know it even had...) which is on “start”, whatever that’s called on the consoles now, the one that isn’t the one that brings up the map :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cool thanks. The main issue I'm having, which is the same issue I've had with all online shooters since day one (with the exception of Modern Warfare 1 and 2, which I was bizarrely quite good at) is the actual shooting. I can just never hit anything! I'm useless! I just don't think my reactions are quick enough. I see an enemy, panic, and by the time I'm aiming I'm dead!!

:(
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Flabyo wrote: February 13th, 2019, 8:58 pm If they’re on console with parental controls they won’t be...
Maybe a debate for another place, but parental controls seem to mean very little across my son’s various friend networks, whether due to parents or kid’s ingenuity.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Does this game have a higher age rating than Fortnite then? Seems odd, I wouldn't have a problem with my 12 year old playing it. In fact I was encouraging him to download it to his Xbox.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Fortnite is a PEGI 12+, Apex Legends is 16+.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I don't think I like Battle Royale games. I've tried Fortnite and now Apex Legends and have come away from both feeling like I'm wasting my time. The time to actually play seems too long with 5-10 minutes of loading up a game, finding loot, finding an enemy and then death isn't enjoyable for me.

It is worsened with the fact that I've been playing Apex Legends with randoms which is such an inconsistent experience and perhaps the biggest flaw in the game. So many people aren't interested in team play but it is so integral to the game and a any chance of doing well. I think I'd prefer a mode where players can choose to play solo than play in a team.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I’ve found when playing BR games that have solo modes that those are no fun at all, because you lose all of the revive and respawn elements, makes it into just a glorified death match.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... e-hitboxes

I kinda assumed the difference sizes of hero had different hitboxes already, but it seems they’re a bit buggy on top of that...

I can see a balance change here being similar to fighting games, give the chonkier heroes more health.