Warface

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Warface

Post by Alex79 »

Warface is a multiplayer free to play, military style FPS which has been on PC, PS4 and Xbox for years. Yesterday it launched on Switch.

I played a couple of hours of the Switch version last night and a decent amount this morning, and... it's fantastic!

It's everything you'd want from a game like this. Standard modes likes free for all, team deathmatch, domination, capture the flag stuff. Loads of weapons and attachments and different body armour. A nice selection of well designed maps. It really is a good quality product.

There are tons of unlocks, both cosmetic and useful, and there are, of course, microtransactions in there, but I've not found them to be in the least bit intrusive. Most guns and equipment are available to purchase both via credits bought with real life money or in game currency which you earn at a decent rate. For example, there is a decent gun available for 10000-20000 credits. You earn between 100 and 1000+ per match in general, depending on performance, so that gun could be bought within just a couple of hours play.

Now, graphically, the game has taken a hit. It looks OK in handheld, but on the TV it looks like a bit of a dogs dinner. However, I played for a good while last night in docked mode, and once you get past the initial 'oh my gosh' moment, it didn't detract from my enjoyment whatsoever.

In addition to both casual and ranked versions of the standard multiplayer modes, there are also a number of cooperative scenarios you can play through, as well as 'spec ops'. The spec ops are greyed out for me at the moment so whether you need to be a certain rank to access them I'm not sure.

All in all, this is a game very worthy of your time if you've enjoyed CoD or Battlefield multiplayer in the past. It's hugely enjoyable, and I will certainly be dipping in and out of it for a good while to come. Check it out for yourselves.
stvnorman

Re: Warface

Post by stvnorman »

I didn’t get past the tutorial unfortunately. I was playing on TV, and couldn’t put how it looks on there better, but the main problem was my red-black colourblindness and not being able to find the targets it was telling me to shoot!

In the unlikely event I ever get the urge for a multiplayer FPS, I’ll fire up the CoD game that was free on PS+. Despite all that, I’m glad it’s on there - Switch isn’t exactly swimming in stuff like that.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Tried it, seems fun and pretty solid! Bloody hell though graphically it’s woeful - Call of Duty Black Ops 2 on Wii U literally looks better - and that still has a functioning multiplayer. No excuse for it looking this budget. It’s free though, I guess.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it's definitely rough. Were you playing handheld or docked? I think it looks good enough in handheld, but is obviously a little more difficult to control, but I found the motion controlled fine aim makes up for that. I'm really enjoying it though. Fingers crossed the graphics improve over time. I watched a video explaining the basics on YT yesterday and seeing the difference between the Switch and PC versions was a real eye opener!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

On TV, I’ll try it handheld though - the Hori split pad makes games like this a lot better in handheld with its full size analogue etc so fingers crossed. The more important thing is it feels decent to play anyway.