Amored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Cornelius_Smiff

Amored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Post by Cornelius_Smiff »

Felt it deserve it's own thread.

By God, FromSoft have only gone and bloody well done it again! I am struggling to think of another developer who have had such a hot streak of quality releases.

Granted I am only in the early stages of AC6 , but it's looking pretty damn bloody marvellous so far. When you get past the initial weirdness of the controls feeling like trying to fly a cow around using only Asda smart price fireworks it becomes incredibly intuitive.

I don't want to give too much away, but it's already a hoot and a half to play. If anyone has already had a crack at AC6, I would love to hear your early thoughts.

I have so much more to say, but want to get a conversation going first.
markfm007

Re: Amored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

Post by markfm007 »

Bought this on a whim. I've only played the first two missions so far and have stopped before getting into the customization. So far it's been a mix of fun and infuriating. Standard for From Software I suppose. It's tricky trying to both control the speedy mech while also trying to read all of the projectiles and enemies flying at you. Definitely not my strong suit, but still fun.

The first boss is cheap even by From standards, considering how little time you've had to acclimatise and the game hasn't even taught you about the stagger system. I quickly googled it, and once I had a sense of what to do, it was a fun fight. I can see the appeal once I get a better feel for the controls and rhythm of the game. I think I'll put it down for now though, now I've got a sense of what it's about.
aidopotato

Post by aidopotato »

Yo- cheers for starting a thread on this. Having a great time with ACVI notwithstanding the obligatory frustrations- I'm about halfway through Stage 5 now, so nearing the end.

The stripped back presentation, the depth to the combat and the sheer versatility of the customization have got their hooks well into me. It's catnip for community gaming too; I've become borderline obsessed with checking out other players builds and strategies online- something I only seem to do with From games.
Major sticking points for me so far have been Balteus (obvs), the Sea Spider and most recently, Michigan. Thank god for the internet,eh?
MattL

Post by MattL »

So I bought AC6 on release, but have not been able to really start it until this week, due to the birth of my first child. I'm now like 10 missions in and, frankly, I'm just feeling like this is every mech game I've ever tried and put down.

To provide some background, I've never had any interest in mech games. I've tried a few (no ACs), but have never really connected with them, but I wanted to try AC6, because I've become such a fan of Fromsoft's by way of the Souls series, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Elden Ring. I was hoping that Fromsoft magic would make me a believer in mech games, but it just hasn't happened yet.

I went into this game knowing it's not a Souls-like, so I'm not expecting them to play the same at all, but I'm just not understanding what makes mech games interesting. The levels feel like robot Dynasty Warriors, wherein they're filled with enemies that are of no consequence or challenge to you. Just circle strafe, dodge occasionally, and keep firing and eventually everything dies. The only modicum of fun I'm having are the fights against other ACs and the bosses, where there is some actual thought and strategy required, but even those aren't that difficult or interesting yet. I was expecting so much more from a game directed by the lead combat designer of Sekiro. However, I just don't feel the compulsion to play through the boring levels to get to the somewhat interesting bosses.

When Fromsoft first announced AC6, I said to myself, "good for AC fans, but I'll skip it." I then bought into the hype based on several promotional videos and pre-ordered, but now I'm wishing I had trusted my gut.