638: Vampire Killer (Castlevania: Bloodlines / The New Generation)

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we'll be covering in our current volume of podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

638: Vampire Killer (Castlevania: Bloodlines / The New Generation)

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for Vampire Killer (Castlevania: Bloodlines / The New Generation) for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
Seph

Re: 638: Vampire Killer (Castlevania: Bloodlines / The New Generation)

Post by Seph »

If memory serves me right, The New Generation was the first Castlevania game I ever played. I don't recall every touching any of the Nintendo versions and while I had a Super Nintendo it was more of a Mario machine. Either way, as I was very much in action platformer mode when I played this I remember enjoying it a lot despite its difficulty. I think I maybe played as Eric once, but I was always a John guy because I thought he looked cooler. As a kid I never questioned the weird enemies or location, because I was used to nonsense, and I managed to finish the game completely a total of one time.

I replayed the game again in the last few months as part of the Castlevania collection. I opted for the Japanese version, Vampire Killer, due to it being the original and the uncensored gore. I found the game very difficult this time, which is either due to the original being harder or I've lost my skill in my advancing years.

Like a lot of games from the 16-bit era, the visuals still hold up and the music is fantastic. It was still enjoyable and, though it may be controversial, I rank this above Super Castlevania IV and consider it the best of the "linear" vanias. Especially due to the setting and story taking huge leads from Bram Stoker's novel, plus it made me aware of Elizabeth Báthory, whose life is fascinating. The cover art is also one of the best of the entire series, but not the North American version which makes John look like a half transformed Incredible Hulk and makes it seem like the main villain is some wolfman knock off.