Games Completed 2024

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Michiel K

Re: Games Completed 2024

Post by Michiel K »

Jobobonobo wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 10:10 pm
May 1: Ganbare Goemon 2: Kiteretsu Shōgun Magginesu (Go for it! Goemon 2: The Strange General McGuinness)
I want to be like you, no Baloo.

I have the cart for this too and I NEED to give it a full playthrough.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Spoiler: show
12/01 - The Legend of Zelda: The Missing Link
28/01 - Tony Hawk's Underground
02/02 - Max Payne
03/02 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (Hero Mode)
07/02 - Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
14/02 - Max Payne 3
23/02 - Splatoon 3: Side Order (first clear)
28/02 - Splatoon 3: Side Order (all Palettes cleared)
05/03 - Alan Wake
08/03 - Alan Wake's American Nightmare
17/04 - Skye
27/04 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD (Hard)
04/05 - Star Wars: Republic Commando
13/05 - Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
23/05 - NieR: Automata (endings A-Z)

I’ve been thinking about revisiting this game for a while, and finally got around to it. Still a fantastic game that holds a place as one of my all time favourites. I do have a few quibbles about it though, but they are more or less the same thoughts I had when I first played it years ago. Since I last went through this game I have played all the Drakengard games too, so that adds an interesting new layer of context to things as well.

One of the main things I wanted to pay attention to this run was the combat mechanics. I’ve always enjoyed it a lot and think it’s really good, but it tends to be one of the more common complaints about the game. I think people are usually too harsh on it, but it’s also one of the areas I have some issues with as well. Despite what you might hear some people say, these systems do have real depth. There is a lot of room for creativity, and there’s plenty of videos out there from people who have mastered this game showing what crazy stuff is possible. It has dodge offset, counters, pause combos, on-the-fly weapon switching, and more. But I have to admit I never dug in to it as much as I wanted to originally, and I wanted to fix that on this attempt. I was only moderately successful however. I did have some fun stringing together some basic combos and experimenting with different weapon sets, and I felt like I was able to add a bit of that flourish to fights I was aiming for, but at the same time I did find myself falling in to the trap that I was explicitly trying to avoid this time around.

The problem is that this game does a lot to not just provide no incentive to engage with these more complex systems, but it actively pushes the player away from exploring them in many ways. The biggest culprit being the plug-in chip system. The game pushes you towards using and tinkering with this system a lot, and the rewards for doing so are immense. It’s very easy to trivialise the combat in this game with that system, in many different ways. That’s something that I did try to avoid doing, but other barriers got in the way too. It takes a very long time for the game to roll out a decent variety of combat options alongside the chip system, and often puts limits on what you have access to at any given time. By the time you start getting a half decent array of options as 2B, you then switch over to playing as 9S who can’t do anywhere near as much. And then once you finally get access to that wider set of options again it’s been so long that you’ve gotten used to the simpler mechanics and there’s less desire to push deeper again.

I do appreciate that those more complex mechanics exist, and I did enjoy making what use of them that I did though. But aside from these issues, I think it’s worth acknowledging the intrinsic quality of this combat system regardless of what extrinsic motivation it may or may not provide. Exploring these mechanics provide a very aesthetically pleasing experience just on its own, and it allows you to be as expressive as you want. The game feel is sublime. The controls feel so immediate and responsive, like there’s no barrier between what you want to make the character do and them doing it. All animated in such a wonderfully expressive and stylish way too, polished to perfection. I feel like that sort of thing gets disregarded too easily these days, but having recently played other games that show how badly these seemingly simple things can do wrong, it makes you appreciate it so much. Before I ever got interested in any kind of technical stuff with character action games, it’s these qualities that first drew me to them, and has always been a big part of why I continue to enjoy them.

The story still stands up as being one of the best in games too. It goes in to so many interesting existential themes that give you a lot to think about. Like questions about how we construct meaning in our lives, how we use or even create conflict to justify our existence, considering the idea that conflict is necessary for growth, how we construct beliefs to drive us even when we know they aren’t true, or how we lionise figures from the past to give our current selves meaning. It’s all really compelling stuff. I was actually a little apprehensive how this stuff might hold up after playing Disco Elysium, as that game basically set the gold standard of how a game can deal with topics like this. While I have to admit Disco has this game beat, I think having played it actually helped me appreciate this one on a deeper level too.

Most of the really interesting stuff takes until the third route of the game though, and a lot of it is rather abstract and theoretical. While I do like it a lot, I still think I slightly prefer the story of the original Nier because it had a more human touch with its characters, while still dealing with a lot of the same themes. It’s a bit harder to connect with the intentionally robotic characters of Automata. That said, a lot of the big dramatic and tragic moments still manage to hit hard, even when they’re no longer a surprise.

The extra context from having played the Drakengard games did add a little to the experience, but not much to be honest. Going over how exactly gets in to specifics though so…
The symbol for the Cult of the Watchers appearing on Eve when he succumbs to the virus perhaps implies that the virus is somehow an iteration of the dark magic that the cult used to brainwash people. That, along with the machine network creating the emergent consciousness of the Red Girl also maybe lends some validity to the time loop theory of this franchise. Perhaps she somehow became the god of the cult. There’s also a connection to Manah, both in her appearance, and how at points she also talks with two overlapping voices of opposite genders. I have heard that Reincarnation (the mobile game) adds some significant pieces to the overarching lore of the series, and that might throw a spanner in the works for this theory, but I didn’t play enough to get to that stuff.
So aside from all that, there’s only a couple of smaller things I wanted to mention. The soundtrack is still incredible. I haven’t been thinking about this game’s score so much since getting obsessed with the Drakengard music and playing Replicant, so I was a little surprised how much it hit me this time around. It has such an eerie, otherworldly beauty to it. It’s melancholy, but still has a glimmer of hope to it. The more dramatic action scene pieces have a great driving energy to them as well. Playing through this got all those songs firmly stuck in my head once again just like before.

I also swear this game is more buggy than it used to be. It was always a bit rough around the edges, but I feel like I ran in to more problems than I did back in the day. One that came up a few times was weapons getting stuck through characters’ bodies when not in use. Once or twice there was a glitch where music didn’t cut out when it should have. Another time I got the witch time visual effect getting stuck on screen for a while because I triggered it at the moment the scene transitioned to another. Weird stuff. Don’t expect any of that is getting fixed at this point though.

I was really glad to finally get every single optional ending on this run too. I was so annoyed that I missed ending Y on my original run. The only missable thing in the game. That irked me so much, denying me the platinum, so I caved and bought that one last trophy from merchant who sells them. But now that I’ve done it, that platinum is now 100% legitimate. No lingering threads left with this game.

So anyway, had a great time. Still an all time favourite. There are some things I wish it did a better job at, but it’s hard to hold anything against it too much. It’s incredible, and truly a modern classic.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79 wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 12:11 pmJAN - Strider (Arcade on Evercade)
JAN - Strider (Megadrive on Switch)
JAN - God Of War (PS5)
JAN - Universal Paperclips (Android)
FEB - Alwa's Awakening (Evercade)
FEB - Little Inferno (Android)
FEB - Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall Of The Foot Clan (Gameboy on Switch)
FEB - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers (Gameboy on Switch)
MAR - Mario Golf (Gameboy on Switch)
MAR - Duke Nukem Remastered (Evercade)
APR - Castlevania Legends (Gameboy on Switch)
APR - The Combatribes (Arcade on Evercade)
APR - Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen (Switch)
APR - Bioshock (Switch)
MAY - Tinykin (Switch)
MAY - Elden Ring (Xbox)

Probably no one else has heard of this but you should give it a try. It came out a couple of years ago. It's a very good computer game.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

January 6th - Persona 5 Royal
January 11th - Control: Ultimate Edition
January 23rd - Alan Wake 2
February 13th - Batman: Return to Arkham - Arkham Asylum
March 2nd - Cocoon
April 6th - Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition
April 20th - Persona 3 Reload
May 24th - Doom (2016)

Sometimes you just need to shoot demons and run around like a headless chicken while listening to bad ass music. This game does the job nicely.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

26 May: The Ninja Warriors Again (SNES/SFC)

I never got to the ending of this amazing 16-bit single plain beat 'em up by Natsume, because I seldomly pressed continue after losing the single life you get, thinking I'd eventually clear it on one credit. And I did get pretty far!

But since my time is limited and I have a Cane and Rinse pod coming up on the game, I decided to grit my teeth and keep pressing continue until I saw the end credit. So this was the first time I saw the final 2 stages and bosses!

Some cool late game surprises, still and that last boss especially was a total bastard, but I've done it. With my
beloved scythe wielding death bot Kamaitachi.

I'm definitely not done with this game and I also look forward to putting more time into the remake!
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Battlefield 3 - Series X.
(Jan) Hi-Fi Rush - Series X.
(Jan) Daymare 1998 - Series X.
(Jan) The Beast Inside - Series X.
(Feb) XIII - Series X.
(Feb) Close to the Sun - Series X.
(Feb) Atomic Heart - Series X.
(Feb) Return to Grace - Series X.
(Feb) MADiSON - PS5.
(Mar) TDPA: House of Ashes - PS5.
(Mar) RE Village: Shadows of Rose - PS5.
(Mar) Those Who Remain - Series X.
(Mar) Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun - Series X.
(Mar) Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - PS5.
(Mar) Control: Ultimate Edition - Series X.
(Mar) DREDGE - Series X.
(Apr) Little Nightmares - Series X.
(Apr) Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - Series X.
(Apr) Robocop: Rogue City - PS5.
(Apr) Little Nightmares II - Series X.
(May) Fallout 4 - PS5.
(May) The Maw - Xbox 360.
(May) Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - Series X.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Jan 4th - Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS5)
Jan 10th - Jusant (Xbox Series S)
Feb 6th - Resident Evil 4 (PS5)
Feb 19th - Resident Evil 4 - Hardcore (PS5)
Feb 25th - Interaction isn't explicit (PS5)
Mar 10th - The Last of Us Part II: Remastered (PS5)
Apr 16th - TLoZ: TOTK (all shrines) / Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Challenge Tombs) / Helldivers 2 (PS5) / Split Second (Xbox Series S)
May 1st - Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (Xbox Series S)
May 17th - Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (PS5)

May 27th - Shadow of the Colossus (PS5)

Despite the original being my favourite PS2 game and in my top 10 games of all time, I'd never wanted to play the remake before. The graphics and lighting always looked a bit 'off' to me, and lacking the atmosphere that those fuzzy, misty PS2 graphics gave off.

After I got used to the sharpness of the visuals though and the slightly terrible rendition of Wanda's face, I really fell for this remakes charms.

It feels like a real labour of love to a game that two decades on, is still one of a kind. It's been so long since I replayed the original that I can't tell if this is greatly altered, but it didn't seem to be to me.

That feeling of isolation, sadness and that you are doing a bad thing is still very much there. The ruined landscape is largely empty and devoid of life, but the glimpses of a lost civilization and nature are beautiful.

The music is as incredible as I remember it. And this remake is gorgeous. I lost track of how many times I stood marvelling at the vistas, colossus and world.

Gameplay wise, the quirks are still there that I largely like. The awkward controls convey this sense that you might fall hundreds of feet at any moment and that you are a small, insignificant blight on these majestic beasts. Some of the shoddy 20 year old camera work and controls did big me on that final, disappointing colossus but that aside, they were fine for me.

The star of the show is still the colossi. I'd forgotten several of them and felt like a genius working out the solutions, only resorting to a guide once when I knew what to do, just not how to trigger it. Giant, living platforms to climb. A simple idea on paper, a staggering achievement in reality.

It feels like witchcraft to me, even now, how someone came up with that idea and pulled it off. And with such variety. I'm still not sure gaming has bettered that feeling of when you grab onto the flying colossus here or work out how to ride beneath the waves on another.

Ueda's work has always been magical to me. He's the greatest game designer in my eyes for his 3 titles to date. They represent singular, huge thoughts, executed to a level that whole AAA studios never get near. I understand why people get annoyed at the controls or how clear instructions are left vague; but that mystery and fragility are what make these games so special to me.

And you can see how Shadow of the colossus has inspired so many great games since; Breath of the wild. Xenoblade Chronicles. Bayonetta. Elden Ring.

I am so glad that it's now got a playable version that will endure for many years to come.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

28 May: The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors (Nintendo Switch)

After clearing the original Ninja Warriors Again with Kamaitachi, I decided to do the same in this very fine remake. Overall, it's an easier game in many ways, but the final boss was more of a pain in this one and took me countless tries to take down.

I've unlocked the remake exclusive character Yaksha now, who seems very interesting and depends more on meter usage to be effective. More high risk high reward, I get the impression.

Not done with either the original and the remake!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Indiana747 wrote: May 26th, 2024, 9:54 pm (May) Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - Series X.
How did you find Hellblade 2?
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

Hi Kurt, yeah, ehh, honestly, i felt it was a bit of a slog, 7hr game that felt like it was twice as long as that. I do prefer my action games but ive got a pretty broad spectrum of game tastes & give them all a fair crack of the whip but I dont feel Hellblade II built on a rather solid entry that was Senua's Sacrifice.
Its looks & sounds beautiful but ultimately i enjoyed it less than the first. This could be my fault though, im not sure i was quite ready for a "hold the left stick forward & listen to narration" type game atm.
It represents Game Pass perfectly though, a game that im interested in but would wait for a half price sale in future but wait, its on Game Pass you say, il give it a go.
For a studio predominantly famous for combat games the combat is a very run of the mill tedious affair, i groaned at every combat encounter, i played the game on "dynamic difficulty" maybe its a better expierience on hard or even easy for that matter. The whole enemies coming at you one by one was laborious, i know some smartass is gonna come out & say, Don, you idiot, its obviously a metaphor, a gaming representation of someone with a mental illness dealing with issues one by one because dealing with them all at once is a head clusterfuck. Yes, i am an idiot, ive proven this before, but my stupidity aside this makes for poor gameplay combat is my point.
All in all its a game that didnt seem to evolve from the first, just got a graphical upgrade. It def did not need to be announced 5 years ago by MS & essentially be put on this pedastel of Microsofts "next big thing" & i think recently MS have realised this & dialled down the hype machine knowing it wasnt going to be a system seller.
Summary, i was looking forward to it, it delivers for the most part but i was kinda expecting more.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

30 May: Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny (PS2)

Capcom were really going all in on these first 2 Onimusha games on PS2, weren't they? What a campy, borderline insane action adventure romp this second one in the series was. But it's also really beautiful with sometimes breathtaking prerendered, animated backgrounds.

This one also has this gift/bonding systems where you need to befriend certain recurring characters, with different optional events and side plots opening up as a result. It's pretty cool stuff and makes the game replayable in that old Capcom tradition as you can't get everything on one playthrough.

I played this with my regular "survival horror" playing buddy, passing the controller around every save point. We already started on Onimusha 3, starring Takeshi Kaneshiro and... Jean Reno. Insanity.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

02/02 - Max Payne
14/02 - Max Payne 3
05/03 - Alan Wake
17/04 - Skye
01/06 - Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements

This game had some interesting elements, and was genuinely fun at times, but it has a lot of issues dragging it down. It’s perhaps a victim of being too prototypical of what it’s trying to do.

In trying to adapt an immersive sim mentality to a linear action game, it does result in a cool sense of reactivity to gameplay. A lot of the combat has physics driven elements, there’s lots of environmental hazards that can be exploited, and things that can be mixed together in interesting ways to create a sort of chain reaction of effects to creatively take down enemies. The kick move in particular is pretty fun, and is often the core ingredient in a lot of this stuff. It gives the combat a pretty physical feel to it as well, and punting enemies off cliffs never gets old.

But at the same time, the game does feel somewhat limited in its possibility space. It has a fun bag of tricks, but it’s not a very deep bag. There’s a handful of things you can do that lift this game up above the most basic core mechanics, but there’s little beyond that.

That said, I think a lot of the issues I encountered were down to some of the decisions I made in how I played this game. I chose the fighter class, as that’s usually the archetype I go with in ARPGs, and that may have been a mistake. The fighter has very few magic abilities, and a lot of the praise I have heard about this game does involve the way magic spells can be used in combination with other stuff. This game locks you in to your class before you even start, and doesn’t let you use any equipment of any of the other classes, even though you can pick them up. So it does seem like it wants you to replay it with other classes.

I think playing the console version may have also been the cause of some of the problems. Usually I do this because I want to use a controller, and I’m willing to make some concessions to be able to do that, but this version feels too compromised to make up for it. For some reason they decided to basically strip out all the RPG mechanics, giving you no choice in the abilities you unlock as you progress through the game. It’s just a linear series of upgrades. There might have been more to this game if I had some ability to actually build a character how I wanted.

This console version also looks quite bad graphically. In terms of aesthetics, it’s pretty generic and uninspired fantasy. There are some areas that can look quite nice though, but those are isolated examples in a whole that doesn’t stir the imagination. But the real problem is that the brightness and contrast are completely broken. No matter what you do with the settings, the image either looks totally washed out making it near impossible to see any details, or way too dark, making it even less visible. It’s not so bad when you’re in well-let outdoor areas, but ¾ of this game takes place in dark caves and dungeons and such. It also doesn’t help that the frame rate tanks in those more open areas, or whenever there’s more than a couple of enemies on screen.

The story was also pretty dull and hard to follow. It’s a very basic MacGuffin hunt, where it provides little to no context or motivation for why any of it matters. I think that might be partially intentional though, to serve the twist that happens later on in the game that is hidden through the protagonist’s amnesia. But it’s not handled very well. The plot point is one that has the potential to be interesting, but they don’t pull that off here.

Getting through this ended up being kind of a slog, despite it being a pretty short game. It does have some glimmer of a great idea though, and it is enjoyable when you get to see that, but it’s something that would ultimately be realised better in later games. Here it feels way too underdeveloped, and unnecessarily hamstrung by the decisions made in this port. Maybe the PC version would have been a better experience, but there was nothing really inherent to the console platform that meant it had to be this way.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

1 June: Devil Blade Reboot (PC)

I bought this incredibly cool vertically scrolling shmup by ex-Vanillaware dev Shigatake in its release window of a week or so back and 1CC'd NORMAL mode on my 3rd or 4th try.

You'd think that it must be a super easy game then, right? But the adiovisual presentation is so balls to the wall that you never think that while playing. The PS1/Saturn-but-enhanced visuals are lavish and crazy high octane. You're flying through environments at ludicrous speeds, enemies come at you in zippy, dive bombing formations and sh*t blows up around you constantly.

Today's 1CC was the first time I prioritised survival over scoring (the scoring system is really fun, but also ramps up the game's difficulty considerably, in an extreme display of the old risk-reward principle) and he first time I breached the 4th stage (out of 6 or so).

The reason why I got by wthout having to practice and learn these new stages is that most enemy attack patterns are so intuitively designed and so incredibly well telegraphed, that Devil Blade Reboot might as well be the anti-memorisation shmup and definitely the one for players that hate having to learn and practice. Keen observation and quick reactions serve you well in this game and where your abilities falter, the fact that using a bomb activates a shield that keeps you protected agains 1 hit and those bombs being frequent pickups and getting replenished at the end of each stage can carry you all the way to the end.

Which is what happened and I got the 1 credit clear.

I got it by the skin of my teeth though, on my last life, no bombs left, no shields left and barely surviving the final phase of the final boss.

What a rush!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That reminds me, is your shmup still coming to Switch? :)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Alex79 wrote: June 1st, 2024, 9:04 pm That reminds me, is your shmup still coming to Switch? :)
Oh yes! There was just the small matter of my friend having to rewrite much of the game to keep performance and visuals on par with the PC version. :lol:

But it's nearing completion. I suspect we can announce a release date very soon.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Michiel K wrote: June 2nd, 2024, 8:26 am
Alex79 wrote: June 1st, 2024, 9:04 pm That reminds me, is your shmup still coming to Switch? :)
Oh yes! There was just the small matter of my friend having to rewrite much of the game to keep performance and visuals on par with the PC version. :lol:

But it's nearing completion. I suspect we can announce a release date very soon.
Ah brilliant! Looking forward to playing it but don't have a PC :) Thanks for the update!
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Thank YOU for your interest, Alex!
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Balatro
It took me 35 hours to get my first win but it's testament to the game that I was always having fun the whole time. It was perfect to pick up and play and gave me a nice endorphin rush when you racked up the big scores in one hand. It's now firmly one of my favourite indie games and one of the most addictive, one more go that types I have played since Into the Breach. I only knock one point off as I sometimes thought the run would be perhaps a little too reliant on luck. 9/10
oni-link

Post by oni-link »

It's been a while since I've had time for an update, but in the last few weeks I've finished 4 games:

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor (2023)

I really liked Fallen Order, but Jedi Survivor surpasses it in every way. It's a huge game, with massive areas and tons of places to explore. The story and characters are great, and the combat is improved from the first game.

Some of the set pieces are amongst the most visually impressive and fun things I've experienced this console generation, and the game has surprisingly good platforming sections too.

The only downside is that it's again a mish mash of several other games/genres, with the game doing very little that's truly unique. However, judged on it's own merits it's a fantastic AAA adventure game.

SteamWorld Heist (2015)

I replayed this in anticipation of the sequel which is coming later this year, and it's just as good as I remember. In theory, a 2D XCOM shouldn't work, but in practice, it's fantastic.

Lining up a trick shot that bounces off walls and ceilings before taking the head clean off a foe always feels great.

The perfect mix of strategy and skill, and a game in the genre that can be finished in a dozen hours is always welcomed.

Kaze and the Wild Masks (2021)

Kaze and the Wild Masks is a love letter to the SNES DKC games. Kaze is pretty much Dixie Kong, and a lot of aspects from the game are lifted from the DKC games directly, from barrels you're blasted out of now being crossbows, and from the minecart levels now being levels where a mask forces you to move forward at all times.

It's a really good tribute to the DKC games, but it also fails to do much that differentiates itself from them. It's great if you want more DKC, but overall it's a very derivative experience.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II (2024)

Senua's Saga will be a game that frustrates a lot of players. It's slow, there are a lot of sections where you walk forward slowly while characters talk, and the puzzles are the kind of thing you would generally find in games from several generations ago.

This is the kind of game where you need to be invested in the story to get more than just pretty visuals from the experience (however the visuals are mind blowing)

I enjoyed the previous Hellblade game. There isn't much else like it, and I'm glad that developers do try and make these kind of experiences. The sound design and audio (especially when playing with headphones, which is what the developers recommend) is incredible, and Hellblade 2 improves upon everything from the first game.

The puzzles are now more varied (The shape matching puzzle doesn't repeat as many times). There are more characters in the game. The story moves around locations more. Even the combat feels better.

It's still very much a follow up to the first game, so if you didn't like that, then you probably won't like this much either, but I found the game to be both beautiful and moving. A memorable experience.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

02/02 - Max Payne
14/02 - Max Payne 3
05/03 - Alan Wake
17/04 - Skye
01/06 - Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: Elements
03/06 - Tales From Off-Peak City Vol. 1

This is an amusing curio I've had my eye on for a while now. It's a short adventure game where you take the role of running a pizza delivery service as a cover for trying to steal the restaurant owner's prized saxophone. It takes place in a few blocks of a run-down neighbourhood of a surreal city full of strange and quirky characters. It's a lot of fun exploring around this place and interacting with all the oddball residents and hearing about their personal troubles that gives this game a sense of groundedness, despite how intentionally strange it is. The story is pretty interesting too, as you end up learning about the struggles of the lives of the people you meet, and eventually it ends up delving in to a bit of corporate espionage related to the big mega-corporation that controls the local economy. It has a great atmosphere too, with all the bold and weird imagery there is to see. It also has a very strong musical feel to it. Every location has its own musical identity, and the soundtrack has a very jazzy and playful tone to it, but it's also a bit mysterious with a slightly dark edge. The dialogue also has a fun quirk in that it does the Banjo-style gibberish, but all the sounds are from musical instruments.

---

03/06 - Off-Peak

So after finishing Vol. 1 I decided to go look to see if Vol. 2 was out yet, since I knew it was part of a wider series of games. That follow-up may not be out yet, but instead I found this free prologue of sorts that takes place within the same setting. This time you're exploring a vast and uncanny train station as you try to cobble together scraps of a ticket to get on a train. It's a smaller and less polished experience, but one that shares a lot of the same charm. The station itself is full of a load of cool art installations that gives it a sense of culture, and a dramatic skybox of an intense red sunset. It also has a similar jazzy musical soundscape to it as well.