Grand Theft Auto / GTA Online

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: All things Grand Theft Auto

Post by ratsoalbion »

It really depends a lot on the car you're driving. Some of them are incredibly twitchy and tail-happy but others aren't at all.

I think the on-foot stuff is meant to pick up in pace as the characters improve through doing? But yeah, Franklin can struggle to lumber over a three foot wall during the early stages.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I don't think it helps that I've just finished need for speed where you spend half your cornering powersliding around like something from fast & furious :D
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Infinitely superior to GTA 4. Its mind blowing in fact. I absolutely love it.
Beck

Post by Beck »

I dunno how you guys feel about the cheats for GTA games, I find them fun when farting about but I'll wait until I'm finished the story.

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Cheats_an ... heat_Codes
flyingtortoise

Post by flyingtortoise »

So a couple of hours last night and an hour this morning, and I'm loving it - to me, R* have taken GTA IV and tightened up all the "loose screws" in the game and then provided a level of detail across everything.

The cars are a massive improvement in handling - very little fishtailing (I think this has happened twice throughout both playthroughs). Walking does seem sluggish but that may be me being used to other games.

I actually drove properly through the world this morning (i.e. not careening through redlights, cyclists, and pedestrians at top speed). It was amazing to see all the detail that was there!

Can't wait to get back into it tonight!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Too much to post, silence probably speaks volumes (or something) but on the note of volume anybody with a pulse headset should get on the US store and get the modified audio settings for GTA, they sound nice and crunchy!

Keeping it short here but after a while of almost feeling let down by the licensed music a number of songs have just kept sneaking in and I'm well on board with what was looking like my only criticism of the game so far... the score though, looking to be the finest since the last of us.

I didn't even mention the actual game yet, well worth the wait!

On a side note I'm not feeling much love for the games media right now, I understand it'll be hard to get hits when people are playing the game instead of reading about it for the first time in months, but is it really necessary to be putting articles out discussing the most controversial part of the game (a part that 15 hours in I'm fairly certain I haven't seen yet) on the day of release? Do months of ad revenue and early access to the game have no effect of these people? FUCK!! what bitter shits!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Only slight issue I have is that playing on an SD TV, the text is a little small to read. Ingame it's fine, but looking on the Internet pages it can be a bit hard to make out.
Want to get buying some clothes etc, haven't found any shops on the map though. Still, the guide is only £7 on amazon.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I got this from Tesco on the way home from work. It was hilarious, two blokes in front of me in the queue, one behind. All five of us clutching a copy of GTA 5, haha. We kind of shared a knowing nod and slight grin.

:lol:

Played two hours. Very first impressions - driving wtf? Other than that seems good if a little overwhelming with tutorial hints at the moment! There seems an awful lot to pay attention to. Only played the prologue and a couple of Franklin missions so far. Are the Simeon missions time sensitive as it doesn't ever appear to be open when I go there now.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

AndyKurosaki wrote:Only slight issue I have is that playing on an SD TV, the text is a little small to read. Ingame it's fine, but looking on the Internet pages it can be a bit hard to make out.
I'm having trouble with seeing some of the text too, but I'm on a 26" TV in 720p. I'm hardly far from the screen either.

Anyways, I've finally managed to unlock Trevor. I'm already at the point where he's planning a heist, but he's still pretty newly unlocked compared to the other guys. And geez, they way they introduce him is insane! To explain exactly how would be far too spoilerific, but it had me thinking to myself "holy shit, did they really just do that?". I was quite taken aback, even with the expectations you would have with a GTA game.
James

Post by James »

For the first time since GTA3 I'm actually inclined more to roaming than chasing after the next main mission. Just driving and walking around to see what can be found has been great fun.

That's not to say that the main missions (and 'Strangers...' missions) haven't been good, but for some reason I'm happy simply exploring. Looking forward to putting some time in over the weekend.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Franklin's friend Lamar is delightful. He always seems to have something witty to say and generally seems like a great fellow. I hope he doesn't die (I'm not that far in the story).
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Really enjoying the new mechanics, but there is one major problem I have...

It wants you to go back and replay missions to get a Gold rating, which is awarded by meeting very specific criteria. Some missions can take up to 20 minutes (possibly longer later in the game) and yet, if you mess up there is no "restart mission" option in the menu's. This seems utterly ridiculous oversight to me. The only way to counter it is to Load your game (which takes you back to your current story progress) and from there, replay mission. The whole loading process for this can take 2-3 minutes. A simply restart mission option would reduce this to 20-30 seconds at most. Why they've not done it is absolutely mind-boggling.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

NokkonWud wrote:Really enjoying the new mechanics, but there is one major problem I have...

It wants you to go back and replay missions to get a Gold rating, which is awarded by meeting very specific criteria. Some missions can take up to 20 minutes (possibly longer later in the game) and yet, if you mess up there is no "restart mission" option in the menu's. This seems utterly ridiculous oversight to me. The only way to counter it is to Load your game (which takes you back to your current story progress) and from there, replay mission. The whole loading process for this can take 2-3 minutes. A simply restart mission option would reduce this to 20-30 seconds at most. Why they've not done it is absolutely mind-boggling.
I wonder if there's an option to re-do once you complete the game?
a bit like the Red Dead Redemption Multiplayer Missions?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

When you fail a mission you get a 'retry or quit' option. And if you fail it a lot of times in a row, it offers to let you skip it.

So it's weird that they didn't give you that same option on success.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I think you can replay any mission you've already beaten at any time from the menu..?

Edit: Oh yeah, except that the option is unavailable while you're on a mission. Hmmm.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone know if you can load a custom radio soundtrack on the PS3? It seems like it should be an awfully easy thing to implement (seeing as NFS:MW let you), but Rockstar never seem to let you do it!
Ashguyver

Post by Ashguyver »

just realised that one thing i haven't seen yet is a single ambulance or firetruck, anyone else?
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Ashguyver wrote:just realised that one thing i haven't seen yet is a single ambulance or firetruck, anyone else?
I've seen ambulances. Try hitting someone with a car and waiting around for a little while ;)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I crashed into a fire station and died playing it last night...
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Yesterday I was driving on an elevated highway and crashed in to the back of a car, which sent me flying off the side. Fell down in to what I think was the dock area, and I landed on something which I couldn't see that instantly blew me up.