Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
dezm0nd

Re: Mario Kart 8: Next session January 17th, 8pm

Post by dezm0nd »

Thanks to everyone who attended. I always can't believe it when the room fills up!

I was rubbish at it though. Lost all my skills, somehow. I thought they stayed with you for life!
Flabyo

Re: Mario Kart 8: Next session TBA

Post by Flabyo »

Not being able to change your vehicle without backing out of the lobby is one of the dumbest things ever.

I love Nintendo, but when it comes to online play they always miss the little details that make things smooth.
Giles

Post by Giles »

I wondered if that's what this option was for (to cut down on time spent between-races) -

..but it's do with if you have more than 12 people playing, it'll shuffle the players that make up the two (or more) lobbies every 4 races.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

yeah being unable to switch characters, controllers and/or vehicles is a very typical nintendo oversight.

They do love to hamstring their games in the most obvious ways
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

It was a fun session. I had a bit of trouble getting in at first though. I guess the room was full when I first attempted to join, and I stole someone else's spot when I managed to get in.

I'm still kind of unsure of how much I actually like this game though, when it comes to the online mode at least. When there's so many people on track, it's just utter chaos, and you're going up and down places like crazy, making your finishing position feel kind of arbitrary sometimes. But other times, things seem to be more consistent. I think what character you pick and how many coins you pick up seem to factor a lot in to it, which is why I also think it's annoying that you can't change your character and kart once you're in a lobby. But with that said, I still had a fun time, so I can't hate on the game too much. As I've said with the GOTY voting thread, MK8 surprised me in how much I actually like it. I've got way more fun out of it than I was expecting to.

And although Nintendo are still lagging behind with online features, I don't think it's all bad. From my experience, which has been with MK8, MH3U, and Bayo 2, getting in to a game lobby has always been quick, and lobbies are stable with no lag at all. Very seamless experience, albeit with limited features. The only exception to that is that sometimes I've got an error message trying to join random lobbies in Bayo 2, but that's relatively rare, and not a 1st party Nintendo game.

When you compare that experience with the mess that so many other games have been having with their online modes recently, I think Nintendo deserve some praise. When their online system can put Xbox Live to shame, with stuff like the Halo MCC issues, they're certainly not doing too badly.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah it's utter chaos and can be frustrating which is why I don't setup these games night more often. I feel like i've just spent enough time away from it to revel and the enjoy the chaos which ensues on-screen and to me, it doesn't really matter who's winning or losing. It's all about the moment. Not the result :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

What I would say about MK8 - and indeed all Mario Kart games - is that the same two players finishing 1st and 2nd in virtually every race is a great illustration that with expertise, knowledge, skill and consistency you absolutely can 'rise above' the chaos and (almost) guarantee victory.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I'd love to know what the secret is. I felt I was doing pretty well keeping up with the leaders at the start but then started picking up 10th, 11th place finishes towards the end. I was playing online with some random last night and the same thing happened; I seemed to keep getting the wrong items for each situation and couldn't compete. I do love MK8, though.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I think I've definitely noticed a connection between how many coins you have and how near the front of the starting grid you are when it comes to success. Having a good character and kart is also part of that too, but that seems to be more down to personal preference than there being any "best" one. I definitely find it almost impossible to pull out of the lower position when I can't get coins, but of course being lower down in the pack means it's way harder to get coins in the first place. If you're lucky and get out in front early, you can pick them all up before anyone else gets to them, and you can get a proper racing line down without anyone in your way. Smart defensive use of items is key to keeping position as well, but if you do it right you might not even need to use them at all most of the time.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yep, all that. And boosting. Boosting boosting boosting. Around every corner at least once and sometimes on the straights. Oh and taking the optimum line on every part of every course as well too of course.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Its way harder than Mario Kart Wii. My Mrs and I used to be quite good but she's thrown the towel in on 8 as she's been last every race. I've not fared much better not finishing higher than 3rd most of the time. Suppose its expected joining a game 8 months after launch. Still love it though
dezm0nd

Re: Mario Kart 8: Next session March 7th 2015

Post by dezm0nd »

Oh, it's ON! (Next week, not right now)

Who's up for it?

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'll try arrive before its finished this time
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The second DLC must be out at some point soon right?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

It's recently been re-confirmed for May (In Japan, at least). I thought I'd like to get a few more under our belts before the Animal Crossing stuff comes out!

I imagine it won't be long before we start seeing details on what is actually in the pack, mind!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

If the lobby isn't full already I'll be there!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ladies and Gentlefolk! Start your engines... and keep them running until tomorrow night! We're 24 hours away from another swear filled night of Mario Kart 8!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Got to go pick someone up from an airport leaving at 8pm now :( I'll be there for the next one!.
Jinkkai

Post by Jinkkai »

Thanks for the races guys!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Same here, great stuff once again!