Grand Theft Auto / GTA Online

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: All things Grand Theft Auto

Post by Alex79 »

:D
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Scrustle wrote:Well, I just did the torture mission. Pretty heavy fucking stuff. I can see why people aren't exactly comfortable with it. Quite a change of tone from the rest of the game too.
Playing GTA V, you can smell other Rockstar games in it. Smugglers Run, Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne 3 and with this torture scene, Manhunt.

It's a bit extreme and felt like it was there for free advertising from the daily mail but I didn't find it offensive. I always find it quite exciting to see videogames pushing boundaries like the strong presence of drug taking and seeing how the game deals with them.

I did wince a few moments, mind. :shock:
Doggett

Post by Doggett »

Just watched Forin and Moodie at the cinema.
It was very emotional. :D
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

It's been out almost a week and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface of this remarkable achievement. Love that you can buy properties again, love how colourful everything is, love the sense of bizarre humour that kicks in from time to time (I just sky-dived in a haze of ultraviolet colour after ingesting some of Jimmy's pot).

The only downside is that I find all of the three characters repellent. Despite being the most 'out-there' of the lot, I find Trevor is the only character that I warm to because he's the only character that shows any self-awareness; he knows he's an asshole and he behaves like one. Michael's constant naval-gazing about thinking he's the good guy has me reaching for the volume controls.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

dezm0nd wrote:
Scrustle wrote:Well, I just did the torture mission. Pretty heavy fucking stuff. I can see why people aren't exactly comfortable with it. Quite a change of tone from the rest of the game too.
Playing GTA V, you can smell other Rockstar games in it. Smugglers Run, Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne 3 and with this torture scene, Manhunt.

It's a bit extreme and felt like it was there for free advertising from the daily mail but I didn't find it offensive. I always find it quite exciting to see videogames pushing boundaries like the strong presence of drug taking and seeing how the game deals with them.

I did wince a few moments, mind. :shock:
Don't get me wrong, I didn't find it offensive either. My reaction to it was more or less the same as you. Strangely, I found the hardest part of it to watch was...
Spoiler: show
...the tooth pulling and the electrocution. Visually, the waterboarding doesn't really look that brutal from that outside perspective, and the wrench was over so quickly, and also not that graphic. But the way you had to wiggle around on the stick to pull the tooth really made you feel like you were actually doing it, and seeing the guy's body react and twitch while being electrocuted was horrible.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

I've just read up on installing the play disc to a usb stick. It sounds silly, but having to put a disc in my old (white!) 360 was really putting me off! It is sooo noisey spinning a disc it makes it hard to chill whilst playing.

Is anyone else using that method?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I'm playing from PS3 Blu-ray/install so no, but it sounds like a good idea and has been recommended for optimal performance on 360.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I have a question for anyone who's done the Merryweather/harbour heist:
Spoiler: show
For those who decided to opt for stealing containers in the harbour: did you get a reward for it? I chose to steal the unknown thing off the coast and got no prize for it, so I was wondering if that happens both ways. Also, if you replay the heist in a different way that would give you a prize, do you get to keep it?
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

Doesn't it seem like everyone in the game is talking about Liberty City? Real people from LA hardly ever talk about New York...
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Yeah but to be fair, real talking polar bears called Boggy rarely talk about Freezeezy Peak but in Nuts & Bolts, you can't shut him up ;)
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

magicjoef wrote:I've just read up on installing the play disc to a usb stick. It sounds silly, but having to put a disc in my old (white!) 360 was really putting me off! It is sooo noisey spinning a disc it makes it hard to chill whilst playing.

Yep, I couldn't face playing off the disc for the whole game, even if the fan does add to the immersion when flying a helicopter. I don't seem to get any more pop-in than I was getting when streaming off the disc, so it's well worth doing if you're an older XBox user.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Electric Crocosaurus wrote:
magicjoef wrote:I've just read up on installing the play disc to a usb stick. It sounds silly, but having to put a disc in my old (white!) 360 was really putting me off! It is sooo noisey spinning a disc it makes it hard to chill whilst playing.

Yep, I couldn't face playing off the disc for the whole game, even if the fan does add to the immersion when flying a helicopter. I don't seem to get any more pop-in than I was getting when streaming off the disc, so it's well worth doing if you're an older XBox user.
Cheers, yeah I picked it up last night and did the USB install and it definitely seemed to be working fine.

So are there many on Xbox? We'll need to sort out some online for when it comes out.
strickenmcq

Post by strickenmcq »

I'm also using a usb stick for the play disc as the game seemed to need to access it an awful lot when it wasn't installed. Not noticed any difference in performance except for a much quieter xbox 360!!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Anyone know how the crew thing works. I have noticed one or two people signed up to a C&R crew? Can anyone join?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

If you're a member of the rock star social club, yeah!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

dezm0nd wrote:If you're a member of the rock star social club, yeah!
I've only just signed up for Social Club because of the looming online mode looking so good, I'll find the crew and join!

As a side note, does anyone know if older games you've played get their stats passed over to Social Club? Or did you have to be a member at the time?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I guess if you go back and boot the game(s) in question and do the account link thing through the game it will probably sync them up..?
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

It has picked up most of my 360 stuff, looks like it is just Red Dead not showing. I'll try booting it up this eve. Might just take a while I guess.

Anyway, I'm in the crew and ready for duty ;)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cool I'll join tonight too.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ah man can't wait for GTA Online, it looks awesome. I just thought the multiplayer was going to be like in GTA 4, since I've been actively avoiding any GTA news for the last year. Just read what it's going to be the other day.