The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
skidoosh

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by skidoosh »

I'll give that a go this weekend. Been playing through the Battlefield 1 stories (dialogue is a bit ham-fisted in parts but has a very healthy dose of "Let's f**ckin av it then" to make up for it. But overall very positive) and it's screaming like a banshee. I can hear it from the back of the house two rooms away :-/ If they'd patched Bloodborne I'd have been day one on it though! Thanks for the youtube link too!
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

skidoosh wrote:So. Just got a wee rebate from the student loan company and I was wondering if the PS4 pro is worth the money? My launch PS4s fan sounds like it's trying to reverse global warming which is made worse as it's only about 2ft away from me when I play. I don't have a 4k TV but I'm not really fussed about it. My question is, is it quieter and is there a decent performance boost on patched games at 1080p? I play a lot of pvp shooters so I like the Ps and Is :) Any first hand opinions would be really useful. I've heard loads of people saying the slim is whisper quit so I'm a little torn :-/
I have a Pro and it's deadly quiet compared to my old launch PS4.

As far as it being worth it if you don't have a 4K TV, it's hard to say as I do have 4K. But if you're going to get a new TV in the future it's worth it for sure.

Also, the extra storage space comes in handy, and if you have VR you'll notice a nice difference on those games.

If you're thinking of upgrading your console anyway and can afford to go Pro, I'd certainly do that over the Slim.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Pitwar wrote:
skidoosh wrote:So. Just got a wee rebate from the student loan company and I was wondering if the PS4 pro is worth the money? My launch PS4s fan sounds like it's trying to reverse global warming which is made worse as it's only about 2ft away from me when I play. I don't have a 4k TV but I'm not really fussed about it. My question is, is it quieter and is there a decent performance boost on patched games at 1080p? I play a lot of pvp shooters so I like the Ps and Is :) Any first hand opinions would be really useful. I've heard loads of people saying the slim is whisper quit so I'm a little torn :-/

As far as it being worth it if you don't have a 4K TV, it's hard to say as I do have 4K. But if you're going to get a new TV in the future it's worth it for sure.

Also, the extra storage space comes in handy, and if you have VR you'll notice a nice difference on those games.

If you're thinking of upgrading your console anyway and can afford to go Pro, I'd certainly do that over the Slim.
Yeah. I might get a 4k monitor one day but I was more hoping for an improvement at 1080. Tried to gave a go of the Battlefield 1 MP yesterday and performance wise it was choppy as anything. Looks great while you're stood still! I'll have to ponder it this weekend after I've cleaned it.
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

skidoosh wrote:
Pitwar wrote:

Yeah. I might get a 4k monitor one day but I was more hoping for an improvement at 1080. Tried to gave a go of the Battlefield 1 MP yesterday and performance wise it was choppy as anything. Looks great while you're stood still! I'll have to ponder it this weekend after I've cleaned it.
Sorry dude, can't be of much help with the difference it makes for 1080p games, I've only run it through my 4K TV.
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Pitwar wrote:
skidoosh wrote:
Pitwar wrote:

Sorry dude, can't be of much help with the difference it makes for 1080p games, I've only run it through my 4K TV.

No worries. Thanks for the help both of you. Been playing Titanfall 2 all weekend on it and it doesn't get half as loud as Battlefield 1. Might clean it and see how it goes.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Titanfall 2 is £25 on PSN right now for a day or two.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Valkyria Revolution is coming to North America and Europe this spring. It’ll be on PS4, Xbox One, and - believe it or not - Vita.
http://kotaku.com/valkyria-revolution-i ... 1790092968
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I still can't get over it being an action RPG rather than a turn based strategy. Hopefully there will be a demo to change my mind because I would definitely try a demo of it.

Also since a series like this is more Japan focused, surely the surprise is that its coming to Xbox One.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

What pisses me off is that the WW1 style seems to be completely gone in favor of a generic anime look which completely turned me off together with the shift in gameplay,there's no winning with this game if it sells well it just tells SEGA to keep the series on this path and if it doesnt they'll just axe the series without realizing what people liked about it in the first place.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Todinho wrote:there's no winning with this game if it sells well it just tells SEGA to keep the series on this path and if it doesnt they'll just axe the series without realizing what people liked about it in the first place.
Very true. Still, looking forward to it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Todinho wrote:What pisses me off is that the WW1 style seems to be completely gone in favor of a generic anime
Only the first game really had that. The second brought in giant hammers, shields, and was set in a high school (essentially). The third was more of a 'dirty dozen' story.

Basically, the series isn't only now changing style, it did so years ago.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Then,in my humble opinion,the new game should go back to it's roots instead of further apart from it. It should go back to what made the first game so unique and memorable,it's gameplay and aesthetic not go the opposite way,but Im sure there are 1000 focus tests that prove me wrong...
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

I've not played the valkyria games yet so i don't know how the story goes but would they have anything new and interesting to add to the games if they aren't going to change the game play. I'm guessing tthe new games story is not going to be as good as the first ones no matter what they tried and it'll be conpared to that for sure. not that I'm saying what I've seen of the new game looks like a good change. reminds me a lot of hyrule warriors and i didn't like that game eather. but as i said i have not played the games so i wouldn't know. just a feeling.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

I think that another home console Valkyria Chronicles would be about refining the gameplay really. Improve the AI, sort out some balance among the five solder classes and sort out the end level ranking so its not solely based on number of turns, for example. I feel that the series never really got a chance for that as the second and third entries both had to adjust to the lower power of the PSP which meant the focus was on fitting the gameplay for smaller segmented battlefields rather than improving the gameplay on the larger levels of the original.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Morning all! Right, it's been years since I've played an FPS, and I'm feeling like I'd like to get back in to one. Discounting the big three recent releases due to the fact I don't really have time for multiplayer and want to focus on single player, is there anything on PS4 that stands out? I can see the Metro remasters are very cheap at the moment. A fiver each for Metro Last Light and Metro 2033, or the double back for £7.99. Would you say these games are worth getting for that price? Are they straight up shooters, or is there a slight RPG element to them, as visually they remind me of STALKER on the PC, which I loved back in the day.

As a guide, other FPS games I've enjoyed are Halo, Far Cry 1 and 3, Crysis 1 and 2... I never really loved Half Life as much as other people did, and I'm not a huge fan of the CoD series. Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT : Hmmm, one thing to bear in mind I suppose, I've glanced at a couple of reviews for both Metro games, and it appears the first one is pretty much mostly set in the tunnels underground. I hate tunnels. Not a phobia or anything, I just find underground tunnel levels in games beyond dull. I hated the train tunnel parts of Fallout 3, hated the subway sections in the Arkham games etc. A whole game like that would more than likely do my head in!! Maybe better skipping straight to Last Light...?
skidoosh

Post by skidoosh »

Alex79uk wrote:Morning all! Right, it's been years since I've played an FPS, and I'm feeling like I'd like to get back in to one. Discounting the big three recent releases due to the fact I don't really have time for multiplayer and want to focus on single player, is there anything on PS4 that stands out? I can see the Metro remasters are very cheap at the moment. A fiver each for Metro Last Light and Metro 2033, or the double back for £7.99. Would you say these games are worth getting for that price? Are they straight up shooters, or is there a slight RPG element to them, as visually they remind me of STALKER on the PC, which I loved back in the day.

As a guide, other FPS games I've enjoyed are Halo, Far Cry 1 and 3, Crysis 1 and 2... I never really loved Half Life as much as other people did, and I'm not a huge fan of the CoD series. Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT : Hmmm, one thing to bear in mind I suppose, I've glanced at a couple of reviews for both Metro games, and it appears the first one is pretty much mostly set in the tunnels underground. I hate tunnels. Not a phobia or anything, I just find underground tunnel levels in games beyond dull. I hated the train tunnel parts of Fallout 3, hated the subway sections in the Arkham games etc. A whole game like that would more than likely do my head in!! Maybe better skipping straight to Last Light...?
Please see my GOTY + OSTOTY 2016 tweet: https://twitter.com/skidooshuk/status/8 ... 1893981184 ;) The big ones at the moment like TF2 and Bf1 are good, but short. Doom is about 18-20 hours and re-playable as hell!
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I think both Metro games are a good choice you should totally get them,the gameplay in them switches between fighting humans and monsters,there's light stealth use you can employ you have to use gas masks in some sections and there's no RPG elements but there's an in game economy but it's not something super important. The games kinda follow the story of the russian books by the same name though to be honest the games dont really do justice to the source material,however they perfectly capture the atmosphere and the world which are both great!
Gameplaywise if I had to make a comparison the game is like if Half-Life,MW4 and STALKER had a baby, Metro 2033 though is more "down to earth" I mean bullets matter more and the game is more unforgiving which I really like,it's a really different dynamic where you have to think about every bullet you use and both you and the enemies die in a couple of shots,Last Light is more hollywood but it's more varied gameplaywise and there's some breathtaking moments above ground. Whichever one you like to start is worth it I'd say also if you like STALKER it's by the same devs ;)
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

You should still be able to find 'very Doom' for around £15, and that sounds more like the kind of thing you'd be in to.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Thanks all, ended up grabbing the Metro double pack, and wish-listed Doom for a sub tenner price.

Another quickie - does anyone know if TLOU remaster has the Left Behind DLC on the disc or if it's a code in the box? Just weighing up new/pre-owned choices. Ta!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I believe the only code in the box is for some multiplayer bits and bobs.