Splatoon

Here's where you can arrange game nights and meetups on the platforms of your choice
hazeredmist

Re: Splatoon

Post by hazeredmist »

Same. As soon as the game kicked off my overriding thought was 'if this is compulsory, I'm out'

Thankfully it wasn't. They should make it more obvious though!
Grimsgrams

Post by Grimsgrams »

I think most of us have already added each other by now but if not, I'm Grimsgrams on Wii U if you want to add me on there. Us guys who play Monster Hunter solved our voice chat problem with google hangouts, so if there's any interest in VC there's always a way. Real excited about this game so I hope I'll see you all on friday!
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

I'm Seansthomas so will add anyone who sticks there tag here when online next. Thanks!
RobC

Post by RobC »

I'll be picking this up but won't be able to play until after the weekend unfortunately. My ID is RobCrossland , would love a few C&R games.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Put it in the disc drive last night but am so addicted to Super Metroid, I played that instead. Will give it a blast on Sunday night though.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

So I've been playing the game today and it's great. Some new maps add some nice variety. They seem to have a lot more verticality than the ones in the demo. The single player is pretty great too. I've done the first two worlds so far. There's a bunch of really inventive ideas, and the bosses are really fun. The secret bonus stuff you unlock is pretty cool though. They put an oddly deep level of backstory to this game, relative to the premise anyway. It's really intriguing. I want to collect everything so I can learn all the stuff they have hidden away under the surface.

But, is it just me, or have they massively nerfed the paint roller? Playing the demo, I had loads of success with it. Now I'm really having trouble with it. Struggling to get far above 500 points per match, and I think I've lost every time I've used it as well. Maybe it's because of the verticality of the maps, but that doesn't seem like it could explain how much worse it feels. Maybe people have gotten wise to the tactics you need to combat it, but again, I don't think that would explain it either. Most people playing the game now probably didn't play the demo, and even if they did, can people have really become this effective against it this quickly?

It's a little disappointing, honestly. I really liked it in the demo. So I've been sticking to the Splattershot Jr. for most matches. I'm still good with that. Consistently 1000+ points per round, usually winning. Eh, hopefully I'll unlock some more good stuff later. I'm level 6 right now, so next level I unlock the second roller. Hopefully that'll be better.

I've also found just hanging around Inkopolis is pretty fun. Just seeing all the Miiverse posts that pop up, and seeing all the squids hanging out.
Cress1968

Post by Cress1968 »

Picked this up for kids today ( well that's what I told the wife) feel free to add me for a few games :) gamer tag on wiiu is lemons ( don't ask it was the kids set it up lol)
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Really loving the single player. Have read its pretty short so pacing myself on it but feels like a very different game to the multiplayer at times. Uses different skills you don't really need to utilise online and also a few interactive items like the sponges and fountains. Hope DLC or future maps are coming which use them and have more vertical levels. Would also be interested in themed Nintendo levels (Hyrule field maybe with a huge communal hub to attack each other in).

Up to level 5 on multiplayer and didn't find the limited maps a problem or the lack of voice chat. Generally was so fun I just didn't notice. Also love the ability to swiftly adjust your aim using the tilt controls. Surprised almost every review says to turn that off as I think its really good and has allayed my fears over Starfox.

Doesn't feel like there is enough content included though for a full price game. I know updates are coming, but will people still be playing it in 3 months time with what we have? Time will tell... It'll either be a great move to pace it and like Minecraft or Mario Kart, it'll grow into its own skin or else it'll be a ghost town by summer.

Really glad I bought it though, great fun and just mechanically joyous to play.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

seansthomas wrote:Doesn't feel like there is enough content included though for a full price game.
Well that seems fair enough given that it's available for £25-£35, when full price is £50-£60.
:)
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

True, I'm more than happy with what I got for my preordered £23!

Pretty sure I read that its $50-60 in the States / Canada however and more like £36 in Game.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Its RP is £35 and that's what you pay on the eStore (discounts excepted), but online stores are generally selling it for £25 to £34. It's a price which acknowledges a lack of content I think.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

That seems fair to me. Especially with more content to come. Nintendo need this to be a hit, more for the long term kudos of supporting a new team and IP rather than financially I suspect.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far anyhow.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

BTW, has anyone found a way to change your weapon in between matches or do you always have to quit out? Seems vaguely antiquated, so fully expect it to be the only option available...
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

seansthomas wrote:BTW, has anyone found a way to change your weapon in between matches or do you always have to quit out? Seems vaguely antiquated, so fully expect it to be the only option available...
I don't have the game but have seen people saying that this (unsurprisingly) has the same rather unfriendly set-up in this regard as MK8. So yeah. :roll:
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

seansthomas wrote:BTW, has anyone found a way to change your weapon in between matches or do you always have to quit out? Seems vaguely antiquated, so fully expect it to be the only option available...
You have to quit, but you don't have to go too far. If you press Start/+ in the lobby menu you can go to the equip screen.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Thanks, yeah that's the quickest way I found too. Thought you could just do it inbetween matches on the demo but maybe not... Hope its an update coming soon.

Speaking of which, an interesting looking map and a new weapon based on the NES Zapper coming tonight!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Ranked play should be unlocked now as well, they were holding that back until a certain number of players had hit level 10 (probably to make sure the games would be populated).

That's meant to have new game modes in it at some point, not sure if those are there yet though.

The US tumblr account for the game is worth keeping an eye on for news.
Grimsgrams

Splatoon

Post by Grimsgrams »

What's interesting is that there was no patch to download, meaning that the new map was already on the disc. Perhaps that's the case with most of the maps and weapons they'll be rolling out? If so, it would seem that this whole thing is a deliberate move rather than a case of them not being done with the game on time.

I tried splat zones but I don't think I'm very good at it. I usually do well for my team in turf wars, but out of a decent number of splat zones matches I've only been on the winning team in one of them. The fact that the losing team gets no reward whatsoever certainly doesn't help. Perhaps splat zones requires you to play the game more like a normal shooter, since you really need to keep the enemy away from the zone(s).

Anyways, still enjoying the game, working towards level 15 at the moment. Still haven't decided on motion controls on or off, although I'm leaning towards 'off' with sensitivity set to -3.5. Hope they allow you to set the vertical and horizontal sensitivity individually at some point, and that they implement some sort of aim acceleration so stick aiming gets more precise.
I try to join you all when I see you online, and I've had some of you join me as well but I'm really looking forward to the matchmaking update in august so we can play together for real, so to speak.
RobC

Post by RobC »

seansthomas wrote:Thanks, yeah that's the quickest way I found too. Thought you could just do it inbetween matches on the demo but maybe not... Hope its an update coming soon.

Speaking of which, an interesting looking map and a new weapon based on the NES Zapper coming tonight!
I think there is some balancing done in matchmaking with regards to the spread of weapons, so maybe it's intentional that you can't switch between gear without leaving the game first?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The Splat Zones rules turn it into an almost entirely different game. Weapons that seem pretty useless in the normal Turf Wars mode come into their own here, and vice versa. Be aware that the maps are subtly changed, some partition walls have moved and areas where there wasn't a grate to walk between them now have one.

It seems very hard to raise your rank though. 20 points for a win and -10 for a loss, and its really hard to consistently win multiple games in a row.

The new map is a little basic in layout, but it has lots more sight lines to cover than the other maps do (and some moving elements for variety)

I think I like this 'timed release' aspect to the content (is it me, or does the UI look like it's been design to cope with having three maps live at the same time rather than the current 2?)