Videogame Podcast Recommendations

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
andrewbcalculating

Re: Videogame podcast recommendations

Post by andrewbcalculating »

Chet & John's Finite Playlist is a wonderful podcast. It has a unique format and if on the odd occasion that they do say something funny, they don't dwell on it.

Gameburst is a firm favourite in my listening schedule. I remember sending them an email telling them how good they were after they were recommended on the Digital Cowboys.

Speaking of which, I bet Digital Gonzo is as well researched, produced and presented as the Digital Cowboys was but as it covers more than just video games I would only dip in and out which wouldn't be fair on Alex.

I tried Joypod but to be honest, I found it too zaney for my liking.

I used to listen to the Videogamer: Back on Topic podcast until they changed the format and started regularly going off topic. I recently noticed that Videogamer had another new podcast on the go so I decided to give the first episode a go. Everything was going well until an hour in and then they started talking about sex offenders at which point it lost all credibility for me.

I'm not a prude but I listen to video game podcasts to hear about video games, not something unrelated.

I will have a look through the recommendations, thank you. If anyone has any more then please add them here.

If I could give a recommendation, I would say give a listen to the God is a Geek podcast. It could do with being a bit tighter in the presentation and editing but they concentrate on video games.

|<o>|
Sean

Re: Video Game Podcast Recommendations

Post by Sean »

I've recently started listening to Player One Podcast, featuring Mik from these forums.

Really liking this show a lot.
mik

Post by mik »

*kiss*

:P
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

Sean wrote:I've recently started listening to Player One Podcast, featuring Mik from these forums.

Really liking this show a lot.
Wow I didn't know Mik had a new show.

Subscribes!
mik

Post by mik »

It's an oooooooooooold show. They've been doing it since 2006. They're a trio of ex-EGM editors. I only joined a little over a year ago.
Ghost World

Post by Ghost World »

mik wrote:It's an oooooooooooold show. They've been doing it since 2006. They're a trio of ex-EGM editors. I only joined a little over a year ago.
Ah I thought the name sounded familiar, You still reviewing games now that 1up has imploded.
mik

Post by mik »

Nope. I haven't had any work from them since Thierry Nguyen left ages ago.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

You guys weren't wrong about Chet and Jon, best new addition to my podcast library this year! Thanks for the suggestion :D
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

just started listening to Gameburst thanks to this thread and am really enjoying it, cheers guys. Nice to get a good bite sized podcast.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Digital Gonzo is a personal favourite, although it covers movies, comics and other stuff as well as games. Pocket Gamer is a good one for iPhone / iPad gaming too. Also I listen to the official Playststion and Nintendo magazine podcasts which are both good.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

mikeleddy83 wrote:You guys weren't wrong about Chet and Jon, best new addition to my podcast library this year! Thanks for the suggestion :D
agreed. Just started listening to this and it's bloody great - the discussion of the flying dead and the unwashed boys in CEX had me laughing :lol:
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

Dante Fireseed wrote:
mikeleddy83 wrote:You guys weren't wrong about Chet and Jon, best new addition to my podcast library this year! Thanks for the suggestion :D
agreed. Just started listening to this and it's bloody great - the discussion of the flying dead and the unwashed boys in CEX had me laughing :lol:
Yeah, Chet & Jon's is ace. Their turn of phrase always makes me chuckle.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

The Same Coin? Good fun British podcast, great bunch of lads

Midlife Gamer - also a great British podcast hosted by a lovely Brummie, been going for years, very entertaining, great community, more a monthly show

Chet & Jon's - to the point, fast paced and no filler, weekly
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Another pimp for Chet & Jon's here, it's brilliant. I only discovered it about a month ago and have been catching up on the lot. Definitely my favourite 'cover all' gaming podcast, and the perfect listening partner to Cane & Rinse's very in depth discussions.
link6616

Post by link6616 »

Let's see gaming podcasts....

Two fat guys talk games: it's a silly podcast featuring the voice of the excellent guilty bits tutorials. Very crass, but often very enjoyable. Stick the more recent episodes as some of the early stuff was kinda awful.

Brainy Gamer podcast is full of wonderful insightful stuff.

The Experience Points podcast, made by two writers of popmatters.com is really good. They usually discuss a single article or news story for 30 minutes.

Ludology podcast is very much about game design, its a tad dry but also really interesting if you like design talk.

Morning Radio: this feed is actually multiple podcasts, the most important being the best podcast on Japanese gaming, Warning a huge podcast. Although the nichiest podcast ever is good too.

I recently ran into S.Lik FM, which I can't comment on much other than thy recently had a wonderful cast with the voice of chie.

Three moves ahead. A strategy game podcast that allows me to enjoy strategy games without playing them,which suits me fine.

While out of date, the backlog of 1up's active time babble and retronauts are certainly good.

The escapist podcast is just a really nice podcast in general.

Gamers with jobs, nothing special barring the fact it's just really good.

Hatchetjob for a while was quite simply the best podcast in the world, especially the various special episodes and interviews. Eventually it became very infrequent and then I also ran into digital gonzo... Which, well, that became tied with it and then surpassed it.

Some other castle: just some game talk that often gets silly.
andrewbcalculating

Post by andrewbcalculating »

I would recommend the Guy Cocker podcast:

http://www.guycocker.com/

In my opinion, Guy was the constant that tried to keep the Gamepsot UK podcast respectable. A couple of months after I stopped listening to that podcast, Gamespot stopped producing it which is when Guy went freelance. I wasn't the only one who couldn't tolerate the Gamespot UK podcast in the end, if you look at the reviews on iTunes for the last couple of months of the duration of that podcast, they go from 5 & 4 star to 1 & 2 star.

Guy's new podcast has different industry guests every week. Guy also usually goes to where his guests are based to record the podcast. Having different contributors each week keeps it sensible as I've noticed that when people who aren't regulars on any podcast appear on a show, they usually like to make a good impression and not act stupid.

|<o>|
manofmanybadaliases

Post by manofmanybadaliases »

it's probably a 'gaming podcast' in the strangest sense of the word but i quite like 'A Life Well Wasted': http://alifewellwasted.com/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is probably the best place to post this :

Genuinely a bit gutted that Chet & Jon's is coming to an end next episode. I'm going to really miss that show.

:(
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Sad to see them go, almost all podcasts seemed to sound tired when it came to the christmas shows but they just about made it through so I'm thankful enough for that.

Still eager to hear the podnight resistrinse when it makes an appearance but until then I'm happy putting the Nights podcast on loop. Hope it convinced you to give the game a good amount of time :)
Grimsgrams

Videogame podcast recommendations

Post by Grimsgrams »

Alex79uk wrote:This is probably the best place to post this :

Genuinely a bit gutted that Chet & Jon's is coming to an end next episode. I'm going to really miss that show.

:(
I'm right there with you, got a kind of panicky feeling when I realised it was happening.