HD remakes / remasters

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
InsrtCoins

Re: HD remakes / remasters

Post by InsrtCoins »

Personally, I really like the remastered editions of games. I only buy the ones that I'm truly interested in replaying. They seem to be making good decisions on which games to polish up. GTA V, Sleeping Dogs, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider... all excellent titles that I'm happy to see with that extra bit of polish. Generally, I only replay them if I have a reason to. Sleeping Dogs I only have on PC and I'd like to play it on the couch with friends. GTA I really wanted to play with the DualShock 4 (and the old version ran a bit slowly).

They aren't quite the jump in quality that the Shadow of the Colossus HD collection was, but they're welcome additions to my collection.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

You see I'm a bloody hypocrite. Genuinely very very excited to play Ultra Street Fighter IV on ps4.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

So am I, especially if it means that people will be playing it again. New arcade stick time again then!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Most PS3 sticks work on PS4.

Sadly no 360 ones work on the XBO because Microsoft.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'm looking forward to kicking some ass with my girl/boy Poison
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Flabyo wrote:Most PS3 sticks work on PS4.

Sadly no 360 ones work on the XBO because Microsoft.
Aye, I don't have a PS3 stick.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

OH AND FINAL FANTASY VII!!!!!!!!!!!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Before anyone gets too excited it's fairly much a straight port by the looks of things, not a significant remastering.
But still.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Its in HD that'll do
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Grim Fandango release date for end of Jan and Day of the Tentacle is also getting a remake for Sony devices! Woohoo!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

ratsoalbion wrote:Before anyone gets too excited it's fairly much a straight port by the looks of things, not a significant remastering.
But still.
If they don't address the terrible localisation, there's no point.

When they ported Final Fantasy Tactics (which is contemporary with FF7) they redid the entire localisation, and it made a whole world of difference.

They need to do this here.
arry_g

Post by arry_g »

Flabyo wrote:
ratsoalbion wrote:Before anyone gets too excited it's fairly much a straight port by the looks of things, not a significant remastering.
But still.
If they don't address the terrible localisation, there's no point.

When they ported Final Fantasy Tactics (which is contemporary with FF7) they redid the entire localisation, and it made a whole world of difference.

They need to do this here.
They won't though, this is just a port of the updated PC port that came out a little while ago.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Alan Wake is being remade apparently. And today I saw that God of War 3 is being worked on. Sleeping Dogs was tenuous but God of War 3? What's next? Lost Planet Remastered?

Sorry but they're taking the piss now. It's about time this generation cut ties with the previous gen or we'll really struggle to see it's full potential.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I agree. Although my twitter feed yesterday after I said that makes me think we're very much in the minority :)

I do get the counter argument that HD remakes of classics allows people to experience great games without having to go seek out old hardware, but there really does seem to be way more of them right now than we've ever had before.

It's exacerbated by so many of the new games being heavily delayed. Went into GAME yesterday to see if there was anything I wanted to get for me XBO and the two new releases this week are both HD remakes of games from the previous generation (albiet one of which never had an EU release, but still).
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Well I imagine gears and uncharted collections are only a matter of making the formal announcement. Theres a few other things I can imagine getting the remaster treatment as well.

I don't mind myself cos an awesome game is still awesome, but I suppose for contrast, by this time in the PS3's life cycle last gen, we had GTA 4, uncharted, ratchet and clank, folklore, MGS 4, and LBP was on the horizon. Kinda weird when you think.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'd be all over some Dizzy the Egg HD remakes.

:D
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015- ... ing-to-ps4

Gravity Rush being remastered for the PS4.

So Gravity Rush 2 was in the works but hasn't been heard of for donkey's, now this. Retreading old ground over and over again. And stick a knife in the Vita while you're at it.

Groan.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I really do love my vita.

I've had it for a year and a half, and I've certainly had my money's worth out of it.
I just find it immensely frustrating that sony continue to hold it at arms length.
They went to the effort of addressing concerns over battery life, and redesigned and relaunched the thing, but the fact that the memory cards are so expensive is just mind boggling.
You can buy a 64gb microsd card for less than £20, but to buy an official sony card from an official sony EU retailer costs around £70, that's just bonkers.
I wouldn't spend £70 on the card, but if I had a 64gb card, I'd have probably sunk much more than £70 over the last year into buying up PS one games.

it's also silly to me that replacement bits for the vita are so hard to come by.
My charger has broken (the wee little black box for any vita owners out there) and I can't find anywhere to buy a replacement, it's like the thing just doesn't exist. I was forced into buying a shitty "Game" knock off charger, which when plugged in, disables the touch-screen. I cringe at how badly fitting the charging plug is too, but unless I call up sony and give them my house ant he shirt off my back, they don't really seem to care.
I wish that sony showed the passion for the vita, that Nintendo seem to be pouring over the 3ds.
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

As a convert to playstation and having never played a game from the franchise, I would be Intrested in playing a God of War game. would I me missing anything from Starting on the 3rd game? or should I wiat till PS now has 1 & 2 on its service first?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The plot, such as it is, gets a bit of a recap in the opening sequence of 3. But the story itself was never a major part of it. There's some flashback stuff in 3 as well I think that means more if you've played the earlier games, but it's not essential.

I'd say play the earlier ones anyway if you can, they're all pretty good games.