Ghost of Tsushima

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Ghost of Tsushima

Post by DomsBeard »

Preordered at Game looking forward to it. I've avoided all trailers and know nothing if the story.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Exactly what I was expecting and looking forward to after TLOU2. Low-stress power fantasy sublime gawping. Perfick!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Stanshall wrote: July 14th, 2020, 8:34 pm Exactly what I was expecting and looking forward to after TLOU2. Low-stress power fantasy sublime gawping. Perfick!
Yeah me too
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah it seems to be reviewing pretty well, looks like that Guardian review was a bit of an exception.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Every photo mode snap I've seen looks gorgeous, and the exploration has been described as serene. Games like this where I can roam about taking snaps are very much my jam. There's something very relaxing about sitting down with a game and thinking, I'm just going to head over to that town I ran through once, admire all the detail that's gone into it and photograph it. I'll definitely pick this up at some point.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

About 8 or so hours in and suffice to say, I'm having a real blast with this game. It's pretty much almost everything I was hoping it to be.

No idea how long I'm gonna spend in this world but I've barely dented the map so far but there's always something going on in it so I'm guessing 40/50 hours for the initial playthrough.

The photomode is something else too!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I am nicely surprised that it's better than I expected. It is very much AC: Odyssey - Samurai Edition, but the combat is significantly better, enemies are vulnerable but tough, and there are a number of QoL improvements plus a much tidier HUD system. I find it extremely relaxing, as well. The combination of scenery, ambient sound and music really soothes me.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I was in when
Spoiler: show
It did the stealth tutorial and he says "nope not doing that dishonorable rubbish". Imagine it'll change but it did tickle me
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

This does feel more soothing to just explore the world in than, say, Odyssey or Horizon. Just wandering about finding the shrines, Fox dens, hot springs etc... It’s not *quite* as chill as exploring Breath of the Wild, but it has a lot of that same melancholic vibe to it.

I also really like the way it points you to the side quests. You organically hear rumours about them from chatting to the people you come across in towns, or rescue from bandits and so on.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 9:32 am This does feel more soothing to just explore the world in than, say, Odyssey or Horizon. Just wandering about finding the shrines, Fox dens, hot springs etc... It’s not *quite* as chill as exploring Breath of the Wild, but it has a lot of that same melancholic vibe to it.
I can't remember if you played RDR2 or not, but if you did, how does just exploring the world compare to that, if at all?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I feel like I'm always walking through tar on RDR2 compared to this.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I gave up on RDR2 after a couple of days, it demands way too much of me with its finicky controls and extremely wonky combat.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

If I had to compare just the worlds themselves, then I'd say that RDR2's world is the more detailed environment and has more things going on and to do within it. Tsushima's reminds me perhaps more of Bend's Days Gone in the way it's been laid out, none of which is in any way a criticism because I'm absolutely loving the time I'm spending in it and being swept along with the story and missions.