Videogame Podcast Recommendations

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Videogame podcast recommendations

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah I'm gutted but you cannot argue with their reasons for giving it up. So what would you recommend for me to listen to?. Cane And Rinse is my only Videogame podcast now, Not a fan of Midnight Resistance.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I'm on the lookout now, with Chet & Jons suddenly ending. I listen to podcasts almost constantly - in bed, in the car, in the bath. I need a lot!

Aside from other podcasts, in terms of gaming all I have subscribed at the moment is Cane & Rinse and Midnight Resistance, would like to add one or two others.

Used to love the Gamespot podcast back in the Phil Elliot / Guy Cocker days but it's long gone south sadly. Might try Giant Bombcast
Beck

Post by Beck »

Guy Cocker went on to do his own podcast called Guy Cockers Video Games Podcast. I haven't had an update on my RSS feed from it since October but there are a good 40 podcasts that are mainly interviews:)
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Tried it, couldn't really get into it. To be honest I preferred him as a sidekick to Phil Elliot.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Yeah it was a real shock to find Chet and Jon's is ending. It's so sudden. One of my favourite podcasts too. It's understandable though, hearing their reasoning behind it.

A while ago they also experimented with cutting the show down to two lists of five games, rather than ten. I imagine that was probably connected to the reasons why they decided to end the show. It's a bit strange they didn't stick with the "top five" version, considering how the show always ended up running way longer than it was supposed to. I remember them talking about it when they decided to change the format. They said originally, the show was supposed to be short (thus the "Reassuringly Finite" namesake), but they always ended up saying more than they intended to. So what was supposed to be a 40 minute show always ended up being more like 2 hours or more. Maybe if they stuck with the shorter format they might have decided to keep going. Oh well, who knows?

If I was to recommend something that could fill the void left by Chet and Jon's (that sounds wrong in several ways) I suppose I could draw people's attention to a show I've started listening to lately called "Taking Turns". It follows a similar format, of two guys talking about what they've been playing lately, taking turns and going through a list each, with casual but intelligent conversation. It's hosted by Nick Robinson, who was one of the last few people left at the Rev3 Games Youtube channel when that finally closed down, along with his friend who also does some game-related Internet stuff that I haven't bothered to check out as of yet. Nick himself has been continuing to do the kind of stuff he did at Rev3 on his personal Youtube channel, so you can get an idea of what he's like there. iTunes podcast link here.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Cheers Scrustle! I'll check that out
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah thanks I'll have a look. I've been listening to old Joypod's lately, really miss that one too.

Just Add Idiots is great, but not really a games podcast at all, Dave Turner has been on it though and is coming up again soon. I like Midnight Resistance, but I always preferred Joypod and Chet & Jon's. I also really miss the official PlayStation magazine podcast. Never bought the mag but the podcast was really good until they just stopped it last year with no warning.

So yeah I'm back on the lookout for something else to listen to other than C&R and Midnight Resistance now.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

"Chat very good" is worth a listen.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Have you checked out Crate and Crowbar?

It is pretty much the people who used to do the PC Gamer UK podcast, but they just get together and have a drink and chat about PC games. But seeing as most stuff is multiplatform these days, don't let that put you off :)

Tom Francis (who made Gunpoint) is often on, and normally has really interesting insights into stuff he plays. Worth a listen back from the start to get to know the people.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

There's a new episode of Joypod out!!

THERE'S A NEW EPISODE OF JOYPOD OUT!!

I'm so excited!

:oops:
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

What the hello there!?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Alex79uk wrote:There's a new episode of Joypod out!!

THERE'S A NEW EPISODE OF JOYPOD OUT!!

I'm so excited!

:oops:
They've still got the magic! Loved it.
andrewbcalculating

Post by andrewbcalculating »

I was gutted when I discovered that Chet & John's was finishing.

As a result, I've spent the last few days sampling a hundred or so podcasts on iTunes trying to find a British video game podcast that isn't needlessly funny or goes off topic.

If you would like to listen to a sensible and intelligent show about video games then I would point your attention to Virtual at Relay FM:

http://www.relay.fm/virtual

|<o>|
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Joypod crew reunite! Sort of.

Dark Calls is a series of Skype calls in which David Turner attempts to guide James Farley through his first play of Dark Souls. They're only up to episode 3, each of which is only about 20 minutes long. If you're a Joypod or Dark Souls fan they're worth a listen. If you loved both, you can't miss them.
richie_in_japan

Re: Videogame Podcast Recommendations

Post by richie_in_japan »

I've followed the Giant Bomb guys since their Gamespot days. Just recently I'm contemplating unsubscribing from the podcast feed, which feels kind of momentous. Too much indulgent talk about non-gaming stuff which used to be fun but now often retreads the same ground.
I think I've found the main reason. Aside from the tragic loss of Ryan, now the Beastcast has launched, it's easy to see how much they miss Vinnie's playfulness. He wants to like games and wants to poke fun in equal measures. I think his enthusiasm was what Jeff bounced off a lot. I'm just glad I can listen to him again.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Found a great podcast - The Rotating Platform. (I thought I already wrote this a few weeks back, but I can't have). It features ex-writers of Nintendo Magazine and current XBox journos. Matthew Castle is on it, if you remember the old ONM podcast. Anyway, great chemistry between the guys, funny and entertaining - definitely recommend it. It's actually had me laughing out loud several times. Wait till you get to the story about Matthew Castle getting stuck on the Discworld game, it's hilarious.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Glad it's not just me. Really struggle to listen to Giant Bombcast very often unless they're talking at length about a game I have any real love for.

Usually spend more time talking about their PC specs and fast food than anything relevant to my interests.

I'm a pretty big fan of Bit Socket. Two Scottish guys just doing silly, puerile features about games which are all very different to other gaming podcasts. If you want informative, relevant chat on current games than probably not for you. If the idea of a feature where you work out if ludicrous plot holes are part of an official games lore though or trying to work out which game characters sound effects have been used to recreate a sex scene, then you'll love it.

As a Wii U owner, I like Nintendo Voice Chat too on IGN. Does a good job of putting out a short, snappy podcast each week when there isn't always a lot to talk about. Really enthusiastic and good hosts too.
OneWingedSeahawk

Post by OneWingedSeahawk »

I don't *think* its been mentioned but 'Moving Pixels' by Pop matters is probably my favourite show with C&R. Does the one game per show thing ala Cane & Rinse and Watch Out for Fireballs!. You have to get it off their site or sound cloud but its quite wonderful. Particular recommendations to their Kentucky Route Zero shows and the Walking Dead episodes but really they're all good.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Great week for podcasts. A new episode of Joypod, and then today a new episode of Chet & Jon's!

Still loving The Rotating Platform (check it out) and also Chat Very Good. Both great. Give them a try.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

The new Chet and Jon episode is really good. Not the same as their usual old format, but they've still got it. They have a chat with some of their friends who aren't so invested in the industry, so it gives something of a fresh perspective, and they also talk about a bunch of Wii games they always talked about getting round to. They said they're also going to put up a video on their Youtube channel of them playing them all at some point.

It made me wish they would come back again, but start doing something along the lines of this new episode instead of the old format, which was obviously starting to wear them out towards the end.