Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
RoboticMonk3y

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

The main reason I prefer watching on catch up, is having no fear of accidentally blundering into the "next time on"
Awful! Gives out far too many spoilers.
Those joop ads are pretty bad too
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

They certainly are. True Detective has certainly got its hooks into me, so much I noticed the writer has a novel called Galveston. Wondering if anyone has read it/thoughts etc.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

24 was bang average sadly, hope it moves up a gear soon. Feel like we've seen it all before and with half the episodes hmmmmm.

Anyway who are the most stupid, the FBI in the following or the CIA in 24?
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I've only seen the first episode of 24, and I know what you mean, it was just like it had never been away. Still, I can't deny that I enjoyed it; Kiefer Sutherland is still brilliant, and I have a lot of nostalgia for the style of the show (the clock beeps still give me goosebumps). I wasn't really expecting any drastic departures anyway, given that most of the creative team from the show have returned.

On a tangent, I've had to stop watching Agents of Shield since the last episode I saw gave away some pretty big spoilers for Captain America 2 (which I'm yet to see). I wonder if this is a tactic by the Marvel guys to get people into cinemas sooner to see their films; a lot of big cinema distribution deals see the film companies earn more early on in a film's cinema run, so this is a clever way of making sure fans HAVE to see their films as soon as they're out.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah I loved hearing those beeps again and Keifer was great. The 2nd episode was the more disappointing than the first.
kappisun

Post by kappisun »

24's like a pair of comfy slippers. U know what yr getting but that's the appeal. Really enjoyed it, to be honest if they rebooted it people wouldn't be happy.
Just sit back and enjoy I say
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The Amazing Spiderman 2 is very good. Garfield is a brilliant Peter Parker. Post credits scene isn't worth waiting for though it's just a random 2 minute clip from the new xmen film that has no context whatsoever
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

DomsBeard wrote:The Amazing Spiderman 2 is very good. Garfield is a brilliant Peter Parker. Post credits scene isn't worth waiting for though it's just a random 2 minute clip from the new xmen film that has no context whatsoever
There is a story behind why a Clip from Fox film is being showen at the end of a Sony film with no context.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Yeah I found that out just now, ridiculous
Electric Crocosaurus

I've seen a lot of reviews for the Amazing Spider-Man 2 that have said it was good to average, but I have to admit that I really took against it. Marc Webb's, and the writers', interpretation of this story just isn't working for me. I'll admit that I wasn't quite ready to step away from Sam Raimi's version (I would have loved to see his Vulture-led Spider-Man 4), but I've found the tone of the re-booted universe to be all over the place. The over-arching conspiracy stuff with Peter's Dad is both difficult for me to care about and also far too convenient. The story of 2 is packed with event but very little plot, the design varies a lot in quality (the Rhino suit is just embarrassing) and there's yet to be a stand-out action sequence across either film.

The shining light has absolutely been Emma Stone; her Gwen Stacey has been the perfect high school girlfriend figure that Kirsten Dunst never quite managed. I like Andrew Garfield a lot, but I can't shake the feeling that he's just too 'cool' for Peter Parker; I can't really believe him as the underdog, even though he's excellent in the suit.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

X Men First Class is first Class!. I've put off watching this after being let down by 3 but I was very impressed. Also best movie cameo ever? I think so
Beck

Post by Beck »

I'm just back from watching Godzilla. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it. I'm really impressed with the trailers not ruining the film, the trailers make you think the film is going in a set direction. The film is completely different and sticks to a much different story. That's how trailers should be done
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Beck wrote:I'm just back from watching Godzilla. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it. I'm really impressed with the trailers not ruining the film, the trailers make you think the film is going in a set direction. The film is completely different and sticks to a much different story. That's how trailers should be done
Thought exactly the same thing, wish more trailers would take this approach as it makes the initial viewing a little more surprising.

I've started watching Penny Dreadful, mainly because I kept seeing chatter about it popping up here and there and figured I'd give it a shot. Whilst there's only been two episodes to date I'm kinda hooked so it's one I'll keep watching. A reasonably good cast and with a vibe and setting that leaves me thinking that the creator, John Logan (Skyfall), is a fan of Alan Moore's comic works since it is reminiscent of his The League of Extraordinary Gentleman and From Hell.

TV drama really seems to be having a real renaissance these days, with both substantial productions and the talent to support them making a shift from the big screen to the small screen.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Really looking forward to Xmen on Friday. Mind you I've not seen The Wolverine from last year. Think it's crucial?
Electric Crocosaurus

Beck wrote:I'm just back from watching Godzilla. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it. I'm really impressed with the trailers not ruining the film, the trailers make you think the film is going in a set direction. The film is completely different and sticks to a much different story. That's how trailers should be done
I enjoyed it too, but I have to admit that I can understand the mixed reviews. The film as a whole is spectacular on a level that few modern blockbusters manage, and to echo a few reviews I've read there is a definite Spielberg vibe to the set-pieces. The things that Gareth Edwards gets right, he really gets right: Godzilla has a lot of personality, the action is well-directed (with more than a few Jurassic Park nods), the opening and closing acts are emotional, suspenseful, engaging... but I do think the film lacks a strong lead, and although you get the pay-off at the end there are a few 'anti-climaxes' that annoyed me in places.

I know what you mean about not having the trailer spoil the film, but I do think there was an issue with mis-selling Godzilla. The trailers suggested a film that would have emphasised the horror element of the story, but that didn't carry over for me in the final film. Again, I really enjoyed it, but I think that disconnect is part of the reason why some people have been disappointed with it.
Beck

Post by Beck »

DomsBeard wrote:Really looking forward to Xmen on Friday. Mind you I've not seen The Wolverine from last year. Think it's crucial?
I'm really looking forward to X-Men as well, First class was a breath of fresh air and although not perfect it made it easier to forget x-men 3.

In regards to the wolverine, there is one part of that film that will carry through to Days of future past that may not be so obvious (see spoilers below). The wolverine was a lot better than origins and is worth a watch, I watched it expecting very little after the terrible origins film but was surprised :)
Spoiler: show
In Wolverine, Wolverine has his adamantium cut off leaving him with his bone claws, I believe the future wolverine will still have bone claws.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Watched 3/4 of The World's End last night. I'd realised I hadn't laughed once throughout and didn't care what happened so switched off. Doesn't even come close to Shaun of the dead or Hot Fuzz.
Electric Crocosaurus

DomsBeard wrote:Watched 3/4 of The World's End last night. I'd realised I hadn't laughed once throughout and didn't care what happened so switched off. Doesn't even come close to Shaun of the dead or Hot Fuzz.
That's a shame. I agree that it isn't as funny as Shaun or Fuzz, but I still think it's a decent watch. Also, if you switched off before the end then you'll have missed the best line of the film (and at least one nod to the other films). I thought World's End was closer in tone to Attack the Block; more of a low-budget sci-fi action film with comedic elements.

Finished off watching the Trip to Italy last night. It's a really odd little programme that's carried through by the banter between Coogan and Brydon, but also tries to show them both up as a bit pathetic. I'm not sure what it's really trying to say, other than expensive food looks nice and Italy is quite pretty when the sun's out, but it's still funny while it says it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Xmen: Days Of Future Average.

Apart from
Spoiler: show
Magneto's prison break
bang average throughout.
Beck

Post by Beck »

Alpha - Street Fighter Assassin's Fist Episode 0: http://youtu.be/NyVO0NLoLWE

I've just watched the street fighter web show on YouTube. It's surprisingly good :)