Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ThirdDrawing

Re: Videogame News

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Looks pretty neat. Am I correct in thinking that the two things on the sides were two separate controllers that people could play together with?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I think you can attach both to a separate piece to make a Pro Controller type deal, or flip them 90 degrees for a NES/Wiimote D-pad controller job for multiplayer. I love how they show in the video that this is pretty much for everyone. Insomniac loner with a dog, socially well-adjusted woman, hardcore e-sports nerd, casual EA man, it's so inclusive. I love the name and the satisfying clicks. Bravo.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

As far as Red Dead goes... that was a lot of build up for not very much...

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Gorgeous though!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Red Dead looks pretty much as you imagine, higher res version of the original game. Like the leap from GTA4 to PS4 GTAV. Nice forest scene and steam.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Stanshall wrote:I think you can attach both to a separate piece to make a Pro Controller type deal, or flip them 90 degrees for a NES/Wiimote D-pad controller job for multiplayer.

That's what it looked like to me. Good idea, as long as you don't lose them!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I think Nintendo Switch won trailer of the day :D
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

http://gematsu.com/2016/10/silver-case- ... early-2017

Silver Case (which just got a PC release) is coming to PS4 from NIS.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'll be buying it, if only to encourage Suda to bring his other games updated to the system.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

GAME behaving like idiots shocker:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... station-vr

:|
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:GAME behaving like idiots shocker:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... station-vr

:|
I do see both sides to this. On one hand I think that it feels like a bit of a dick move on the part of GAME (helped no end by the UK games media portraying it as such) and quite possibly will do more to discourage people from trying it out. On the other, I appreciate that setting up a demo area in a store means that they are reducing space for other products, which could be argued that it could mean a slight loss in revenue for them. In addition, there would undoubtedly be a cost incurred for setting up the equipment too and seeing that GAME isn't in such a strong position financially that it could happily write off the cost of setting it all up across many of their stores, it makes sense for them to attempt to recoup some of the cost.

Also, if these demos were free, there would most likely be swarms of teenagers wanting to put their greasy little mitts all over them with zero intention of an actual purchase, so it also acts to mitigate such an issue.

All in all, I think it's less of a dick move and just common sense - the only issue is perhaps the actual length of the demo? It also appears that Sony signed off on them being able to do this, my guess for them doing so being that it just simply shifted the cost of the promotion from them to GAME.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Yeah, I completely agree. They'd end up essentially paying a member of staff to babysit a vast majority of customers with virtually no interest in buying, lest they throw up or damage the headset in some way. Meanwhile, anyone with a genuine interest to buy would presumably not bother to wait in line and just go elsewhere. It seems quite sensible to me, actually.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Indeed, and they deduct the cost of the demo from the price of the PSVR if you decide to put your money down for it after the demo has concluded.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

JaySevenZero wrote:Indeed, and they deduct the cost of the demo from the price of the PSVR if you decide to put your money down for it after the demo has concluded.
They only do that if you buy there and then - if you walk out of the store and come back the next day to buy you're shit out of luck.

I agree with some of what you're saying in principle and them covering the cost of manning and setting up the demo station makes sense to a certain extent, but what they're charging for the demo vs the actual cost to GAME of running this operation is by no means equal. This is not being priced as a cost-covering exercise, but a profit making one. So they're making a profit out of people wanting to try out a product, which if they buy GAME will make even more profit on. It's about as far away from a consumer-first mindset as you can possibly get. Plus knowing how this kind of thing generally works from my job, Sony will likely have covered some of the cost of this (and will probably be taking a slice of the profit as well!). Also If you wanted to deter hordes of kids from playing VR for nothing for hours on end, then take a £5 deposit before each demo and give it back at the end. That would pretty much do the same job.

You don't see brands in any other sector operating this way. If you're a company with a new product, you pay promo staff and a promo company to go out on the streets and into stores to offer it for people to try. For free. To launch something and then ask people to pay you to even try it is just incredibly backwards thinking, and I think letting GAME (and Sony, who know all about this) off with the "they're covering their costs" argument is being very generous.....
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I get it, keep out the riff raff looking to kill some time, especially as it is school holidays this week, but prebooked appointments would have done that. I'm not sure I'd like to try it in that kind of environment anyway, and I wonder how much sales pressure there is. Game have taken an odd stance on the whole thing really. There wasn't a single promo display or poster for PSVR in my local store before release. I made a point of looking for one since it seemed odd there wasn't a display at the entrance or in the windows when they were hyping the slim xbox in the week before the VR launch. Bizarre.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/21/13357 ... ion-disney

I don't have strong opinions on the voice actor strike one way or the other, but at what stage in production does the voice acting usually get finished?

For example, if there's a game that is due to come out in February, would it be affected by the strike? I'm, uh, asking for a friend...

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It depends who the publisher is working with to do their casting etc...

The strike isn't against all game companies, just those that refuse to negotiate their position with the union. It also only applies to games that began production after Feb 2016.

But yes, there's a fair chance the localisation of Persona 5 could be affected by the strike.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

You guys seen this?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/ ... 4-ps-vita/

I'm a bit torn, to be honest. I'll definitely buy it to show my support and am very glad that the franchise is still gathering some attention. The more people have the possibility to play these fantastic games, the better. I'm also rather curious to see the improvements they've made on 999 for myself. But on the other hand, and without going into too many details, I absolutely, positively believe that if there is one game which needs to be experienced on a specific platform, it's 999 on the DS. So I very much doubt it'll be the definitive version they're trying to sell it as.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

It's good to see games like 999 getting a wider release, and potentially a wider audience. I did some Japanese language classes this year, and playing through Virtues Last Reward on the 3DS with the Japanese voice acting was great. Being able to hear certain phrases within the context of that game, and getting used to the rhythm of the language... an entertaining way to learn. I'm still rubbish at speaking Japanese, but practice, practice, practice.

Yeah, I think the more the merrier with the wider release, and the Vita has VLR anyway. I hope enough people grab it, it's definitely a worthwhile series.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

Thank god this is happening I want to push this series to like half the people I know(I the crew I used to watch LOST with XD) but you wouldnt believe how hard it is to get people to jump into a series stuck on different handhelds,so them coming out on other formats is everything I wanted. That being said this is a bit of a fumble I think,It should've come out before Zero Time Dillemma not after,it's just gonna confuse people now especially since ZTD wont be included in this collection I dont think,it's great news but I think folks at sales fucked up but them again what do I know :roll: