Videogame News

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ThirdDrawing

Re: Videogame News

Post by ThirdDrawing »

I .... might double dip for this. I played 999 when it came out and really, really enjoyed it.

Strange it's only coming with 2 of the 3 games though.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote:Daytonaaaaaaaaaaa! :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... the-arcade
I shall second that: Daytooooooooooonnnnnnnaaaaaa!!! :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

No Man's Sky patch 1.1 has been released, and it looks like a pretty substantial update: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/foundation-update/
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Jade Empire seems to have snuck out to Android with little or no fanfare. I never got around to playing this on the original Xbox, despite owning it on disc. Might give it a look. Seems a pretty random choice to put out though, I don't remember it being massively successful in the first place, in terms of sales. I just wish they'd put KOTOR 1 and 2 remastered on the PSN.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

My brain can't cope with the idea of a Bioware RPG on a phone. MADNESS!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KOTOR worked fantastic on phone. It's only a matter of time before we see Mass Effect on them, I think.
Joshihatsumitsu

I'm getting anxiety just thinking about how flat my phone battery would be after a Bioware gaming session... :|
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Rumours that Capcom are going to announce Marvel vs Capcom 4 soon are starting to go from 'wishful thinking' to 'looking reasonably likely to be at the PlayStation experience this weekend'.

The most solid ones seem to be saying that on the Marvel side the mandate is to base it around the Cinematic Universe version of the characters.

That makes a lot of sense from a business perspective, the MCU has far more mind share with the general public than the comics do, but it does rule out a LOT of fan favourite characters. Anything to do with either the X-Men or Fantastic Four will be gone. No Wolverine, Doom, Magneto or Sentinel. Be a very weird MVC game with none of those guys in it.

On the other side, it does open up the chance to put in Black Widow, Wasp, Captain Marvel, Gamora, Nebula and so on... (there's no way they won't have all the Guardians of the Galaxy in this.)

Tone is going to be hard though. The MCU isn't as light hearted and silly as even the darkest Street Fighter games. What would the SF5 cast look like in the super desaturated colour palette of the MCU?
Joshihatsumitsu

There's not really much I can add to this news: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/12/u ... le-player/

:roll:
Joshihatsumitsu

A question not really worthy of a new forum thread: the recent release of the Assassin's Creed is not reviewing well... is anyone genuinely surprised? Is anyone actually emotionally attached to the storyline in this series? Does anyone care?
Spoiler: show
I could care less... but I'm curious. Others might.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I'm one of the few people that found the precursor / Desmond bits mildly entertaining, but since then the present day scenario stuff has been weak apart from when Danny Wallace is talking. The games have definitely skewed more towards sticking in the past in recent years.

The movie was always going to find it difficult to explain the scope of what the Animus is, and the ages spanning conflict. I get the impression they've tried to cram in so much it's a crazy exposition fest without much plot.
Joshihatsumitsu

Flabyo wrote:I'm one of the few people that found the precursor / Desmond bits mildly entertaining, but since then the present day scenario stuff has been weak apart from when Danny Wallace is talking. The games have definitely skewed more towards sticking in the past in recent years.

The movie was always going to find it difficult to explain the scope of what the Animus is, and the ages spanning conflict. I get the impression they've tried to cram in so much it's a crazy exposition fest without much plot.
This is the armchair critic/editor in me talking, but I really wished the Assassin's Creed games had dropped the whole sci-fi nonsense entirely, starting from the first game. Being an assassin in the Middle East (which looking at Aleppo in Syria now makes me wish more games would "document" those parts of the world) during the Crusades is interesting enough, and would have been very one of a kind. The modern day/Animus/conspiracy nonsense distracts from what could have genuinely been something special and unique. The editor in me say's cut that out completely, and focus the story.

But that was way back in 2007, and many, many sequels later, 'tis a bit too late to correct course on that!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The present day stuff was definitely stronger when they had the optional ARG style elements in there. Whoever was doing those was great, but they dried up before we got to Connor sadly.
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I also liked the whole future plot thing,yeah it was pretty stupid,especially when aliens started to show up and talk, but I kinda of like the whole conspiracy angle because it's something that strechs for hundreds of years. The problem I have with it is that I never felt it lived up to it's potential,we never get a clear progression between games of how the Templars end up winning on the present, I also I love how the conspiracy thing was unveiled like a puzzle and my wish was that the "present" sections would kinda become these puzzle and adventure sections where you could figure stuff out by what you see in the past,that would've been cool, but they just ended up doing the dumb 2012 thing and those sections became more dumb because you werent unveiling a conspiracy you were just being logged out to talk about how the world was gonna end or something.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It didn't help that they went down the path of 'all the interesting side stuff is in comics that you probably won't ever read' too.

There are characters that turn up in the final part of the Desmond arc (for example, Cross) who have no introduction or character growth because they come from the comics. (which is also where you discover why in the present day the Assassin's are massively reduced in number).
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The long build up of potential alien presence in Elite Dangerous reached its next level last night.

First contact has been made. And it looked bloody terrifying.

The next 'season' looks like being a good one :)
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

When the inevitable day comes that my wife and employer see through the ruse and ditch me for the charlatan that I am, I will have the time to lose myself in Elite Dangerous and be part of all this fascinating stuff :roll:
macstat

Post by macstat »

I saw video of that encounter, it was pretty cool. I think i have to reinstall it, especially since i have access to VR headset which pairs very well with that game :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

PewDiePie axed by Disney after anti-semitic 'jokes'. What a twat. :/

http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... urce=drive