The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Leave us feedback and offer us your own submissions.
User avatar
Gingertastic01
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Gingertastic01 » January 11th, 2019, 1:24 pm

Plok (snes)

I can remember playing this game a lot back in the day, actually don’t know if I ever finished it. Not sure how it holds up now but the soundtrack sure does, it features many great tracks from Sound of Play favorites Tim Follin and Geoff Follin.

The track I have picked out is titled Beach



Enjoy

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by duskvstweak » January 16th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Altar of Echoes from Alwa's Awakening by Robert Kreese



Alwa's Awakening is not...a perfect game. It's an indie title inspired by the platforming adventures of the NES and it nails that tone, to it's own detriment at times. I'd recommend it to fans of the genre because it's a charming title but it's not for those who don't want to die often and painfully.

The soundtrack throughout is fun but this is the only track that stood out to me. Like most great platformers, the final boss isn't a character, but a dungeon that requires you to use every skill you've learned along the way. The design of the the last dungeon is reverent and somber and the music matches that well. It's also a rather peaceful track to go along with some of the toughest platform bits of the game.

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by duskvstweak » January 16th, 2019, 11:59 pm

Rabanastre Lowtown from Final Fantasy XII by Hitoshi Sakimoto



Final Fantasy XII has a interesting soundtrack. It never reaches the highs of previous games, but it's also trying something different, matching the MMO nature of the game itself. While this left me underwhelmed as a whole, there were some great moments.

Rabanastre Lowtown is one of the few tracks that had me returning to the area just for the music. It's got some great beats, you can clap along with it, and it balances being atmospheric and a little bit goofy. What I also like about it is that if feels like it could go with any of the previous Final Fantasy games, making the departure of Nobuo Uematsu a little easier to bear.

User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 2707
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 8:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Flabyo » January 17th, 2019, 7:41 am

Sakimoto as composer for 12 was part of the attempt to make it ‘fit’ with the other games set in Ivalice that also had Sakimoto as composer (FFT and Vagrant Story). To the point where unless you know the three games well, you might not easily be able to tell which of the three games any given track was actually from.

User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by duskvstweak » January 17th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Flabyo wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:41 am
Sakimoto as composer for 12 was part of the attempt to make it ‘fit’ with the other games set in Ivalice that also had Sakimoto as composer (FFT and Vagrant Story). To the point where unless you know the three games well, you might not easily be able to tell which of the three games any given track was actually from.
Interesting. I didn't know that. It's been more than a decade since I played Tactics and I never tackled Vagrant Story. I suppose I would have gotten more out of 12's soundtrack if I had been aware of this?

User avatar
ReprobateGamer
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: February 11th, 2017, 12:35 pm
Contact:

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by ReprobateGamer » January 17th, 2019, 4:40 pm

not certain if this is the correct thread for this but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea where to get the music from the recent special operations from Ghost Recon Wildlands?

I'm particularly interested in getting the music that played in the background during the helicopter escape section in Special Operations 3 (the future recon tie-in) ... the game itself ahs a bit too much audio over it (people talking, enemies exploding, that kind of thing). I can probably replay it and grab it somehow but if there is a clean version available somewhere ...

User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 2707
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 8:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Flabyo » January 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm

duskvstweak wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 3:52 pm
Flabyo wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:41 am
Sakimoto as composer for 12 was part of the attempt to make it ‘fit’ with the other games set in Ivalice that also had Sakimoto as composer (FFT and Vagrant Story). To the point where unless you know the three games well, you might not easily be able to tell which of the three games any given track was actually from.
Interesting. I didn't know that. It's been more than a decade since I played Tactics and I never tackled Vagrant Story. I suppose I would have gotten more out of 12's soundtrack if I had been aware of this?
Maybe. There are no direct theme reuses, it’s more that Sakimoto has a style and instrumentation choice he doesn’t really vary much. See what you think:

(I’ll stick them behind a spoiler, these aren’t requests for the show as such)
Spoiler: show



User avatar
Flabyo
Member
Posts: 2707
Joined: August 8th, 2013, 8:46 am
Location: Guildford

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Flabyo » January 17th, 2019, 5:28 pm

I have a bunch of ‘12 minute long pieces that I was saving till I guest on the show again some day’, one of which is ‘Climax of the Greylands Incident’, which is the most Sakimoto thing to have ever been burned to disc. It touches pretty much every one of his signature style tropes.

So while we’re on Sakimoto anyway, let’s throw that in there...


User avatar
duskvstweak
Member
Posts: 302
Joined: August 23rd, 2017, 6:40 pm
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by duskvstweak » January 17th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Flabyo wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm
duskvstweak wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 3:52 pm
Flabyo wrote:
January 17th, 2019, 7:41 am
Sakimoto as composer for 12 was part of the attempt to make it ‘fit’ with the other games set in Ivalice that also had Sakimoto as composer (FFT and Vagrant Story). To the point where unless you know the three games well, you might not easily be able to tell which of the three games any given track was actually from.
Interesting. I didn't know that. It's been more than a decade since I played Tactics and I never tackled Vagrant Story. I suppose I would have gotten more out of 12's soundtrack if I had been aware of this?
Maybe. There are no direct theme reuses, it’s more that Sakimoto has a style and instrumentation choice he doesn’t really vary much. See what you think:

(I’ll stick them behind a spoiler, these aren’t requests for the show as such)
Spoiler: show


I totally hear the Final Fantasy Tactics in the Giza Plains now!

Simonsloth
Member
Posts: 666
Joined: November 22nd, 2017, 7:17 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Simonsloth » January 17th, 2019, 7:56 pm



Possibly a redundant selection as I hope it’ll be featured on the podcast for the game but if you ever do an elevator music or jazz special I’d love this to be included. So smarmy and slinky

User avatar
Gingertastic01
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Gingertastic01 » January 18th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Would like to request a track from a more recent game, Planet Alpha. Was hoping this game would scratch my ‘Another World’ / ‘Flashback itch but it unfortunately comes up a bit short. Some clunky controls and some frustrating design choices takeaway from some great Sci-Fi visuals and sound.

The track I would like to share is called “Sky gate” which kicks in at a significant part in the story leaving a lasting impression on me and my opinion of the game.



Cheers

User avatar
ColinAlonso
Member
Posts: 208
Joined: September 6th, 2016, 9:13 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by ColinAlonso » January 20th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Pac Jump Up! by Akitaka Tohyama (aka AJURIKA) is a loud, thumping, in your face electronic tune and a great fit for the neon lights and breakneck speed of Pac-Man Championship Edition 2.

User avatar
Mr Ixolite
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: April 10th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Re: The videogame music thread (also Sound of Play submissions)

Post by Mr Ixolite » January 21st, 2019, 8:48 pm


Rock It/Pack Attack, from Crash Bandicoot2: Cortex Strikes Back
Composed by Josh Mancell, remixed by AlbirdVampPrince

The first time you see Crash when you boot up his second game he’s greeting you from a Jetpack, looking impossibly cooler than anything in his first adventure. Yet for the majority of the game, said Jetpack is nowhere to be seen. The series would eventually go overboard with gimmicks, but though there were plenty to go around here, the main focus was still on the platforming, as it should be. This means that when you finally got to the zero-platforming Jetpack stages at the games end, they felt all the more impactful. And as far as I’m concerned, they’re still a blast to play. Having completely free movement in all three dimensions felt exhilarating, especially when I was weaving through lasers and electrical wires in an evil space station.
And sometimes I would stop and look at the earth, shown in the far distance through a window, and listen to the music. Not only does the it sounds appropriately space-y, it sounds eerie, beautiful and exciting –it makes a mutated marsupial hunting pink crystals in a jetpack sound like the a grandiose blastoff to humanitys final frontier. It’s a heck of a capper to the adventure, and for me, is the high point of the entire Naughty Dog era Crash soundscape, which is no small feat.

I love both the original and remastered versions of the track for different reasons, though I lack the musical know-how to articulate why. Luckily for me, AlbirdVampPrince on youtube has remixed both into a single track, which, as far as I’m concerned, is the definitive version.



Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest