Grand Theft Auto / GTA Online

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
NokkonWud

Re: All things Grand Theft Auto

Post by NokkonWud »

mikeleddy83 wrote:Looks like there's already a cane and rinse crew, I got a failed ask for invite prompt though:

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/cane_and_rinse
I set it all up when they started with Max Payne 3. :)

I've put the invite back (stupidly there's no "accept/decline" option), you have to request, then I have to ask to invite you, then you have to accept.
I've also promoted both of the Darrens and James to roles where they can also invite people.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Is there a general consensus as to what format we're playing on? :)
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

It'll be 360 for me as I don't have a PS3. Just over a week to go!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

PS Triple for me, once my Gold Live sub runs out I'm not renewing it, so if I do play the multiplayer (which I probably won't), it's PS3.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

AndyKurosaki wrote:PS Triple for me, once my Gold Live sub runs out I'm not renewing it, so if I do play the multiplayer (which I probably won't), it's PS3.
Truth is that I probably won't either but I'm more than up to making the effort this time if you want to give me a shout come October :)
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

The main reason I don't play online with my PS3 much is the massive mandatory updates a game has. My download speed sucks, so once I fire a game up and it says "358mb update", which takes at least a couple of hours or so for me, I go "fuck it" and don't bother. :lol:
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

AndyKurosaki wrote:The main reason I don't play online with my PS3 much is the massive mandatory updates a game has. My download speed sucks, so once I fire a game up and it says "358mb update", which takes at least a couple of hours or so for me, I go "fuck it" and don't bother. :lol:
I find them really quick now on PS3, as quick as Xbox 360 at least.

The reason I don't play online on PS3 is that I can't stand the lack of Party Chat support, which means that you get public chat and you're forever muting new people who join the game. Makes me angry. If I play online on my own on 360 I simply jump into a "Party Lobby" and it stops me from hearing anyone at all in MP, and, if playing with friends, I'm not subjected to morons (except for my moronic friends ;))
Dr Mcfluffin

Post by Dr Mcfluffin »

Ps3 for me :)
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

NokkonWud wrote:If I play online on my own on 360 I simply jump into a "Party Lobby" and it stops me from hearing anyone at all in MP, and, if playing with friends, I'm not subjected to morons
As nice as that is, I feel that party chat has somewhat been the death of gaming communities.
xbox live has a wonderfully handy "mute" feature to filter out the people who irritate or annoy (it's a shame that MS don't really appear to follow up on any of the feedback systems they half-implemented) I picked up a few good friends back in the halo 3 days with game chat.

I'm hoping to save up and get this for the 360, although with buying a house next month, I'm not too sure how long it's going to be before I can actually afford it :S
Beck

Post by Beck »

Congratulations on the new place :grin:
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

RoboticMonk3y wrote:
NokkonWud wrote:If I play online on my own on 360 I simply jump into a "Party Lobby" and it stops me from hearing anyone at all in MP, and, if playing with friends, I'm not subjected to morons
As nice as that is, I feel that party chat has somewhat been the death of gaming communities.
xbox live has a wonderfully handy "mute" feature to filter out the people who irritate or annoy (it's a shame that MS don't really appear to follow up on any of the feedback systems they half-implemented) I picked up a few good friends back in the halo 3 days with game chat.

I'm hoping to save up and get this for the 360, although with buying a house next month, I'm not too sure how long it's going to be before I can actually afford it :S
It depends how I'm feeling, often I'll chirp in, but I also seldom play online on my own, at it's often only if I'm leveling up or watching TV at the same time. Made many great friends over the years.
I've also had the fortune to play with great communities I know from outside gaming for over a decade now, which is a bonus.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

As for the game, I'll be getting it on Xbox 360, my father wants to play it and he won't use the PS3 because of the controller (man hands) and so it makes sense for me to play it on 360. Gives me 2 weeks to decide if I want to double dip to play with several people here.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Right about now is a good time to switch off in order to avoid spoilers, after weeks of fakes I finally spotted a few legitimate 10 second clips of the game with nothing spoiling the experience so far (I intentionally avoided the thumbnails that look like cut scenes) but I can guarantee the big ones will be popping up everywhere over the next few days. Still on the hype train here but I'm switching off immediately, just thought I'd throw the heads up on it.

From what I saw, there are no issues with the 360 build and it looks great as expected.

If you're desperate for the links to the clips drop me a PM but I'm staying away, a map and the soundtrack are good enough to satisfy my appetite.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

mikeleddy83 wrote:Right about now is a good time to switch off in order to avoid spoilers, after weeks of fakes I finally spotted a few legitimate 10 second clips of the game with nothing spoiling the experience so far (I intentionally avoided the thumbnails that look like cut scenes) but I can guarantee the big ones will be popping up everywhere over the next few days. Still on the hype train here but I'm switching off immediately, just thought I'd throw the heads up on it.

From what I saw, there are no issues with the 360 build and it looks great as expected.

If you're desperate for the links to the clips drop me a PM but I'm staying away, a map and the soundtrack are good enough to satisfy my appetite.
I'm the same, I stay away from anything and everything. I'll throw mute words into Twitter so I don't even hear talk of the game until I'm gone. I'm not switching off though, the only time I do that is around console releases and even then I wont be unreachable, I'll just reserve conversation for chat.
InsrtCoins

Post by InsrtCoins »

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to pick this up for 360 or PS3. I generally like playing on PS3 more than 360 because the interface is nicer, I think it looks a bit better, the fan is infinitely quieter, and it's generally a more pleasant experience, but my rule used to be that anything that required precise control like shooters or racers I would play on the 360 just because the controller is so much better. I have a really hard time using the PS3 controller for more intensive games like those. I'm leaning towards just buying it for the PS3 since it usually is a much better experience for me.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Although my 2008 PS3 is much louder than my 360 slim, I've gone for the PS3 version for a few reasons.

I too prefer the 360 controller to the DS3 but GTAV's gameplay isn't so precise and technical that it will make too much of a difference.

Apparently the builds are almost indistinguishable but the fact that Rockstar has been showing off the PS3 version could indicate that they are slightly more confident in its performance. Then there's the 1 disc factor to consider too - not a huge deal but given the choice I'd prefer never to have to swap discs.

Finally there's the fact that if I do end up playing the multiplayer it will likely be with Jay, who isn't getting the game day one but will inevitably go for the PS3 version when he does pick it up.

Absolutely nothing against the 360 version of course, and it doesn't sound like there will be a disparity as with Red Dead Redemption where the PS3 version was demonstrably inferior. If I was doing reviews at the moment and I'd been sent the 360 version I would have been every bit as thrilled.

That said, I'm genuinely happy that I've paid for my own copy of this and that I will be playing it for fun, for myself, without having to cast a professionally critical eye over it. Really looking forward to this one.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

I'm about 30% into the story missions and can reassure everyone it is indeed quite beautiful on PS3(albeit, Rockstar will need to address the drop out in audio now and again which only really happens when characters are in dialogue). I would be further on but exploring the GTA V world is just to tempting, loads to see and do so far and id reckon thats just the tip of the iceberg. Its easy to see how Rockstar have improved GTA as a game with elements from Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3 quite prominent. My problem is getting time to play it, as its a bit of a hectic schedule for me personally this weekend. First world problems. :P
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ooh, sounds great Don! :D
3manstack

Post by 3manstack »

Just pre ordered the PS3 version and requested into the C&R crew, so once the MP is up will look forward to doing ridiculous things with ridiculous people in a ridiculous manner.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Totally gonna swap my 360 copy for PS3 when the online mode comes out.