Prune

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Prune

Post by Alex79 »

I've spent the last hour playing Prune on the iPad. I was intrigued by it on the Appstore when I saw it - it was a game about growing a tree. Well I love games and I love trees, so I thought this sounded right up my street.

The first ten minutes or so were spent rather bewildered, I didn't really know what to do. There are no instructions, there is no tutorial, but there is definitely a right way to go about things. As I progressed through the levels I realised what the goal was, and have been rewarded by an incredibly relaxing game that is perfect to play in bed before going to sleep.

I guess the closest thing I could compare it to is thatgamecompany's Flower. In fact, it appears to lift some of the sound effect wholesale. I'm not sure how much lifespan it'll have, but I've got a good hour out of it so far, and I'm itching to get back to it as soon as I've finished this post.

So if you're after something a little different, something rather tranquil, and you enjoyed Flower (and in fact I didn't even really like Flower that much!) then this is definitely worth giving a try. Have a go - it's only three quid.
Alex79

Re: Prune

Post by Alex79 »

So I'm changing my review of this to one star until they fix the bug which makes you start from the first level every time you boot the game!!

>_<
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Is it a prune tree?
James

Post by James »

dezm0nd wrote:Is it a prune tree?
There's only one way to find out, Darren! ;)
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Alex79uk wrote:So if you're after something a little different, something rather tranquil, and you enjoyed Flower (and in fact I didn't even really like Flower that much!) then this is definitely worth giving a try. Have a go - it's only three quid.
I'm coming to this thread WAY late, but did you ever finish this Alex? I got it a few months ago for the exact reasons you did and it didn't click with me at all. I wonder if I was trying too hard to "beat" the level instead of just soaking it in. A friend of mine who doesn't play many games adores Prune.

The other issue I couldn't get past though were some things that felt really derivative. There these triangle symbols used to decorate the screen that looked straight out of Monument Valley and these chimes that I'm fairly confident were the exact sound files from Journey. That kept taking me out of the experience. I wanted to like this one, but it just didn't do it for me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Blimey, forgot about this thread! No, I never finished it right to the end. Still have it installed on the ipad though so may well have a go when I get home from work.