GoldenEye 007

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

GoldenEye 007

Post by ratsoalbion »

We're pretty confident we should be able to get a decent amount of feedback for the podcast for this particular game.

Memories of both single and multiplayer please, and we'd also love to hear from anyone who has gone back to the game more recently. Was the magic still there?

Or perhaps you never enjoyed GoldenEye 007 and you feel alone in the wilderness. We'd love to hear from you too.
seansthomas

Re: Our next podcast recording: GoldenEye 007

Post by seansthomas »

Will have a think about what to write about this. Doubt you will, but do you intend to touch on its legacy and the various GoldenEye reboots / the remake?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

We will do a little something on those, but nothing extensive.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

I'd just like to point out what a great job Rare did in creating a substantial game campaign from a film with only a handful of action scenes. GoldenEye (the movie) is one of the better Bond films, but it doesn't feature wall-to-wall action enough to suggest a first person shooter. Yet clever detours (visiting Severnaya in a pre-complete state, bulking up the chase for the stealth helicopter in 'Frigate') mean that Rare expand the film's story without feeling gratuitous.

Bond has never been a balls-out action character in the vein of a Schwarzenegger or Stallone character, which is why allowing the player to approach certain situations stealthily makes so much sense. Indeed, my least favourite levels are those where you're funnelled down corridors and forced to mow down countless bad guys. Yet the peerless 'Facility' remains a brilliant piece of level design because of the multiple options available.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Hmmmm, its a tough one. I did play goldeneye back in its heyday as we did have an N64 in my house, but I was also 5 or 6 years old from my vague memory, and I wanted to play pokemon stadium more, so I didn't pay it much attention. When I eventually came back to it many years later as an adult, this game never worked for me. The controls are a start, they're bloody terrible. The gamecube controller kinda shows me you can do FPS's with one analogue stick with metroid prime and the like, but the N64 controller is so bad for almost anything I play these days, and goldeneye is no exception, its a travesty far as I'm concerned.

The game also looks bad. I know that sounds silly to judge the graphics of an 18 year old game harshly, but some games from the same era hold up much better in my eyes, mario 64, majoras mask, pokemons stadium 1 and 2, it doesn't look good to me. As for the gameplay.... I know this sounds very harsh, maybe I went into this on a wave of nostalgia buoyed expectation from people, but I didn't enjoy it at all. The controls like I said were a big hinderance, and even then, didn't like it. Enemy AI isn't much good, aiming isn't much, having bond pull up his watch to pause the game is a pain. I like the gun sounds though.

I wasn't a fan of the original, honestly, I liked the PS3 remake a lot more. Something that should be left in the past.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

GoldenEye will always be a special game for me. It coincided with my first year at Uni and unlike many people who spent those formative years in a drug fueled orgy, I spent them making some great friends and playing one hell of a lot of local multiplayer.

GoldenEye was always the game of choice in Uni Halls, a hysterical way to pass several hours. We'd tailor the game to the groups skill level, with several of the poorer players loving proximity mines, using Licence to kill one shot deaths to level the field or letting the worst player from the previous round be Oddjob or Siberian Special Forces on the snow map.

Many titles seemingly had these games within games back in the day, and that's what I most loved about GoldenEye. Despite pumping hundreds of hours into it, it always threw up something hilarious and unexpected. That's partly down to Rare being a developer who likes to have fun via things like Slapper mode and silly characters, but also down to a lot of flaws within the engine such as guns poking through doors and badly animated soldiers sliding on one knee down air vents.

And that's why I think it should be left in the past. GoldenEye hadn't had its quirks or silliness play tested out of it but you know nowadays it would. I loved the reboot on Wii and think it nailed a great deal of what made this game so good, but take away the friends, eccentricities and in truth, downright bugginess, and you have a title that blew open a genre but has been left behind by its successors.

I enjoyed the single player campaign one hell of a lot too mind. I pumped hours into completing these levels in multiple ways on varying difficulties, loving how that first level would take me half hour to clear on first go but eventually seeing me conquer it in 50 seconds. I never did manage to unlock that very last level alas despite years of trying but it was a blast, made all the better by the N64 controller which felt made for it.

I've tried to recreate those years of mayhem since but always found that people have moved on. The slowdown is awful, the non gamers who joined in the fun at Uni would far prefer to pick up something instinctive like Wii Sports or Mario Chase and if it wasn't a special game for you at the time, it won't be now. But for those of us who got to enjoy it with friends at the time, it'll remain an all time great.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Where to begin?

Well I am a huge James Bond fan and Goldeneye is one of my favourite Bond films so the news of a game certainly had me excited. I didn't have a N64 in 1997 I had only rented one at launch so I knew what I wanted for Christmas, I asked for a N64 and Goldeneye. I should also drop in at this point that my 18th birthday is December 30th.

Christmas Day 1997 arrives and I look through my presents and find the game shaped present and excitedly open it to reveal YES!!! Goldeneye 64!!. I then look for the N64 itself barely containing my excitement but there was no sign of it. Was my Mum saving it for a grand entrance?. NO! "Oh you are getting your N64 for your birthday it's not here" (5 days time). I spent that Christmas Day reading the instruction booklet in a bad mood whilst setting up my new pager.

So hooray! my birthday arrives. I had of course planned a day full of drinking with all my friends but arranged to not meet them till 1pm as at last! I would get my N64 and finally get to play Goldeneye, a game by now I had read the instructions from cover to cover. In comes Mum "oh we don't have it you are getting it at your party tonight". So I went out and got very drunk that day as you do and vaguely remember opening up my N64 and I imagine doing a drunk rendition of the N64 kid at that point.

So finally I got to play Goldeneye. What a great game it is. From entering through the vent I knew I was playing something special. I whizzed through all the levels on easy only to want to retry them on harder difficulties which I did. Graphically at the time it looked great too and it was very close to the film. Soundtrack was superb as well and great sound effects. As mentioned above one of my biggest gaming regrets is not managing to unlock that last level. I must have attempted to complete the one missing level on 00 Agent 100's of times but could not do it.

Multiplayer looked superb and I would have loved to have partaken, however being at sixth form still and only working part time I didn't have a lot of expendable cash so the thought of spending over £100 on controllers was a no go. At that time my work had a competition to win £150 in vouchers of your choosing and I won so I bought 3 more controllers and Diddy Kong Racing.

I lived at that time about 100m from my school so pretty much every free period 5 days a week for 2 years were spent in my front room playing Goldeneye with the same 4 friends. We must have played 1000's of hours. I was a dab hand so it tended to be 3 v me which was good fun. Our favourite modes was the hilarious Big heads with hands only and one hit kills. Maps were always facility and temple. No multiplayer gaming has ever felt good as this it was for a time the perfect game. Laying remote mines and watching your friends screen waiting for them to walk past was hilarious as one person saw you with your watch ready and knew they were going to die soon.

Also best death music ever?

I was lucky enough to go to a retro event recently in Leeds and they had a N64 set up with Goldeneye. It has not aged well but in the game I played I did win and memories came flooding back, I knew exactly where the body armour. Would I recommend someone play it now?. No I wouldn't as it simply has not aged well.

It is number 2 in my favourite games of all time for a reason.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I anticipate this game being very fondly remembered by those that played it back in the day, but perhaps not regarded quite so warmly by any who choose to play along for the podcast. With regard to my own personal relationship with the game, well that's not that much to say really. I didn't own an N64 when it was released, but my girlfriends younger brother did and so I played plenty of multiplayer. It was the first multi-player FPS I'd ever played and to say we enjoyed it was an understatement. We got days, weeks and months of enjoyment out of playing Deathmatch - myself, my girlfriends brother and her sisters boyfriend would gather round his TV most evenings before being reluctantly dragged away by our respective girlfriends. We loved it, we knew the maps inside out, the pros and cons of the various weapons and skins - mind you this was almost 20 years ago, I actually remember very little of it now! My girlfriends family went on holiday this one time, leaving myself and her sisters boyfriend in charge of the house. Aside from the usual deathmatch 1v1 we also played pass the pad to make it through the single player campaign. That opening level was one we played over and over again, such an incredible introduction to the game.

When I eventually got my own N64 many years later I obviously bought myself a copy of Goldeneye to go with it, but not having anyone then to play the multiplayer with meant I was stuck with the main game. In a world of Far Cry and Halo, however, it didn't fare so well. I played a bit of it, but something weird had happened to the game. The graphics just didn't look as good as they used to, the animations were jerky and the frame rate so poor you'd be excused for thinking it was a Victorian flick book. Ah yes, the game had definitely fallen foul of the curse of time. It was amazing at the time, probably one of the best multiplayer games ever in fact - but should someone who's not played it before give it a try now? well, in a word - no. Some things are best left in the past.

THREE WORLD REVIEW : NO ODDJOB ALLOWED!

EDIT : Sean summed this up perfectly for me in his post above with this really nice line :
seansthomas wrote:... if it wasn't a special game for you at the time, it won't be now. But for those of us who got to enjoy it with friends at the time, it'll remain an all time great.
Couldn't have (and didn't!) put it better.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I suspect I'm the odd one out then. I bought it at launch and... thought it was kinda meh.

At the time I was heavily into playing Quake 2 capture the flag at work, and around this time there was also Half-life... (actually, I'm not convinced that lines up time wise? Maybe I didn't buy it at launch. Hmm, getting old is fun.)

Goldeneye felt too slow, too fiddly to control, and far too frustrating. I really didn't enjoy it at all. I don't think I enjoyed any FPS on console until the twin stick control method came along. Prior to that I was a die-hard 'mouse and keyboard ONLY' kind of player.

I also don't think it's aged very well, but that's almost universal with N64 games unfortunately. (Tech thing: The N64 had very little texture memory, and had very restrictive maximum texture sizes compared to the PlayStation and Dreamcast. 64x64 if I'm remembering correctly. That's why everything looks VERY blurry now.)

I don't deny it's importance though. It showed FPS could be done on console, which was something most people thought impossible (although I still kinda like Exhumed, which I think was earlier?)

I just didn't like it.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes, we'd already had Exhumed (among others) - the Saturn version of which was particularly fine.

From the same developer (Lobotomy) we also go the technically super-impressive Saturn ports of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake the same Christmas as GoldenEye.

Worth mentioning of course that it was entirely possible to play GoldenEye with twin analogue stick control - if you employed two controllers.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

It can be done on consoles, not with that controller though. The N64 controller is so awful, don't know how I played Mario 64 on it back in the day.
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

My early experiences with GoldenEye are probably slightly different to most. I never owned an N64 myself - I was a Playstation child - but there was one in my 'house' at the boarding school that I attended. Morning chapel, double Latin, and then death by RC-P90. Take that Tom Brown.

Public school clichés aside, this was a formidable proving ground in the dark arts and twitch skills of the split-screen multi-player shoot 'Em Up. In the first few months after our housemaster returned from town with a box bearing Pierce Brosnan's steely-eyed visage, there were rarely fewer than fifteen 11-14 year old boys crowded around the gaming TV. Those not playing would eagerly await their turn, eyes fixated on the action unfolding before them. One of the most challenging aspects of playing in this environment was training oneself not to swear instinctively after being caught out by a particularly devious remote mine, lest one of the house tutors happened to be wandering by. Playing as Oddjob guaranteed social pariah status for at least the rest of the afternoon - sometimes it was worth it.

Curiously, I never played the single player mode. This was a privilege reserved only for the oldest year group in our house, the rest of us watching on enviously at what suddenly, without the split-screen, seemed to be an incredibly large screen. GoldenEye as expression of institutional hierarchy - I know you chaps are thorough, but I suspect even you might not have covered that particular angle.

My favourite memory of GoldenEye though, was when one of my mates from home was given the game by his parents. He and two other friends had been playing it together for a few weeks when, having broken up for the school holidays, I was invited round to his house to get in on the action. With abilities honed in the fiercely competitive environment of school - where I was at best average - I racked up more kills than Schwarzenegger in Commando. I don't think I lost a game that summer. Before I start to sound too arrogant, I should add that since those halcyon days, I have consistently been the worst out of this same group of friends at a succession of shooters from Perfect Dark to Halo. That's why that particular memory is so special - it was a glorious, brief period when I reigned supreme.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Great post, Hunter. That was a really interesting insight in to a world most of us will be completely clueless about.
AlexMaskill

Post by AlexMaskill »

I used to play this all the time with my cousins in paintball mode - mine was a PlayStation house (and so it shall remain) and so we had to use their N64. Four players on one screen, and this was back when I barely had the cognitive and mental dexterity to play proper video games so they always took me out quickly, but the range of environments and the fidelity of the graphics bowled me over. It was the first time I saw a game genuinely giving a decent approximation of the experiences the protagonist of the film faced. Being a morbid little shit, I was always drawn to the throwing knives; completely impractical but there was just something cooler about it in my mind.

The game strikes me as the kind of thing that would be incredibly hard to go back to given how much the shooter genre has improved, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the game was actually pretty broken and we've just all communally forgotten, but I'll definitely be curious to hear what you guys think having revisited it.
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

Cheers Alex (79). That type of educational environment has its pluses and minuses, but my memories are overwhelmingly positive and I came through the experience without too many lasting psychological scars!
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I booted up goldeneye on the N64 today after reading peoples thoughts in this thread, and my opinion still stands that this is one that should be left in the past. It's kind of charming though in that way out dated games often are, but I feel like maybe we've just been spoilt by more modern, slicker shooters, or I just don't have the required nostalgia googles to enjoy this.
Ramblinghamster

Post by Ramblinghamster »

I am looking forward to hearing the Pods take on Goldeneye; this was the go to game on my N64 in Mutiplayer between February of ’98 until Perfect Dark was released in 2000. The game saw me through much of my free periods in sixth form (hooking up a tv and pooling controllers to get a 4 player match up and running) and many a Friday evening spent playing licence to kill into the early hours of the morning. Although aside from Oddjob there was little difference between the multiplayer characters, one friend I remember selected a red jumpered nobody taken from the single player streets level on one occasion, dubbing him “psycho civilian”, won the round, and could not be persuaded to part from him henceforth, however irrational it seemed!

The single player really drew me into an FPS for the first time, unlike Doom, whose fantastical setting had left me cold. Once past the first Dam level, I realised that:

- I could choose to kill with stealth to improve my chances of success

- That guards would react depending on where you shot them

- That a lock could be shot off to gain access to a new area

Following these revelations, I was completely immersed, and eager to play through the whole experience.

Over a four month period I worked through all 3 difficulties over the 20 levels available, and then scaled the next challenge by besting some insane times to unlock the rare cheat codes. Obtaining invincibility on Facility in less than 2.05 on 00 Agent was particularly fiendish, as mission critical Dr Doak turned up in a number of different locations, which could make meeting the time limit impossible, and cued much swearing!

Still owning my N64 today, going back to Goldeneye, while noting the graphical appeal has faded with the passing of time, I find from an audio perspective that it still impresses me, which is remarkable given the N64’s notable shortcomings during the era in that particular department. Each level has a tune with a different spin on Monty Norman’s classic theme, which does the job of differentiating each mission fantastically well. Rare even made pausing the game mid mission an event, as this triggered the Q watch face graphic, alongside memorable background music. I’d be humming away to that pause screen for days at a time. You can even buy a cheap version of the watch for yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrA72YBejlA apparently, so I don’t think it was just me who recalls this specific dimension of the game fondly!

Aside from the positives, I can see that there are some very weak single player levels, which even at the time felt like low points, such as “streets” and “depot”. Perhaps in an attempt to follow the story arc of the film, Rare tried to persevere with levels that should have been left on the cutting room floor, but it is easy to appreciate how driving a tank with a city at your mercy must have seemed like such a great idea in brainstorming sessions. In reality it was a dull level, with the minor exception of running over enemy soldiers, whose screams gave it some small merit. The NPC AI will not be winning any awards today either, and I get cold chills at the memory of your sidekick Natalya walking in front of pitched battles, and ending up dead time and again with her apparent ignorance of the dangers of flying lead.

I do think that this game deserves the classic status that it is given; Goldeneye showed that the FPS could sell on consoles before
Halo, and it excelled in both single and multiplayer.

My 3 word review

Console Stealth Works
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

3 word review: Licensed to kill
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I seem to remember both levels with Robbie Coltrane in as not the best.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Just remembered Natalya's random routes through a level and desire to run in front of your machine gun, 10 minutes into that stand off by the GoldenEye satellite console.

GOD, SHE DROVE ME MAD...