All things Fallout

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
deacon05oc

Re: All things Fallout

Post by deacon05oc »

I never fully played a Fallout game. Only briefly messed with 3 and New Vegas. Is it worth to go back? Or should I just go on and get 4?
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

I've broken all the rules this time, preordered 6 hours before release, bought digitally, preloaded.

Then I fell asleep at 11.45...

Can't wait to try it out tonight!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ha ha, nice work!
:lol:

Hope you enjoy it Mike!
:mrgreen:
mikeleddy83

Re: RE: Re: All things Fallout

Post by mikeleddy83 »

deacon05oc wrote:I never fully played a Fallout game. Only briefly messed with 3 and New Vegas. Is it worth to go back? Or should I just go on and get 4?
Not sure how they hold up. Played 3 on 360 then on ps3 3 years later and it still stood up. I'd get them cheap, heard the PC versions have loads of mods too.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As an aside, if you get the Xbox One version of Fallout 4 I believe you get a code for the 360 version in the box, playable on XO via backwards compatibility.

In fact, if it hasn't gone yet, that nice Mr Flabyo is giving one away over in the community folder...
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

GAME are giving away bobble heads with the steelbook version. Whoops I've just spent 55 pounds...
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

deacon05oc wrote:I never fully played a Fallout game. Only briefly messed with 3 and New Vegas. Is it worth to go back? Or should I just go on and get 4?
I think they still hold up even if their engine has aged poorly at the core I fallout 4 still is the same type of game so if you are interested in the universe go back and play them I personally thinki you should at least play New Vegas,but if you dont care much for the universe there's no much reason to play them because fallout 4 seems to be fairly self contained.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I put about 80 hours in to Fallout 3 on the 360 about 18 months ago - it's still a fantastic game, and definitely worth playing.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Had my first "bug"

I had a mission with a NPC in tow and I hacked into the system and deactivated the turrets and he wouldn't move on. I went back and reactivated them though and then it carried on.

Quite like the dialog tree and the crafting options seem simple
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I'm enjoying it so far, but other than the better crafting system it pretty much IS Fallout 3 with nicer art.

Now I'm fine with that, but Witcher 3 this ain't.
martymcfly3004

Post by martymcfly3004 »

First impressions is that it doesn't look the best but it's very enjoyable. Also played on remote play for an hour, is the best I've experienced so far.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So still absolutely loving this game, but had a couple of issues:

1. Arrived at Diamond City and audio with npcs is all over the shop and a mess in cutscenes where it cuts to me.

2. Dog has gone missing. Left him in a hospital (told him to wait) and travelled back 5 hours later and hes vanished.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I do get frustrated with NPCs talking over each other.

I've also had one occasion where a companion did his 'interrupt the player camera to ask if the player has time for a chat' right in the middle of a very dramatic scene involving several other NPCs that I now couldn't *see* or *hear*.

This is basic stuff to fix and shouldn't happen. And believe me I know, cause I've written code to handle this very thing myself :)

I am enjoying it a fair bit. The main plot is, so far at least, extremely uninteresting. But all the small vignette quests are great fun, and tend to be where Bethesda games excel.

Oh, if you do lose Dogmeat he may have returned to Sanctuary, and he then goes and finds a random doghouse to sit in. Usually the last one you check. I'm tempted to move them all to the centre of town. If that fails, if you switch to a different companion it'll probably ask you where to send Dogmeat to.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'll try to get back to Sanctuary at some point, I didn't really explore Vault 111 before leaving it.

I've found somewhere with a superb little nod to Fallout 3 and a little sidequest I'll go back to.

I also took a walk through a park with a pond after side stepping a random war between some Raiders and Super Mutants and bumped into something very random that killed me instantly which must be a quest of some sort.

Not met any companions yet, I tend to go solo as I'm still mourning the death of my Lydia in Skyrim. But if somehow my boy Fawkes turns up....
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I'm enjoying the fact that Bethesda's art direction has improved so much since Fallout 3. Their games are still ropey on a technical level, and Fallout 4 doesn't have the level of fidelity many games have these days, BUT there is a real understanding of how to use colour and shape to make objects and environments visually appealing, which we started to see in Skyrim and has now carried over to the Fallout series.

Bit conflicted by the inclusion of a voiced protagonist though.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Agreed with every bit of that, Josh. Really not sure how to feel about the voiced protagonist, and, as you know, I've always been a proponent of voiced protags. It's just...it's my story for all of the gameplay, and, then, all of a sudden, this guy starts talking.

His voice acting isn't particularly good, either.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Sean wrote:Agreed with every bit of that, Josh. Really not sure how to feel about the voiced protagonist, and, as you know, I've always been a proponent of voiced protags. It's just...it's my story for all of the gameplay, and, then, all of a sudden, this guy starts talking.

His voice acting isn't particularly good, either.
I agree, he doesn't have much emotion in his responses.

Dog turned up in a lift I was travelling in randomly and I've decided to go with my first companion. Following the main quest for now as I'm interested to see where it goes. I have a theory
Spoiler: show
After your son is taken you refreeze and I believe another ten or twenty years have passed so your son may be fully grown
Also were Feral Ghouls *that* fast in Fallout 3?
Todinho

Post by Todinho »

I also imagine the voiced protagonist prevents those great 1 inteligence runs of previous games

Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

If you choose to play as a lady, you're treated to a much better vocal performance.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

That sounds familiar.