Videogame crossovers/battles

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alphizzle

Videogame crossovers/battles

Post by Alphizzle »

Greetings C&R community.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss any video game cross-overs/battles you would like to see.

For me, I'd like to see Raziel from the 'Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver' series, share a universe/cross paths with any of the Demon/Dark Souls protagonists.

When considering the importance of souls in the Soul Reaver and Souls games, I feel that this would make for an interesting encounter.

I look forward to reading all of your suggestions.
Kind Regards,
Alphizzle
NokkonWud

Re: Videogame crossovers/battles

Post by NokkonWud »

Crossovers are always an odd thing and nothing new, we've seen them many times (not always via the most official licensing back in the day) to appearances in other franchises (such as Heihachi in Soul Calibur, amongst others) but the problem is that balancing it always becomes an issue. Square Enix did the same with Kingdom Hearts, and whilst it's kind of fun to see crossovers, it does make that game a bit of a mess to follow (although fun!)

Crossovers are always more an idealistic concept than realistic, sadly.

That said, I'd just like to see more Raziel full stop, he's a pretty great character - though he probably lends himself to a Darksiders game now than something like a Souls game, but then you run into the problem of different publishers.

In an idealistic sense I'd like to see a Dead Space style title in a darker take on Rapture!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Capcom should totally retcon Dino Crisis as being part of the Resident Evil universe and have Regina show up in a future RE game or Chris and Leon tag team punching velociraptors or whatever. It's not like they're doing anything worthwhile with either franchise anyway.

But more seriously, I agree with NokkonWud about crossovers being better off as idealistic fan-fiction concepts. Though Professor Layton x Ace Attorney is pretty nice.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

My vote would be for a Kingdom Hearts reboot. The Disney and Final Fantasy crossover was a lot of fun and Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 were two of my favorite games of the PS2 era. But I feel like they squandered it. That series got so convoluted with spin-offs and games from different genres spread over multiple consoles and handhelds that I fell off that wagon. I looked into getting caught up before Kingdom Hearts 3 to see if I could rekindle that childhood love, but even the collections are insane (Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5, 2.5 and 2.8). I think rebooting the franchise with a new story that maintains the Disney/FF crossover but ditches all of the expanded story would be great (similar to how Force Awakens jettisoned the Star Wars expanded universe).

I also enjoyed it in Link's Awakening when Mario enemies started showing up. I like it when Nintendo has crossovers between their different franchises.
Craig

Post by Craig »

I remember hearing that Kojima originally wanted Solid Snake to be put on trial for war crimes at the end of one of the Metal Gear Solid games. I`d really like to see that come to fruition one day.

With Phoenix Wright as his defense lawyer.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

That reminds me that I still need to play the Phoenix Wright / Professor Layton crossover game. I own it, I've just never got round to it. I don't think Theatrhtym Curtain Call has been out of my 3DS all year (does that count as a crossover game? Square have been building for some years now this idea that the Final Fantasy games all take place in the same 'multi-verse' and that crossovers between the worlds can happen)

My favourite silly crossover game series in recent years is the Warriors Orochi games.

It started off with Koei just mixing their Chinese 'Three Kingdoms' Dynasty warrior characters with their Japanese 'Warring States' Samurai Warriors characters. But has since grown to include characters from Ninja Gaiden, DOA, Soul Calibur, Warriors of Troy, Bladestorm... it's really quite daft. And yet AND YET all the characters are consistent with their previous portrayals.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

It's not really a crossover in the traditional sense, but I think Telltale could make a fantastic X-Files game. The format of the TV show could lend itself really well to the Telltale template. And well, I guess there have been X-Files games, so it could count as a crossover!
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I believe my dream cross-over would be combining the dark, disturbing yet compelling world of Silent Hill with the loud racket of a Pachinko machine... maybe one day a company will be brave enough to take that step! :roll:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Don't talk so crazy.
Joshihatsumitsu

Hmmm... okay, fair enough, that idea is a bit out there...

What about a cross-over where we take every character from every David Cage game ever, give David Cage absolutely free reign to go as crazy/bonkers as he wants with threading storylines and characters together, surround him with yesmen that tell him all his ideas are great, and give the game optional VR support?

Imagine how good that fictional world be: free from logic, untethered by common sense, crazy dialogue/story arcs... I have a love of good-bad movies, and this could make a very good-bad game.
gallo_pinto

Post by gallo_pinto »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:I believe my dream cross-over would be combining the dark, disturbing yet compelling world of Silent Hill with the loud racket of a Pachinko machine... maybe one day a company will be brave enough to take that step! :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

my dream cross over would be probably disgaea x fire emblem! think of all the dialogue :D
Joshihatsumitsu

Nice, nice... I like some of the ideas coming through here...

I was thinking about one of the things that bugged me about Gears of War games: the slow walk/finger on the earpiece/loading screen covering moments that occur through the campaign. However, as "walking simulators" have become more common, what about a Gears of War/Dear Esther crossover? You could switch between first and third person perspective, walk really slowly, not be able to interact with anything in the environment, and again, walk really slowly.

Two birds, one stone: the mainstream and indie demographic in one game. :lol:
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

It's lazy bust I think about a Nintendo v Sega Smash Bros game more often than I should. Mind you the mere presence of Kazuma Kiryu and his heat actions would give the game an 18s cert.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

This sounds awful but it would be brilliant: Soulsborne Smash Bros.

2D beat-em-up chaos with Maiden In Black vs. Shalquior vs. Priscilla vs. Father Gascoigne vs. Greirat vs. Stonetrader Cloanne vs. Sif vs. Eileen the Crow, all fighting it out in Darkroot Garden, the Fishing Hamlet and Majula.

What's that smell? I shat myself with excitement.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote:2D beat-em-up chaos with Maiden In Black vs. Shalquior vs. Priscilla vs. Father Gascoigne vs. Greirat vs. Stonetrader Cloanne vs. Sif vs. Eileen the Crow, all fighting it out in Darkroot Garden, the Fishing Hamlet and Majula.
Only tangentially related, but there seems to be a fair amount of 2D Dark Souls pixel fanart out there, including some very nice animated backgrounds which would be right at home in your dream project.