Games Done Quick

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Games Done Quick

Post by Flabyo »

For those that enjoy the twice a year 'games done quick' charity events, this years summer one kicks off today and runs all week:

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
hazeredmist

Re: Games Done Quick

Post by hazeredmist »

Think it's just us Flabyo, just checking in here to say I'm dialled in like I am every time! Love GDQ... Kirby & Mega Man last night was brilliant.
James

Post by James »

Been watching plenty of this. Not much else to say, beyond the fact that AGDQ (and SGDQ) continue to be excellent fun and a positive celebration of games. Also, the audience are at peak I'll-just-clap-when-everyone-else-does throughout. ;-)
James

Post by James »

Oh, and I know Karl has been watching too.
You are not alone. We are here with you. Though we're far apart, you're always in our hearts!
Craig

Post by Craig »

I usually play catch up though this week I've had a school trip to go on so I've not really had any spare time to myself. Will be having a good marathon this weekend to relax!
James

Post by James »

Means you can cherry pick the games you really want to see! :-)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I love watching EVO and shoot 'em up and arcade game superplays, but watching speedruns somehow has 0 appeal to me. I think it's great that it's there, however.
James

Post by James »

I find the appeal similar. It helps me massively if it's a game I know, and therefore can better appreciate the skills on display. Speedrunning is definitely more like watching someone in Training Mode, preparing for EVO, I'd say.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I find them so comforting and soothing, though I seldom watch them. I wonder if there's a mild ASMR thing to it, watching someone very skilful do something complex and engaging and make it look straightforward and ordered and effortless.

I really enjoy watching NorthernLion Isaac runs, but I've only seen half a dozen! His first Lost run in particular seems so easy, but it's absurd what he actually does and yet his commentary is so light hearted and relaxed.

So, not completely relevant but yeah, I dig the appeal and wish I watched more. Always enjoy them.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I have a more technical view on them I guess. I like seeing the kind of bugs, glitches, skips, zips and so on that exist in both old and new games.

A lot of the time you'll hear a runner say 'I don't know why the developer did it like that', and I like trying to work out for myself what the reasons for a given thing might be.

I guess it exercises the part of my brain that I use when I'm actually bug fixing, it's like a busman's holiday I guess.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Absolutely amazing week, watched as much as I could. The pinnacle was the Mario 64 120 star run for me at an absolutely ridiculous time less than 2 minutes off the world record. Also really enjoyed the Sonic Generations run.

Raised an absolute shitload for charity too. Bravo!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The folks over at Games done Quick have pulled together a 3 day marathon event at short notice to raise money for Storm Harvey relief. It’s all being done online, and will I assume stream from their Twitch channel as normal.

Friday 8pm EDT till Sunday 8pm.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The next one of these comes along pretty soon in 2018 from Jan 7th to the 14th, the schedule is up here

For those who want a speed run fix right now, the twitch channel SpeedGaming (and its siblings, SpeedGaming2, SpeedGaming3 and SpeedGaming4) are hosting a series of head to head tournaments racing a variety of games over the next few days.

I’m mainly watching the Mario Odyssey Any % contests this evening, they take about 80 minutes to go from start to first credits, and not that many sequence breaks or skips are involved. Just a ridiculous amount of cap jumping skill.