Games Completed 2018

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Simonsloth

Re: Games Completed 2018

Post by Simonsloth » September 16th, 2018, 12:59 pm

I absolutely loved thirty flights and Virginia. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll give it a look and let you know what I think.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » September 16th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Simonsloth wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 12:59 pm
I absolutely loved thirty flights and Virginia. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll give it a look and let you know what I think.
Cool. It's a very different type of game to those two. Much more obscure, but it's definitely part of that lineage.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 16th, 2018, 3:14 pm

So in order to hype myself up for the upcoming show, I decided to sneak in a quick impromptu replay of Resident Evil 4 over the weekend. Started yesterday afternoon and 9-10 hours of in-game time later, the credits are rolling and I'm left with a big silly grin on my face.

I honestly feel like I didn't do this game justice with my contribution in the podcast thread... There are so many things I didn't even mention. Sound design being one of them. The various sound cues are incredibly well coordinated and everything just sounds crisp, distinct and carries a surprising amount of mechanical meaning. The music is also superb. Every boss battle has its own musical accompaniment that perfectly sets the mood. From the Verdugo and its full Alien-style high tension to Krauser's malevolent rhythm. It's all so... fitting.

It also bears repeating just how fair everything is. I played on Professional with maxed out hyper-aggressive enemy AI to the point where standard goons were literally surviving hand grenades blowing up right underneath them, and yet every single fail state that occurred and almost every single point of damage that I took was entirely my fault. Never had to fumble around in imprecise real-time radial menus, always had a way to navigate the terrain, always had the perfect amount of time to react to unforeseen circumstances. Plan, act, react, execute. Just raw, precise, deliberate, methodical gameplay that puts every second to good use, never screws the player over and knows how to walk the razor-thin line between challenging and cheap.

It's also one of the last AAA games to be thoroughly, unapologetically gamey. It doesn't feel beholden to real-life logic and doesn't shoe-horn in half-baked explanations for its various systems. Things work the way they work because it benefits the pacing and creates a better gameplaying experience. When returning to the chandelier hall in the castle through the door on the top floor for example, a giant ladder has suddenly been placed right next to the exit. There is no logical reason for it to be there except for providing the player with a quick way back up in case they fall down. That's it. Everything is fluid and responsive and fun. Every single item you pick up is meaningful. No need for long-winded unskippable exposition dumps during otherwise tedious traversal sections. No pointless collectibles. It's closer to Super Mario World than to Horizon: Zero Dawn in that regard.

The polish puts 99,99% of modern non-Nintendo games to shame. Genuine glitches are exceedingly rare, and most of those I've encountered are the direct result of the sloppy 60fps conversion.

This really should be held as the gold standard of the industry for my money. Perfect storm of a great director in his prime with a crystal clear vision, followed by an incredibly talented development team, and backed by a solid budget that didn't have a thousand strings and cynical lowest-common-denominator concessions attached to it.

(Pictured: God Tier attention to detail.)

I'm completely in love. Anyway, bring on the podcast! :)

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 16th, 2018, 3:21 pm

I don’t think the podcast can possibly live up to your expectations either tbh!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 16th, 2018, 3:28 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 3:21 pm
Well I haven't complained about any of this year's RE shows so far, have I? As far as I'm concerned, you guys are doing a very good job. Is there any reason why this one would be any different? ...You're scaring me all of a sudden! :lol:

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 16th, 2018, 5:53 pm

I’ve never played it, never even been slightly interested in playing it. We’ll see if the cast changes my mind.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 16th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Flabyo wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 5:53 pm
I’ve never played it, never even been slightly interested in playing it. We’ll see if the cast changes my mind.
If our previous podcast on the game didn't, I doubt very much that this one will.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » September 16th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Flabyo wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Have you played any of them?

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » September 16th, 2018, 10:11 pm

I think we’ve been over this on here before, last Resident Evil I played was Code Veronica, which I really didn’t like. And given I never massively liked any of the ones before it (except maybe 3) I don’t consider it much of a loss.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » September 16th, 2018, 10:22 pm

16-09 Def Jam Fight for NY (Xbox)

First time I played through the story mode on the Xbox version and it was enjoyable as always.

MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer » September 17th, 2018, 5:46 am

Spoiler: show
Jan 1 - Neon Chrome (PC)
Jan 2 - Dispersio (PC)
Jan 9 - Numbus (PC)
Jan 11 - Hero Siege (PC)
Jan 14 - Castle of no Escape 2 (PC)
Jan 20 - Toy Odyssey (PC)
Jan 23 - 20XX (PC)
Jan 25 - Battle Chef Brigade (Switch)
Jan 29 - Kamiko (Switch)
Feb 1 - Guild of Dungeoneering (PC)
Feb 3 - KByte (PC)
Feb 7 - Cat Quest (Switch)
Feb 11 - DYE (PC)
Mar 7 - The End is Nigh (Switch)
Mar 10 - Shadow Warrior 2 (PC)
Mar 16 - The Keep (PC)
Mar 17 - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd (PC)
Mar 18 - Hue (PC)
Mar 22 - Song of the Deep (PC)
Mar 28 - Metro: 2033 Redux (PC)
Apr 4 - Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (Switch)
Apr 6 - Xeodrifter (Switch)
Apr 8 - Has-Been Heroes (Switch)
Apr 14 - Slime-san (Switch)
Apr 20 - ReThink (PC)
Apr 22 - Little King's Story (PC)
Apr 24 - Headlander (PC)
Apr 28 - Dex (PC)
Apr 30 - SUPERHOT (PC)
May 6 - Azure Striker Gunvolt (Switch)
May 7 - The Ball (PC)
May 21 - Drakensang (PC)
May 23 - Spectrum (PC)
May 25 - Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas (Switch)
May 27 - The Sexy Brutale (PC)
Jun 4 - Immortal Redneck (PC)
Jun 5 - Momodora: Reverie Under The Moonlight (PC)
Jun 11 - Prey (PC)
Jun 14 - Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Switch)
Jun 16 - Scrap Garden (PC)
Jun 17 - LostWinds (PC)
Jun 20 - Straimium Immortaly (PC)
Jun 25 - Dreaming Sarah (PC)
Jun 26 - Poi: Explorer Edition (Switch)
Jun 29 - Dungeon Souls (PC)
Jul 2 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)
Jul 6 - Bleed 2 (Switch)
Jul 11 - Risen (PC)
Jul 18 - Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (PC)
Jul 22 - Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten (PC)
Aug 8 - Styx: Master of Shadows (PC)
Aug 9 - Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch)
Aug 15 - Owlboy (Switch)
Aug 18 - DOOM [2016] (PC)
Aug 21 - Unbox: Newbie's Adventure (PC)
Sept 5 - Nioh (PC)

The Dark Souls comparisons are unavoidable here because that is what this game is, except with a Japanese setting. There isn't a single world to explore but everything is mission based. The levels themselves are really well designed having the expected loop backs and twisty areas. What I don't care about are the side missions. They are all either reused main mission areas or are new areas that you see several times only in the side missions. Feels a bit like padding there.

The combat is as expected but with a couple additions. You can see enemy Ki (stamina) bars under their health. Human enemies have the normal Ki drain on blocking/attacking and regenerate otherwise. They get stunned for a finisher when fully drained (the same goes for you). Yokai enemies, on the other hand, have their Ki drained only when getting hit and only regenerate if standing in a yokai realm pool (certain attacks create them). When drained, every single hit they attack staggers them so you can get in loads of hits. Hitting certain weak spots will instantly drain their Ki. It helps keep the combat fresh though there are way, way more yokai enemies than human ones.

I enjoyed the game but was brought down by a couple things. The first is a big one. Enemy damage is way too high. Most enemies in the game can kill you in 2 hits (some even in 1) from full. It makes healing while you are still at 70% feel like a waste but also needed to live their attacks. I'll admit I played through with light armor but looking at the stat differences, I can only see it giving you maybe one extra hit. I'm still continuing the game (DLC/NG+)and trying to move to medium armor and may edit this if there is any difference.

Some of the debuffs are also a concern. There is nothing like toxic but I'd take that over the next couple. One is paralyze. It does exactly what it says and leaves you open for a finisher which is almost guaranteed to kill you. This is made worse when the 2nd boss of the game has attacks that will instantly paralyze. The other I hated was slow. It makes everything you do take twice as long. Good luck healing or dodging like that. It is another just about death sentence.

There are a lot of good things here. It just needs to be refined for it to be great for me. Maybe for Nioh 2 but this has tempered expectations for that.

As a minor update, going from light to medium armor did very little to help with incoming damage. Hits to death stayed the same. It is also very weird that the level of the DLC is tuned to be beyond NG+.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » September 17th, 2018, 6:16 am

Flabyo wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 10:11 pm
I think we’ve been over this on here before, last Resident Evil I played was Code Veronica, which I really didn’t like. And given I never massively liked any of the ones before it (except maybe 3) I don’t consider it much of a loss.
As I'm sure you know, RE4 plays so differently that it's the 'end' of the series for many hardcore fans of the previous survival horror games.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 17th, 2018, 11:15 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 3:28 pm
ratsoalbion wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 3:21 pm
Well I haven't complained about any of this year's RE shows so far, have I? As far as I'm concerned, you guys are doing a very good job. Is there any reason why this one would be any different? ...You're scaring me all of a sudden! :lol:
Well, it's probably hard to live up to the expectations of someone who analyses a game at the individual-grenade-thrown level of granularity :D

I finished Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors for the 'true ending' with KSub's help previously in this thread. It was...

?

Guh!

!!

It was ok, I guess! Fairly preposterous, when all was said and done, but I didn't really know what to expect going in, and was probably expecting something a little more traditional as regards the narrative. I'm assuming that it all tied up pretty tightly within the fairly expansive parameters it set, in the end. Is the appeal of this partcular game, that it weaves all the elaborate plots points and threads into a satisfying whole in the end? Like a detective story?

I don't know that I'll try out its sequel; if you need to use a guide, or at least a lot repetition and trial and error to get to the good endings, I'm not sure that's for me. I appreciate it succeeds very well within its own universe, but to me the game feels more like the narrative equivalent of a sudoku puzzle, if that makes sense.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 17th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Chopper wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 11:15 am
Well, it's probably hard to live up to the expectations of someone who analyses a game at the individual-grenade-thrown level of granularity :D
I'm not expecting some Saurian Dash level of complete mechanical breakdown here! Just the usual mix of thorough research and lively discussions with well-articulated arguments. I doubt anyone will be as passionate about the game as I am, but as long as the criticism is fair, I won't complain. :)

Chopper wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 11:15 am
Is the appeal of this partcular game, that it weaves all the elaborate plots points and threads into a satisfying whole in the end? Like a detective story?
Basically, yes. The ingenuity of the writing and the precious bits of foreshadowing are what really elevates the game for me. The roller coaster of intense emotions and gut-punching reveals in the true ending had me playing until the break of dawn, crying and cheering and generally just savoring the intense narrative experience. I have fantastic memories of my first playthrough.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with it all the way through to the end, despite it not really being your thing! A mixed response was probably the best case scenario here. And if you want to continue our little back-and-forth, feel free to suggest another title for me to try out anytime. :P

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 17th, 2018, 3:22 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 12:08 pm
The ingenuity of the writing and the precious bits of foreshadowing are what really elevates the game for me. The roller coaster of intense emotions and gut-punching reveals in the true ending had me playing until the break of dawn, crying and cheering and generally just savoring the intense narrative experience. I have fantastic memories of my first playthrough.
I could appreciate the cleverness, but the characters didn't really click with me. At the start of the game I often wondered why their backstories weren't filled in a bit (and of course there are reasons for that) in order to flesh them out a little. And the idea that they didn't have time for all that because of the countdown, didn't mesh with the huge chunks of exposition later on. I never really knew where I was with the game, or what to expect - I assume that now I am more familiar with the structure, the next one might be easier.
Anyway, thanks for sticking with it all the way through to the end, despite it not really being your thing! A mixed response was probably the best case scenario here. And if you want to continue our little back-and-forth, feel free to suggest another title for me to try out anytime. :P
We will have to continue this at a later date for sure. The key is to select a game with something interesting to it, not just any old run of the mill thing :)

Unrelated, but I notice you don't say much about 'immersive sims' such as the Deus Ex or Dishonored games. Is there any reason you don't play those? I would have thought they'd be right up your alley.

Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth » September 17th, 2018, 4:28 pm

The sequel doesn’t need a guide to finish and is in my opinion far superior. I would wholly recommend it!

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » September 17th, 2018, 4:57 pm

I finally found AND finished the main story in Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age. It really is a strange entry in the series. Those final bosses were the easiest things I've ever encountered in a Final Fantasy game. The story is a strange one, the combat is compelling, but, once I figured out a system that worked, I rarely adjusted my Gambit systems. Still, I missed the melodrama of FF games and had a great time getting back to one of my favorite series of old.
Now, time to see what the fuss is about FFXIII...

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » September 17th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Chopper wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 3:22 pm
I could appreciate the cleverness, but the characters didn't really click with me.
Ah, I see. The characters instantly clicked with me which is probably why I was so motivated to see their adventure through to the end. But perhaps some of the anime-tropes were a bit too much for someone without any previous experience in the genre?

Anyway, one out of two is not toooo bad, right?

Chopper wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 3:22 pm
Unrelated, but I notice you don't say much about 'immersive sims' such as the Deus Ex or Dishonored games. Is there any reason you don't play those? I would have thought they'd be right up your alley.
Bunch of reasons!

First and foremost, and perhaps it went under the rest of my temper tantrum in the RE thread, but I'm really not a fan of the first-person perspective in the vast majority of games that use it. There are exceptions of course (Halo, Metroid Prime, DOOM + various puzzle games like Portal or The Witness), but for the most part I find it to be arbitrarily restrictive, aesthetically uninspired and that it usually comes at the cost of a memorable protagonist design.

Simulations in general aren't my thing either. I think the best use of the medium is to craft intricate systems with clear internal logic, not to try to emulate reality in a comparison that will automatically end up being to the game's detriment in the long run. Realism can work in certain genres, but in action / stealth games, it almost always means "fancy long-winded unresponsive animations with a bunch of randomized factors". Now obviously, Dishonored doesn't aim for the same realism as, say, Kerbal Space Program, but a lot of its systems are nevertheless meant to simulate the protagonist's sensory experience in a way that the systems in Mark of the Ninja aren't, which inevitably leads to tangibility and readability issues. The devil is in the details on that one.

Genre hybrids are basically my repellent these days. Deus Ex HR tries to be a shooter, a stealth game, and a branching dialogue-based RPG all at the same time. But because it spreads itself so thin, it's either a mediocre FPS or a barely above average stealth game no matter which way you choose. It simply doesn't have the mechanical polish of curated experiences such as Halo or Splinter Cell. And the branching story ends up cannibalising itself at the cost of Adam's characterization in my eyes, like I explained after playing Dr. Dekker. Plus a progression system that arbitrarily locks important upgrades behind hours of grinding... *sigh*

So yeah, first person immersive stealth games are just not my cup of tea, I'm afraid. I played a bit of Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay on Xbox, but I couldn't make it past the first few hours. I don't play on PC and I hear the PS2 port is trash, so I've never had the opportunity to try out the original Deus Ex. I bought Human Revolution at launch because the trailers looked so promising, and while I found enough about it to like (some of the visual design is very pretty and the social commentary is interesting enough), I had to give up on it later on due to the aforementioned reasons. Plus I was trying to play it as a pure stealth game and customized my character accordingly and hit a brick wall on one of the bosses. I hear they've rectified that in the Director's Cut, but it was too little too late for me at that point.

I tried a few hours of the first Dishonored at a friend's place, and it didn't really grab me. Everything I've since heard about the game confirms my suspicion of it simply not being my thing. My idea of a great stealth game is one that can be "ghosted", which means played through without any kills or alerts and only minimal item usage. I really need that high skill ceiling to motivate me through, even on my initial failure-prone playthrough. Hitman for example is absolutely marvelous in that regard. But Dishonored wasn't built for that. One of the panel members (Josh, I think?) on the CaR issue apparently shares my tastes and expressed great frustration at the game because of it.

Basically, I'm a very difficult customer! I love stealth games in theory, but there are very few that I consider "great" in practice. The next one on my list is Styx, because that one seems to tick most of my boxes.

PS: For the record, I think both of them are perfectly fine games with some great qualities, but nothing that gets my blood pumping.

PPS: I'm perfectly willing to step outside of my comfort zone following your recommendation, of course. :)
Spoiler: show
Uh-oh, I sense a Prey Mooncrash shill incoming! Any minute now... :lol:

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » September 17th, 2018, 6:11 pm

February 4th - DOOM (Switch)
February 7th - Oxenfree (Switch)
February 17th - Steamworld Dig 2 (Switch)
February 25th - The Fall Part 2: Unbound (Switch)
February 28th - Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (Switch)
March 4th - Subsurface Circular (Switch)
March 28th - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
April 4th - Floor kids (Switch)
April 9th - Rime (Switch)
May 6th - Celeste (Switch)
May 7th - Nintendo Labo (RC Car / Motorbike)
May 30th - Axiom Verge (Switch)
July 17th - Wolfenstein II: The new Colossus (Switch)
July 20th - Golf Story (Switch)
July 23rd - Inside (Switch)

September 17th - Human fall flat (Switch)

Man, I'm on a frustrating roll. Games I can't quite beat and add to the list (Dead Cells), games I've bounced off of (The Sexy Brutale) and games I've put loads of time into but which don't likely count here (Rocket League, Splatoon 2).

Thought Human Fall Flat might break the bad run and provide some light relief.

OH. MY. GOD. HOW. WRONG. I. WAS.

I think, in theory, I like this game. The physics based puzzles are probably the cleverest I've played outside of a Portal game, it looks nice, the music is quirky and it has an interesting way of making you learn the controls.

But, Christ, is it maddening to control. I nearly always knew what to do, but getting the floppy little fucker to do it was like performing root canal surgery on myself in the dark. The controls are infuriating. I nearly snapped my Switch in two on multiple occasions, and I am NOT someone who gets riled by a game.

In fact I got so curious with it, I had to put it down several times and refused to go back to it. But I'm someone who needs closure once I begin a game, and I kept coming back to it to see it through.

I honestly don't know why. I don't feel good having done so. The ending wasn't life changing. I wouldn't say I'd recommend it to anyone unless you have friends to tackle it with. I just have a compulsive need to get things off my plate.

But it's over. I'm free. I no longer will need to consult a YouTube walkthrough (of someone magically beating the entire game in 7 minutes) to make sure my hunch is correct, before spending an hour attempting to whack a crate off of a high ledge and lodge it under a makeshift ramp.

Human Fall Flat, then. I'd skip it.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » September 17th, 2018, 7:47 pm

^^^ @seansthomas this whole post is hilarious.

@simonsloth - noted!

@KSubzero1000 well, nobody can say you haven't thought it through :P

I thought the Dishonored games could be ghosted, or at least I remember the first one seemed to have a bug where the no-kill run always resulted in a single unknowable kill. I hadn't thought that the simulation meant a simulation of reality, but merely a bunch of simulated systems that you interact with via a subset of very specific tools. Anyway!
KSubzero1000 wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 5:19 pm
The next one on my list is Styx, because that one seems to tick most of my boxes.
I lasted maybe 15 minutes with Styx. Should be right up your alley :D
KSubzero1000 wrote:
Ah, I see. The characters instantly clicked with me which is probably why I was so motivated to see their adventure through to the end. But perhaps some of the anime-tropes were a bit too much for someone without any previous experience in the genre?
Not even that, I'm not familiar enough with them to even identify what tropes were used. But there was a complete lack of characterisation at the start. Here is a woman dressed as a belly dancer. Here is a blind guy who is dressed like a prince etc. No other detail is given, nor are any of them questioned as to their background. I thought that was odd.
KSubzero1000 wrote:
Uh-oh, I sense a Prey Mooncrash shill incoming! Any minute now... :lol:
Not at all!

*surreptitiously hides a piece of paper with 'MoOncarsh' written on it*

I thought about shilling for the game a bit in this forum, as quite a few people here played the base game, but I can't be bothered really. There is a decent video by Skill Up that I was going to post in the criticism thread but it's a little hectoring in tone, and we don't want that :)

No, will think of something better.