The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
KSubzero1000

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 15th, 2018, 10:18 am

Suits wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 9:50 am
Have they said who is doing the new Pokemon game ??
Unsurprisingly, it seems to be Game Freak again.

Suits

Post by Suits » May 15th, 2018, 10:30 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 10:18 am
Unsurprisingly, it seems to be Game Freak again.
Yes, so it would be.

Forgive my Pokemon naivety, it's generally not something I follow.

Suits

Post by Suits » May 15th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Suits wrote:
May 12th, 2018, 9:48 pm
Right, this is clearly a mistake but I've ordered it anyway.

The normal game is £44.99, this edition from Nintendo, is £79.99

Here it is in Argos, for £31.99

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8153557

It may not let you order it but if you add something cheap to your basket as well (I did a £2.99 Lego thing) then it will let you order it.

Worth a go.
Busted. As predicted, Argos just emailed me to say that due to an obvious pricing error this order has been cancelled.

Looks like I'm still getting my Lego today though :lol: .

They gave me a £5 e-voucher to say sorry too.

He who dares....

chase210

Post by chase210 » May 15th, 2018, 12:36 pm

It's possible Pokemon Switch titles have leaked, an anonymous user in 4chan claimed that next Pokemon game for Switch will have two versions, and be called Pokemon Let's Go! Pikachu and Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee. Not only does this line up with information we already have, it lines up with merchandising and a possible leaked screenshot.

Craig

Post by Craig » May 15th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Eevee is massive in Japan. Was surprised how much merch it had in the Pokemon Centre.

Still not believing anything until I hear it (especially around this time of year) but yeah, I could see it happening.

kintaris

Post by kintaris » May 15th, 2018, 11:28 pm

chase210 wrote:
May 15th, 2018, 12:36 pm
It's possible Pokemon Switch titles have leaked, an anonymous user in 4chan claimed that next Pokemon game for Switch will have two versions, and be called Pokemon Let's Go! Pikachu and Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee. Not only does this line up with information we already have, it lines up with merchandising and a possible leaked screenshot.
I have since read that this "leaked" branding started life as a joke on ResetEra, then 4chan got hold of it and ran with it.

However as Craig mentioned Eevee is immensely popular in the Pokemon Centers with their own bespoke merchandise, so it's not such a crazy thought.

chase210

Post by chase210 » May 16th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Well Let's go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee have both been trademarked by the same company that trademarked Sun and Moon!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 16th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Is it just me or is the Splatoon 2 single player brilliant?

Full of fun and variety, I feel like I’ve done a fair bit and I’m only on the boss of Sector 2. The last level I did (you can do them in whatever order you find them) was superb, with shades of Sonic & Jet Set Radio with the rail grinding. The twin pistols level is ace too. It’s all been really good fun so far!

So glad I took the gamble on this game having never really got on with the Wii U original. I love the multiplayer now and the single player being this good was basically a bonus. Love it

chase210

Post by chase210 » May 16th, 2018, 8:41 pm

I have only just discovered that the master sword can be used in Breath of The Wild to cut the legs off guardians and turn them into helpless turtles!

kintaris

Post by kintaris » May 16th, 2018, 8:44 pm

chase210 wrote:
May 16th, 2018, 6:05 pm
Well Let's go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee have both been trademarked by the same company that trademarked Sun and Moon!
Ah OK, I hadn't heard that part! Intriguing. I hope it's not too lightweight, like a Nintendogs for Pokemon, but equally I don't need a new standard Pokemon experience right now either. Just give me a new Pokemon Snap damn it!

Craig

Post by Craig » May 16th, 2018, 11:52 pm

There’s rumours of Pokémon Go integration, which would definitely prick a lot of the gaming sphere the wrong way, but again I could see it happening. It’s still making a ton of money especially with folk not usually into games, and Pokémon has always tried to cast a wide net.

I liked Pokémon Go at the start, but got bored after not really having much to do with the Pokémon after I had caught them. If they can make that a bit more engaging on the console version, I’d be into it.

But then I’m also a chump who’s just straight up buy an HD 3D remake of Red and Blue.

Suits

Post by Suits » May 17th, 2018, 6:36 am

chase210 wrote:
May 16th, 2018, 8:41 pm
I have only just discovered that the master sword can be used in Breath of The Wild to cut the legs off guardians and turn them into helpless turtles!
Ha, I didn’t know that !!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 21st, 2018, 1:37 pm

Here's a thing: http://www.appy-gamer.com/Web/ArticleWe ... urce=drive

Resi 7 coming to Switch.

Sort of.

It's a streamed only game and only availble in Japan, but it shows Nintendo is clearly exploring the idea of a streaming games service. Maybe?

Craig

Post by Craig » May 21st, 2018, 2:14 pm

There's already Phantasy Star Online 2 streaming in Japan on Switch, and previously Dragon Quest X streaming to 3DS (!).

This seems a bit of a different kettle of fish though. A single player experience rather than an RPG, but I'm interested in it from a tech stand point. I'm not a huge fan of renting games (though this pricing model certainly suits an MMO) but for 2000 yen, and a game I probably wouldn't come back to after 180 days, it's not a bad prospect. I won't be making the jump for this one, but if Capcom decide to roll it out for Monster Hunter World I could certainly be tempted.

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » May 22nd, 2018, 9:27 am

hazeredmist wrote:
May 16th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Full of fun and variety, I feel like I’ve done a fair bit and I’m only on the boss of Sector 2. The last level I did (you can do them in whatever order you find them) was superb, with shades of Sonic & Jet Set Radio with the rail grinding. The twin pistols level is ace too. It’s all been really good fun so far!

So glad I took the gamble on this game having never really got on with the Wii U original. I love the multiplayer now and the single player being this good was basically a bonus. Love it
I think the multiplayer in 2 is a real step up, but I never enjoyed the single player campaign half as much as I did on the original. I honestly regard that original playthrough as being the spiritual successor to Mario Galaxy in terms of control and total joy.

Hoping the expanded DLC inbound returns to that level of brilliance!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 22nd, 2018, 3:17 pm

seansthomas wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 9:27 am
hazeredmist wrote:

I think the multiplayer in 2 is a real step up, but I never enjoyed the single player campaign half as much as I did on the original. I honestly regard that original playthrough as being the spiritual successor to Mario Galaxy in terms of control and total joy.

Interesting - I had Splatoon on Wii U but it didn’t get its hooks into me at all, single player or multiplayer. 2 has been so different, I think the controls finally gelling has helped a lot in my case. It’s a fantastic game and a lot more than it seems at first. If the single player on 1 is in the same league as 2 I regret not putting more time into it! Will definitely want that DLC for when I finish this campaign. Wonder how expensive it’ll be...

seansthomas

Post by seansthomas » May 22nd, 2018, 7:15 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 3:17 pm
seansthomas wrote:
May 22nd, 2018, 9:27 am
hazeredmist wrote:

Interesting - I had Splatoon on Wii U but it didn’t get its hooks into me at all, single player or multiplayer. 2 has been so different, I think the controls finally gelling has helped a lot in my case. It’s a fantastic game and a lot more than it seems at first. If the single player on 1 is in the same league as 2 I regret not putting more time into it! Will definitely want that DLC for when I finish this campaign. Wonder how expensive it’ll be...
I'm wondering that too. Guessing £15-20? Guess we'll see soon enough!

Looks fun:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... _expansion

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » May 22nd, 2018, 9:12 pm

The Mega Man Legacy Collections are out on the Switch eShop today at £11.99 each. I’ve never played a Mega Man game before but wouldn’t mind trying one at that price and seeing how I get on. Which one though? Collection 1 has the first six games, and 2 has games 7-10. Any recommendations on which is the best set for a noob to start with please?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 22nd, 2018, 9:28 pm

Mega Man 2 is often considered to be one of the highlights of the franchise, although it should be said that the original series can be rather unforgiving and off-putting for newcomers.

On the other hand, the X series is usually viewed as more accessible, with the first one in particular having one of the best designed tutorial level in the medium. The X collection releases next month, so that would be another option to see if the series clicks with you. I'm very much looking forward to that one myself!

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 22nd, 2018, 9:33 pm

Also worth checking out the recent C&R on Mega Man and Mega Man 2 (can't remember if any others were mentioned, in fact). I only ever played the first 3 on the NES but haven't revisited in thirty years. I was wondering about this exact same question...