The Nintendo news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Suits

Re: The Nintendo news and discussion thread

Post by Suits » September 16th, 2018, 8:31 am

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
September 15th, 2018, 11:04 pm
You have a point. But I do already have a NES mini, so there’s not really much benefit to the service at all.
No, that’s right. If you have a NES mini, the original carts still or these games already downloaded elsewhere then I understand it may not be for you.

The only added benefit would be that they are now handheld, have multiplayer functionality and leaderboards.

Where for some, that’s easily enough to warrant the £18 a year.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 16th, 2018, 8:34 am

dezm0nd wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 6:28 am
I’m probably reading too much into it but the short trailer for LM3 shows a really tall mansion behind the logo indicating that it’s going to be one massive mansion rather than progressing back and forth. Either way I’m very excited!
Another thing I’ve noticed is that the new Poltergust gives out a gust of air that seems to throw Luigi into the air.

Perhaps they’ve added the ability to jump...

Suits

Post by Suits » September 17th, 2018, 8:44 am

Turns out that the Australian Nintendo store specifically states that those NES controllers are for use only with the NES games Library available to Nintendo Online subscribers.

I can only really image playing those games in handheld mode personally, which makes those pads pretty useless.

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle » September 17th, 2018, 10:19 am

I've found the first ever good piece of news about Switch Online! You can use your eShop gold points to pay for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments ... ch_online/

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » September 17th, 2018, 11:12 am

Suits wrote:
September 16th, 2018, 8:34 am
dezm0nd wrote:
September 14th, 2018, 6:28 am
I’m probably reading too much into it but the short trailer for LM3 shows a really tall mansion behind the logo indicating that it’s going to be one massive mansion rather than progressing back and forth. Either way I’m very excited!
Another thing I’ve noticed is that the new Poltergust gives out a gust of air that seems to throw Luigi into the air.

Perhaps they’ve added the ability to jump...

That trailer, among other things, has gotten me to play Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. I've been playing it a bunch and it's been fantastic so far. I'm optimistic for Nintendo's 2019 outlook even if the rest of 2018 is a bit thin. I have too much to play as it is so I can wait a little while longer for these big releases.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 17th, 2018, 11:22 am

BrianEdwards wrote:
September 17th, 2018, 11:12 am
That trailer, among other things, has gotten me to play Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. I've been playing it a bunch and it's been fantastic so far. I'm optimistic for Nintendo's 2019 outlook even if the rest of 2018 is a bit thin. I have too much to play as it is so I can wait a little while longer for these big releases.
Ah, cool. I very recently played through it and enjoyed it also.

Yes, Nintendo fans seem to be rather buoyant about 2019 - I for one, am one of those.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » September 19th, 2018, 12:17 am

I'm going to take a different tact of, instead of complaining about the underwhelming Switch Online features, I'm going to try and be constructive.

Here is a wish list of games that would sweeten the deal (and boy, these are wishes, for there are hurdles):

Famicom/NES games: Summer '92 Carnival Recca (which did get a 3DS release), Gun Nac (okay... there may be a bit of a shmup theme unfolding here...), Sweet Home...

Super Famicom/SNES: Rendering Ranger R2, Magical Pop'n, Umihara Kawase, Sonic Blastman 2, Sutte Hakkun...

Not the most extensive list (and not all of them necessarily being great games either), and there's more I'd add to that, but I guess the point I wanted to make is: all those games that I mentioned are crazy expensive were you to purchase them legally. Rom's, as illegal as they are, are probably the only opportunity most people will have to access and play games like those.

Having an online digital service is an opportunity to provide legal access, and to protect intellectual property, and really, to make a ton of money. Again, there are hurdles to bringing certain titles to a service, however not providing alternatives to illegal roms only makes people seek out illegal roms.

Again, trying to be constructive in criticism.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » September 19th, 2018, 5:43 am

Well, it's up and it works just fine. Little affection for the NES era though at my end and I don't think even the classics have held up particularly well. All working flawlessly though, so I'll be interested in how they develop this service further at some point.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » September 19th, 2018, 11:37 am

The presentation of the NES app is sublime. Runs seemlessly and is so much slicker than the Wii U gamepad version.

I just have little love for NES games anymore but here’s to more later on!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 19th, 2018, 11:45 am

SMB3 is all right.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 19th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Famicom Disk version of Zelda is pretty cool mind with the added chip tunes.

I’ve not actually messed with it all myself yet mind.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » September 19th, 2018, 4:19 pm

ratsoalbion wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 11:45 am
SMB3 is all right.
Yeah it’s one of my favourites but as a whole, I find it (the NES) really hard to get back into.

Even Mega Man 2, Dr Mario and other NES classics would have a hard time getting my attention when there’s hundreds of other games I’ve missed

Having said that Ivy and I did play then first four levels of SMB3 and then whilst I was on my Switch I tried out the SMO Balloon mode for the first time.

Turns out I’ve not played my Switch for ages, properly. Need to rectify that... needs Smash!

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 19th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Title updates out for MK8DX, Splatoon 2 and Mario + Rabbids.

KissMammal

Post by KissMammal » September 19th, 2018, 5:12 pm

dezm0nd wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 4:19 pm
ratsoalbion wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 11:45 am
SMB3 is all right.
I find it (the NES) really hard to get back into.

Even Mega Man 2, Dr Mario and other NES classics would have a hard time getting my attention when there’s hundreds of other games I’ve missed
Same for me - on the whole I find 8 bit and earlier games too simplistic, too difficult and too arcadey to be anything more than a momentary distraction (SMB3 aside) and aren't really worth revisiting as anything other than a curio if you don't have a well of nostalgia for them. I consider even the NES iterations of Metroid, Zelda and Mega Man mostly as primitive blueprints for what came later, which is why I passed on the NES Classic. For me the SNES era is really where console gaming came of age.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » September 19th, 2018, 5:52 pm

Aye, tried every game for 1-3 mins and deleted this.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 19th, 2018, 6:03 pm

I thought we were on the cultured and appreciative Cane and Rinse forum. You want The Computer Game Show leds!
;)

I’m only joking, this reflects just how Jay is when he has to find assets for 8-bit games that we so lovingly cover.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 19th, 2018, 6:38 pm

All valid preferences, of course.

Personally, I love the 8-Bit stuff. Not always so much in terms of gameplay but more so in character, charm and concept.

Often they are loving crafted by small teams with mighty imagination and limited tech.

They are the building blocks of what we all play today and because of this I find them utterly compelling from the sprites, the chip tunes the box art and names they have.

I love the stories behind them, the original concepts and the lineage everything has.

Because of this, the fact that Nintendo are almost encouraging all Swicth owners to have these games at system level gives people a history of the medium on each system.

The execution might not be perfect but I very much enjoy the idea behind it.

I won’t play them all but knowing that they are there makes me feel fuzzy inside.

More please.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 19th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Is there a different set of games on the Japanese service? Because apparently a single EU subscription will get you access to both if you sign in on a Japanese a/c.

Suits

Post by Suits » September 19th, 2018, 6:53 pm

Zelda is the Famicom Disc system version, which has a few extra channels of audio due to the systems wavetable audio.

Not sure on actual listed games.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » September 19th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Right-o!