FTL: Faster Than Light

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DarthCuddles

FTL: Faster Than Light

Post by DarthCuddles »

so if none of you know FTL the video above should show what this game is, but if you can't be bothered to watch it or whatever I'll give it a brief summary. FTL is a Rougelike in space, where you control a single ship its systems and crew members.

I bought it last night and have so far clocked up 11ish hours of play time and can say I am loving it, there is something wonderful about being able to starve rooms of Oxygen to put out fires while you're crew battles a bunch of mantis-alien invaders that have boarded your ship, while re routing power from the engines to power your shields.

so has anyone else played it what do you think?

and if you haven't it's available through Steam here or on the official website here it's not exactly technically demanding so I think most PCs should run it.
Leg of Time

Re: FTL: Faster Than Light

Post by Leg of Time »

This game is excellent! Backed it on KickStarter so have been playing for the last week (early access).

It's hitting me with the 'one more turn' bug like turn-based strategy games. Really like the mix of weapons, can have very different tactics from one life to the other. And am really liking the random encounters, think the writing of them is really good!

Still only got to the end once. Have tried both easy and normal difficulties but for some reason not seeing much difference. Getting more scrap on easy but still get caught out by an enemy...
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Roguelike. In space.

One day, I will play this game!
DarthCuddles

Post by DarthCuddles »

so far the best I have done is beaten the first stage of the boss, then got destroyed completely by the second stage.

I love this game but, in the same breath, fuck this game

[
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

reminds me a lot of some of my early PC gaming experiences.
only £5, and I've certainly got my moneys worth out of it playing over the weekend.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Really enjoying FTL so far. Things always seem to go pear-shaped when I get boarded for some reason :-(
The randomness of it all can be plain brutal at times but that's why I love it.
Music is ace too
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

Benjo321 wrote:Really enjoying FTL so far. Things always seem to go pear-shaped when I get boarded for some reason :-(
The randomness of it all can be plain brutal at times but that's why I love it.
Music is ace too
Christ! Things can go really bad, really quickly.
Managed to destroy a pirate ship yesterday, but upon repairing my sensors, every room between my crew and the o2 room was on fire, none of the crew managed to get there on time :(
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

RoboticMonk3y wrote: Christ! Things can go really bad, really quickly.
Managed to destroy a pirate ship yesterday, but upon repairing my sensors, every room between my crew and the o2 room was on fire, none of the crew managed to get there on time :(
Yeah, on one go I investigated a planet and lost a crew mate, then on the next screen a solar flare killed my door control and set fire to 3 rooms :cry:
That was a very short game!
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

my first encounter, I got hit in my 02 room, took me a while to figure out how to move and repair.
I wasn't quick enough.
on my second go, I bumped the difficulty down to easy...