Dark Souls I, II and III

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Rich

Re: Dark Souls

Post by Rich »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:
Rich wrote:I disagree about Demon's Souls. I personally find it much harder than Dark Souls. I still can't finish Demon's Souls.
Oh, I'm not saying that I find Demon's Souls easier than Dark Souls, just that it gets easier as you progress. Personally I find the number of non-respawning enemies and unlockable shortcuts in Dark Souls to be a significant concession to the player.

Where are you stuck in Demon's Souls, Rich? If I can offer any help I'd be more than happy to.
I was stuck at Old King Allant I just couldn't seem to do much damage to him. I haven't really played for a while so I'm starting fresh when I get back into it properly.
James

Post by James »

Old King Allant can be easily beaten with Thief's Ring and Poison Mist. Cheap, perhaps, but it'll save frustration and help you finish the game in about an hour.
Your fresh start may as well be NG+, unless you're averse to non-confrontational (some would say exploitative) means of dispatching bosses. :-)

Quick question: does anyone know if/where in Dark Souls the player is informed that they must be cursed to fight the ghosts in New Londo Ruins? I can't think that I've ever seen that said in-game. :shock:
FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

I certainly can't remember being told, but given that 90% of my game I spent cursed having 'accidentally' killed the vendor in the watchtower after the gargoyle demon thus making it near impossible to know how to remove the curses i picked up in the sewer part, I just assumed it was implied. It would come as no surprise to me if they 'hilariously' didnt mention it, as its not a trope that I seem to remember in demon's souls either.
James

Post by James »

FollowMyRuin wrote:I certainly can't remember being told, but given that 90% of my game I spent cursed having 'accidentally' killed the vendor in the watchtower after the gargoyle demon thus making it near impossible to know how to remove the curses i picked up in the sewer part, I just assumed it was implied. It would come as no surprise to me if they 'hilariously' didnt mention it, as its not a trope that I seem to remember in demon's souls either.
Yikes! :shock:

It's now possible to buy Purging Stones from the female Undead Merchant (for a little more than from Oswald). A concession made in one of the big patches I think. First time I wandered into New Londo Ruins I certainly had no inkling that I wouldn't be able to damage the ghosts - it was quite a shock, needless to say!
FollowMyRuin

Post by FollowMyRuin »

I think I mentioned earlier, I didn't patch the game. A combination of disgraceful Internet speeds at home and playing the PS3 version so patching is a massive barrier. When I eventually did get to a point where the barrier of being cursed was too crippling. I had to travel down the great hollow and farm purging stones from the clam enemies.

It's partly the reason I can't imagine replaying this, and also a reason I have fonder memories of demon's souls' hub system, not making lengthy, risky, frustrating journeys for small things. Note: this was before I could warp.
Rich

Post by Rich »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:Old King Allant can be easily beaten with Thief's Ring and Poison Mist. Cheap, perhaps, but it'll save frustration and help you finish the game in about an hour.
Your fresh start may as well be NG+, unless you're averse to non-confrontational (some would say exploitative) means of dispatching bosses. :-)

Quick question: does anyone know if/where in Dark Souls the player is informed that they must be cursed to fight the ghosts in New Londo Ruins? I can't think that I've ever seen that said in-game. :shock:
I really try to avoid cheap methods but at least then I can say I've beaten Demon's Souls.

You pick up some Transient Curses at the entrance to New Londo Ruins and the item description is
"Limb of the victim of a curse. Temporary curse allows engagement with ghosts.
The only way to fight back against ghosts, who are cursed beings, is to become cursed oneself.
The safest method, however dreadful, is to cut off an arm of the dead."

Also Ingward can cure your curse and being cursed means you can fight the ghosts so getting to him is pretty easy. It cost's one humanity from him.

If you buy something from super cool Domhnall of Zena he'll tell you about needing a curse to fight ghosts.
I can see the path where you could accidentally get cursed in the depths, talk to Domhnall, fight ghosts, speak to Ingward and cure curse. It's basically a breadcrumb trail! :lol:

I was sure an NPC had told me about being able to cure a curse but I can't find out who it was if it happened. Maybe I imagined it.
Rich

Post by Rich »

SL1 progress.
No screenshot or video of Seath but he's dead and I caught a couple of post kill screenshots for Nito and Demon Firesage.

Just Centepede Demon and Bed of Chaos to go now and I can go and give Gwyn a kicking.
James

Post by James »

Rich wrote:I really try to avoid cheap methods but at least then I can say I've beaten Demon's Souls.
It's a pretty straightforward method. Have Thief's Ring and Poison Cloud equipped (not Mist, I'm getting my Souls confused). Have the Fragrant Ring and a Crescent Weapon equipped to regen MP (if you have them) and some Spice on hand too.

The method in excruciating detail below:
Spoiler: show
When you enter the Old King Allant fight move immediately to the bottom of the stairs at the left or right, out of his sight. Once he has walked forward and turned away from you start to creep slowly up the stairs. Sticking to the wall on whichever side you're on. You can get almost to the top, but keep casting Poison Cloud to check whether you're close enough. It's possible to be close enough to hit him and far enough away that he won't attack. It'll take a fair few casts, and it's tough to spot if Poison Cloud has taken effect, but it works and will save frustration if you have a character build that isn't ideal for fighting Allant.
Also, a SL1 run on Dark Souls scares and appeals to me in equal measure. Congratulations on getting so close to the end; make sure to post here once you're done.
Rich

Post by Rich »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:
Rich wrote:I really try to avoid cheap methods but at least then I can say I've beaten Demon's Souls.
It's a pretty straightforward method. Have Thief's Ring and Poison Cloud equipped (not Mist, I'm getting my Souls confused). Have the Fragrant Ring and a Crescent Weapon equipped to regen MP (if you have them) and some Spice on hand too.

The method in excruciating detail below:
Spoiler: show
When you enter the Old King Allant fight move immediately to the bottom of the stairs at the left or right, out of his sight. Once he has walked forward and turned away from you start to creep slowly up the stairs. Sticking to the wall on whichever side you're on. You can get almost to the top, but keep casting Poison Cloud to check whether you're close enough. It's possible to be close enough to hit him and far enough away that he won't attack. It'll take a fair few casts, and it's tough to spot if Poison Cloud has taken effect, but it works and will save frustration if you have a character build that isn't ideal for fighting Allant.
Also, a SL1 run on Dark Souls scares and appeals to me in equal measure. Congratulations on getting so close to the end; make sure to post here once you're done.
I'll give it a try next time I get on the PS3.

Just try it. Nothing was all that hard until Ornstein and Smough and even then it was only bosses that had any challenge. I've really enjoyed it. I'm at Gwyn now and for the first time I feel like I'm just not equipped to deal with it. I'll keep hammering away at it.
I could do with upgrading my Fire Battle Axe but I killed all of the blacksmiths because I thought I was done with them.
James

Post by James »

Rich wrote:I could do with upgrading my Fire Battle Axe but I killed all of the blacksmiths because I thought I was done with them.
You can't farm the Titanite and upgrade it at the bonfire? Probably a silly question, but I thought I'd ask nonetheless (it's late, I'm tired). ;)
Rich

Post by Rich »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:
Rich wrote:I could do with upgrading my Fire Battle Axe but I killed all of the blacksmiths because I thought I was done with them.
You can't farm the Titanite and upgrade it at the bonfire? Probably a silly question, but I thought I'd ask nonetheless (it's late, I'm tired). ;)
No it's +5 already so I'd need Vamos to ascend it.
I'll get it done eventually but I'm taking a break at the moment.

I did finally finish Demon's Souls though. New game plus is no joke is it?
James

Post by James »

Rich wrote:I did finally finish Demon's Souls though. New game plus is no joke is it?
I haven't started NG+ yet. I'm planning to record 1-1 in NG+ for a Quick Rinse so that should make for a fun time!
Rich

Post by Rich »

I can't do this!!!
I'm so tempted to go and level up! I've got a +14 Uchigatana and a +14 Claymore ready that I could happily wreck Gwyn with if I level up!
James

Post by James »

DON'T DO IT!

All your hard effort and patience will be for nought. Take stock, strategise and sleep on it. Of course, I have no specific advice, but in general terms those usually help me. :)
Rich

Post by Rich »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:DON'T DO IT!

All your hard effort and patience will be for nought. Take stock, strategise and sleep on it. Of course, I have no specific advice, but in general terms those usually help me. :)
Thanks!
I'm playing on PC so I made a backup of my save before Gywn and I've levelled up 44 times in one go! It's fun but neither of my +14 weapons are matching my +5 lightning battleaxe for damage. I'm enjoying being able to wear armour though.

I'll probably go back to my old save very soon.
James

Post by James »

Finished Bed Of Chaos this morning (in Dark Souls, not a comment on my sleeping habits). From Software were really trolling the player in this fight - it's completely counter-intuitive when set against what each previous boss has taught the player. Can't wait to discuss the variety and purpose of the bosses in the podcast next week.

I've got an outstanding Prowler Demon in Lost Izalith, but otherwise I think it's to The Catacombs I head. I haven't ventured further than the welcome text upon leaving the graveyard in the Firelink Shrine, so I have very little idea of what I'm facing in there. :?

Oh, crap! I never did go back to the Demon Ruins for those items in the lava. Tally ho! :!:
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Was off sick the other day and in my weakened state killed the Bed of Chaos & the four kings! now to pop down to that gravelord now !
Rich

Post by Rich »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:Finished Bed Of Chaos this morning (in Dark Souls, not a comment on my sleeping habits). From Software were really trolling the player in this fight - it's completely counter-intuitive when set against what each previous boss has taught the player. Can't wait to discuss the variety and purpose of the bosses in the podcast next week.

I've got an outstanding Prowler Demon in Lost Izalith, but otherwise I think it's to The Catacombs I head. I haven't ventured further than the welcome text upon leaving the graveyard in the Firelink Shrine, so I have very little idea of what I'm facing in there. :?

Oh, crap! I never did go back to the Demon Ruins for those items in the lava. Tally ho! :!:
Go get that Titanite Demon! There's something worth seeing on the other side.

Bed Of Chaos is the worst part of either Souls game. At least the Dragon God in Demon's was easy to just pay attention to and get through in one go.
James

Post by James »

Rich wrote:Go get that Titanite Demon! There's something worth seeing on the other side.
I took it down. Pretty tense on the bridge overlooking the lava and Bounding Demons, but oh, so satisfying. Behind it I had already been to open up a shortcut (Solaire is there now). :P
Rich

Post by Rich »

iwatttfodiwwfa wrote:
Rich wrote:Go get that Titanite Demon! There's something worth seeing on the other side.
I took it down. Pretty tense on the bridge overlooking the lava and Bounding Demons, but oh, so satisfying. Behind it I had already been to open up a shortcut (Solaire is there now). :P
i really want to save Solaire but I always forget I can before it's too late.