Formula One

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
Alex79

Re: Formula One

Post by Alex79 »

Oh no! He was one of my favourite characters in Drive To Survive!
Seph

Post by Seph »

Come on Alex, this means we now get more time with the Horner and Wolff families. Don't you want to know what Horner's kids like to eat for breakfast? Netflix certainly thinks so, as that gets more time than actual team news or anything that the likes of Sergio Perez have to say.

Gunther Steiner was always the most entertaining man in the sport. He's really likeable and charismatic. Haas always seemed to be on verge of making a breakthrough, but it never really came together. I've really started to lose interest anyway. It doesn't help that I'm in a different time zone now and keeping up with this stuff live is impossible. And from what I can see there's been no driver line-up change at all? How boring.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Quite an interesting time in F1 right now, Lewis going to Ferrari which I didn't see coming and now the potential for Max Horner to get sacked due to abuse allegations and if he goes, Adrian Newey leaving with him (although that is just rumour at this stage). Neither of these things will make much of a difference next season I don't think but in the longer term it could lead to the downfall of Red Bull which wouldn't be a bad thing. I don't like to see the dominance we saw last season.

Netflix must be gutted, Gunther and Horner are the two people who get the most screen time in Drive to Survive. They still have Danny Riccardo though.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Pre season testing has started and Drive to Survive is back on Friday. Not long to wait now!
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

I like F1, not so much these days as its become very sterile but i will catch it if its on.

I work in the industry building stuff for Mclaren & Redbull mostly so it kinda makes me proud to see our work on TV and knowing when they crash that we will have some more work coming in lol.
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

TomFum wrote: February 27th, 2024, 7:32 pm I like F1, not so much these days as its become very sterile but i will catch it if its on.

I work in the industry building stuff for Mclaren & Redbull mostly so it kinda makes me proud to see our work on TV and knowing when they crash that we will have some more work coming in lol.
That's really cool
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm about halfway through season six of Drive To Survive and enjoying it as much as ever. Despite not having any real interest in the sport, it's a fascinating show.

One thing that puzzles me. Hamilton was world champion for 8 years, and then Max V comes along and blows him out the water. How does that happen? Is it the car? Is it the driver? A combination of the two?

And if Max is the better driver, what does that actually mean? More fearless? Faster in to corners? What does better look like?

And if it's the car, how does that happen? How do you have the best car in the world and then another team comes and beats you. But not just beats you, absolutely thrashes you. Are all F1 cars not basically the same? How do they make one car faster than the other?
Truk_Kurt

Post by Truk_Kurt »

Alex79 wrote: March 4th, 2024, 7:07 pm I'm about halfway through season six of Drive To Survive and enjoying it as much as ever. Despite not having any real interest in the sport, it's a fascinating show.

One thing that puzzles me. Hamilton was world champion for 8 years, and then Max V comes along and blows him out the water. How does that happen? Is it the car? Is it the driver? A combination of the two?

And if Max is the better driver, what does that actually mean? More fearless? Faster in to corners? What does better look like?

And if it's the car, how does that happen? How do you have the best car in the world and then another team comes and beats you. But not just beats you, absolutely thrashes you. Are all F1 cars not basically the same? How do they make one car faster than the other?
There's a lot to go into here. The most important factor is the car I think most would agree. If you take George Russell for example, he started at Williams and would be struggling to get points in each race but would sometimes overperform the cars ability which got him his move to Mercedes where he is now rarely outside the top 10 and that's because the car he's driving is better. If you think about it, these drivers on the grid are the best of the best in the world so there isn't going to be too much between them. Or maybe those top drivers like Max, Lewis and Alonso who have won multiple championships are a league above but then not much between the rest of them. Each driver has strengths and weaknesses and different driving styles, I'd recommend looking up the Youtube channel Driver 61 (the guy is the original Stig from Top Gear) who does a great job of explaining each drivers different driving styles and why that makes them the best.

In terms of how you can get cars which are so much better than others. Well just like any profession, you get engineers in those teams and car designers who are more talented than others and those are the ones who end up at the top teams. Perhaps the best example of that is a guy called Adrian Newey who is and F1 Engineer and current chief technical officer at Red Bull. He's almost the winning ticket if he is on your team as he designed all the recent Red Bulls which have been so dominant and before Red Bull was at Mclaren where he designed race winning cars too.

On your last question about how you can have the best car and then the next season a car comes and blows you out the water, well it's quite rare this happens to the extent we have seen in the past few seasons with Max, but his era of dominance also coincided with a change in F1 car specifications for the cars which were done in an effort to make races better with more overtakes, and it was simply a case of Red Bull doing a much better job at building a car to these new specs than other teams. They're set to change the car regulations again in 2026 (I think it's 2026) so the hope is that that will make the sport more competitive again.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's really interesting, thanks Kurt :)