632: Fable

This is where you'll find threads specific to the games we'll be covering in our current volume of podcasts
JaySevenZero
Admin

632: Fable

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions for the original Fable (including The Lost Chapters and Anniversary versions) for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder that where the feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but keeping it brief is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mostly reading out essays. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
ashman86

Re: 632: Fable

Post by ashman86 »

Fable is a good game that I would think back on more fondly if I were ever able to divorce the game we got from the broken promises Peter Molyneux made in the lead up to its release.

At the time preview coverage for Fable first started rolling out, my friends and I had recently fallen in love with Morrowind (I'll just quickly plug my post here on Cane and Rinse's blog: https://caneandrinse.com/the-real-reaso ... olls-game/), and we were hungry for the next epic RPG to give us the same sense of wonder and discovery as it had. Fable seemed poised to do just that.

In retrospect, it was a bit of a strange departure from Lionhead's previous releases. I was a big fan of Black and White, and I definitely associated the studio more with god games than I did with RPGs, but whatever concerns I may have had on that front were immediately allayed once I saw the game in motion in one its first trailers, which I must have played on repeat dozens of times.

In Albion (which, as an American, I didn't know beforehand was an archaic toponym for Great Britain), we were promised a fully reactive world that would age and grow as our protagonists progressed through their decades-spanning adventure. We could attack a child, we were told, and return to a village years later to find a now-scarred man who still carried a grudge. We could plant a seed and return to find a great, thriving tree. All the while, our player characters would age and scar and tan and grow as they got on in years.

What we got was a game filled to the brim with charm, English humor, and fun real-time combat but also lacking in, well, nearly everything Molyneux had claimed it would have. Aging was replaced by a superficial system that hilariously had your protagonist meeting his very young sister whilst in his own twilight years. Cities and towns were more-or-less static. And morality was confined to a binary system of goody-good and comically evil.

I like Fable. I really do. But I should have loved it.

Oh well, at least it never got old being called Arseface by the game's NPCs.