The Sony news and discussion thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ThirdDrawing

Re: The Sony news and discussion thread

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Marlew wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 8:50 am
ThirdDrawing wrote: April 1st, 2022, 7:15 pm My guess is the latter.
Because you don't want to understand the word 'both' and you're determined not to waste a good frown. Pick a position and bend reality to suit your feelings. How contemporary.

I actually laughed that you don't have an Xbox despite the irresistible temptations of backwards compatibility. I honestly couldn't write a more satisfying punchline to draw this to a close.
No, because given what Sony has done so far, I'm inclined to believe the worst.
Particularly because they're being so vague with their wording.
And I explained why I don't have an Xbox.
A) I live overseas right now and Xbox is not as popular here as in NA.
B) My games are at my parents so there wouldn't be much point in having an Xbox for BC now, would there?
You really do seem to enjoy deliberately missing the point - like how a good chunk of PSNow's new service is streaming.
Magical_Isopod wrote: April 1st, 2022, 8:49 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote: April 1st, 2022, 7:15 pm When I am not living overseas, or maybe the next time I'm visiting home, I'll be doing the same thing.
Keep an eye on their digital deals, too. There's some pretty deep discounts. I got Killer is Dead for $4, and Crazy Taxi for $2.50. Stuff like that. I find every month has new 75%+ off BC digital games, and they're cheap enough that it's like... Why not save the cash versus physical?
I don't buy digital. It's a hard and fast rule. And it's why I won't pay for either Xbox's or Sony's services.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Alex79 wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 8:20 am Whilst true that it's generally easier to play games on modern hardware wherever possible, and thinking about stuff like the NES and SNES games on the Switch with their save states and rewind features, there are still a lot of people who'd prefer to play on original hardware. There just is. It's not just the game, it's the pad, the sound of the cart slotting in, the feel of the button as you turn the console on, the old skool TV picture... That's the whole point for a lot of people.
No I get that. I have a CRT cart just for exactly that. But after a certain era, upgraded games are objectively better on newer hardware. Sonic 3 looks like ass in HD - it's designed for a CRT, and that's where it ought to play. But games designed for consoles that are ostensibly PCs - ie, the entire Xbox line - look better and play better on newer hardware, full stop. That's my point.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Magical_Isopod wrote: April 1st, 2022, 8:49 pm
ThirdDrawing wrote: April 1st, 2022, 7:15 pm When I am not living overseas, or maybe the next time I'm visiting home, I'll be doing the same thing.
Keep an eye on their digital deals, too. There's some pretty deep discounts. I got Killer is Dead for $4, and Crazy Taxi for $2.50. Stuff like that. I find every month has new 75%+ off BC digital games, and they're cheap enough that it's like... Why not save the cash versus physical?
I don't buy digital. It's a hard and fast rule. And it's why I won't pay for either Xbox's or Sony's services.
[/quote]

And I'm glad you have the capital needed to make that decision. For those of us constrained by budget, digital is a great option WHEN AT A DEEP DISCOUNT. I would absolutely never pay full-price for a full $80 release. Let alone the absurd $90 Sony is asking for now.
ThirdDrawing

Post by ThirdDrawing »

Magical_Isopod wrote: April 2nd, 2022, 1:14 pm And I'm glad you have the capital needed to make that decision. For those of us constrained by budget, digital is a great option WHEN AT A DEEP DISCOUNT. I would absolutely never pay full-price for a full $80 release. Let alone the absurd $90 Sony is asking for now.
I don't either. A lot of titles I buy after they drop in price. A lot of the recent titles I've been picking up are $40-50.
It's the rare game I'll pickup day one, mostly jrpgs.
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this question but I cannot find any exact information online.

Is it possible to play single-player, offline games on a PS5 (or indeed a PS4) without having a PSN account?

Trophies really bug me. I have no interest in them and yet when I see a game in my profile it annoys me that I don't have all the trophies. Of course I could just ignore them. Except I bloody well can't! They tickle my OCD in all the wrong ways.

I'm away on business right now so I can't check myself but when I get home I'd love to be able to just set up a new user, stay offline and play a good old single player game and party like it's 1999.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Fairly sure you have to at least set up a profile even if you never go online, which would then track trophies.
markfm007

Post by markfm007 »

You could sign in with a guest account each time you play, but you'd need to backup your save data before logging out each time. Bit of a faff but that might work for you!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I think you can also turn off trophy notifications if that bothers you. Otherwise the only thing I can suggest is just not going and looking at the trophy list!
See Mi Yah

Post by See Mi Yah »

Thanks for the replies. I'm just home and gave it a go on PS5.

Basically, you set up a new user, skip the PSN log in and just play the game offline. However the game still tracks trophies and the Trophies section of the user profile has a distinctly 'offline' look.

So trophies are baked-in to the experience no matter what you do, but this is actually an interesting option because I do appreciate how some trophies can force you to play a game in different ways (the Grounded trophy for The Last of Us being a good example).

This way I can pop in the disc (or play an installed game), play it through to completion, engage with the trophies if it's one of those rare games where the trophies seem like fun, and then just delete the entire user profile whenever I'm finished. I'll never have to look at another permanent and agonisingly incomplete trophy listing again.

I'll settle for that. A minor victory, but a victory nonetheless. Of course it's needlessly convoluted but such is the life of those on the front lines of OCD.

Cheers.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

See Mi Yah wrote: April 21st, 2022, 3:20 pm Thanks for the replies. I'm just home and gave it a go on PS5.

Basically, you set up a new user, skip the PSN log in and just play the game offline. However the game still tracks trophies and the Trophies section of the user profile has a distinctly 'offline' look.

So trophies are baked-in to the experience no matter what you do, but this is actually an interesting option because I do appreciate how some trophies can force you to play a game in different ways (the Grounded trophy for The Last of Us being a good example).

This way I can pop in the disc (or play an installed game), play it through to completion, engage with the trophies if it's one of those rare games where the trophies seem like fun, and then just delete the entire user profile whenever I'm finished. I'll never have to look at another permanent and agonisingly incomplete trophy listing again.

I'll settle for that. A minor victory, but a victory nonetheless. Of course it's needlessly convoluted but such is the life of those on the front lines of OCD.

Cheers.
Did you know you can remove games from your trophy list? I hate seeing games with low percentage scores which I’ve played once so remove those. I suppose if anything less than 100% would be tricky then this isn’t as good as your suggestion.