Whatcha Been Watching?

This is the place where you can conflab about all the other stuff besides videogames
PressEscToExit

Re: Whatcha Been Watching?

Post by PressEscToExit »

Just got done with Parks and Recreation season 3. Really funny show from some of the folks behind the US Office, which uses the same sort of documentary format but with less of a cringe factor and (for me anyway) quite a bit more warmth. The Ron Swanson character has become a bit of a Chuck Norris-esque manliness meme, and he's brilliant, but everything really hinges on Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope. Amazing energy and heart to her character. Loving it so far!

Had to resort to slightly nefarious means to see it - no idea why it's never been picked up on TV or DVD over here. Well worth checking out.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

re-watching six feet under with the missus at the moment - what a great show
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Never seen that, may have to stick Series 1 on my lovefilm list.

Picked up The Big Bang Theory series 5. It can be a divisive show, you either love it or hate it. Personally i'm firmly in the 'Love' camp, Sheldon Cooper remains a hilarious character.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Buckled Kipper wrote:I'm desperate to see that film, but as usual art house films don't make it as far as Cornwall.
Well, luck would have it that you can watch it online:

http://www.curzoncinemas.com/film_on_de ... nd-studio/

A wee bit pricey at £10, but at least the option is there :grin:
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Benjo321 wrote:
Buckled Kipper wrote:I'm desperate to see that film, but as usual art house films don't make it as far as Cornwall.
Well, luck would have it that you can watch it online:

http://www.curzoncinemas.com/film_on_de ... nd-studio/

A wee bit pricey at £10, but at least the option is there :grin:
Now that is very tempting. Cheers for the heads up.
Buckled Kipper

Post by Buckled Kipper »

Dante Fireseed wrote:re-watching six feet under with the missus at the moment - what a great show
Just loved that show. Best last episode ever.
Marcface

Post by Marcface »

Buckled Kipper wrote:
Dante Fireseed wrote:re-watching six feet under with the missus at the moment - what a great show
Just loved that show. Best last episode ever.
I wept like a baby.

And at the moment, I'm watching through The Thick Of It series 3 on netflix, so good.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Potential Berberian Sound Studio watchers: make sure you're hearing it through the best sound set-up you can and with as little ambient noise as possible.
Pro-tip.
8-)
Bakers_12

Post by Bakers_12 »

Been going mad on Netflix. been watching Louis Theroux's weird weekends & Old Hartnal era Dr Who.
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I've been watching Season 2 of Wilfred, much like the first series, it's been some funny, easy watching television
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

PressEscToExit wrote:Just got done with Parks and Recreation season 3. Really funny show from some of the folks behind the US Office, which uses the same sort of documentary format but with less of a cringe factor and (for me anyway) quite a bit more warmth. The Ron Swanson character has become a bit of a Chuck Norris-esque manliness meme, and he's brilliant, but everything really hinges on Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope. Amazing energy and heart to her character. Loving it so far!

Had to resort to slightly nefarious means to see it - no idea why it's never been picked up on TV or DVD over here. Well worth checking out.
Same as Breaking Bad. Why studios aren't busting a gut to advertise that they have BB is beyond me. Thankfully it is on Netflix (as is Parks and Recreation)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Been watching Adventure Time today. That cartoon is fucking nuts!
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Yes! Adventure Time is awesome! This is one of my favourite moments

Marcface

Post by Marcface »

NokkonWud wrote:Same as Breaking Bad. Why studios aren't busting a gut to advertise that they have BB is beyond me. Thankfully it is on Netflix (as is Parks and Recreation)
It's new season time of the year in america, lots of shows, including Parks And Recreation, start back in the next few weeks. Hurrah!
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Saw Dredd yesterday and I couldn't have hoped for a better adaptation of 2000AD's iconic Mega City lawman. Like many I was a little sceptical towards this when it was first announced, having memories of the abysmal Stallone version back in '95. But they pretty much nail it, giving this vision a gritty, grounded depth to it's post-apocalyptic cityscape. There was perhaps a moment early on that I thought Karl Urban was maybe too young to play Dredd with the comics version starting in his fifties, but from the second he's on screen he is Dredd and the fact that he never reveals his face throughout the film is to be applauded.

Alex Garland's script is tight too, giving the characters a sense of depth without revealing too much and just the right amount of snappy one-liners. I also admire the film makers for not chasing a lesser certificate too with a surprisingly graphic level of violence, at times literally splashing the screen with blood but yet never feeling overly gratuitous (well, apart from that one scene - okay, maybe two but it was done so well).
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

dezm0nd wrote:Been watching Adventure Time today. That cartoon is fucking nuts!
I fucking love adventure time.

Have you seen 'regular show'?
Roy42

Post by Roy42 »

Adventure Time annoyed the hell out of me. Regular Show I enjoyed much more, though it still doesn't stack up to Phineas and Ferb or Gravity Falls, which are my first and second favourite cartoons to have come on TV in the last five years (at least) respectively.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I've never seen any of these shows. When and where are they on? Am I too old for them? I still love Animaniacs.
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

Prometheus - wasn't expecting much but I found it dull and lifeless although very pretty to look at.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

ratsoalbion wrote:I've never seen any of these shows. When and where are they on? Am I too old for them? I still love Animaniacs.
Doesn't everyone still love Animaniacs? Adventure Time kind of fits into the same category Ren and Stimpy did, in that it's a kid's show (that isn't really for kids). Adventure Time is an acquired taste though, so if you didn't find that Destroy Old Ladies video above amusing, I wouldn't bother.