The Monster Hunter thread

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Sly Reflex

Re: The Monster Hunter thread

Post by Sly Reflex »

Over the next 3 days in my game I'm going to get 5 Great Jaggi's. Hopefully one of them drops the claw I need to upgrade my sword.

Hopefully I managed to dispatched them quicker than they come in. I think I can handle 2 at a time, but 3 or 4 would be a bit of an ask.

Something that I did mean to ask before is status effects. I think I got poisoned by one of the creepy crawlies out in the woods, I had a look through the menus and couldn't see how I was being afflicted and it wasn't apparent if I was loosing anything. I was emitting clouds though. Anybody tell me how to find out what actually happened and how it was effecting me?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

If your health bar drains and goes multi coloured, that's poison. An antidote can cure it which you can craft in the combo list
Sly Reflex

Post by Sly Reflex »

The slug things in the caves that attach to you poison you while they are attached don't they? I've not really had any status effect outside of that cloud thing popping out of me. I guess the heat thing in the dessert that kills your health bar could be considered a status effect also.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Probably not poison as you would notice your health draining pretty quick. Some affect your stamina like ice (maybe water too) making it much slower to recharge.

There's another one that blocks item usage and needs deodorant to clear
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

So I was working towards getting my Lagiacrus Armour last night but still haven't done something to make the head and waist parts available yet. Defeated 3 times and captured once but I'm still not getting the bits I need. And I'm guessing the plates must be quite rare as well, because I haven't seen any of those either :x
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I've gotten the full set of Lagiacrus armour and the weapon associated with him, the problem I have now is getting the plate which according to the players is a stupidly low drop rate of 2%. Mental.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

dezm0nd wrote:I've gotten the full set of Lagiacrus armour and the weapon associated with him, the problem I have now is getting the plate which according to the players is a stupidly low drop rate of 2%. Mental.
Two :shock:
Just had a look at my guide and it's a 4% on tail carve, 2 % on tear (knockdown when eating / flashbomb) and 3% on head break, ugh!

Looks like I'm missing his horn. Felt sure I'd broken his stupid head in.
Marcface

Post by Marcface »

Nearly got my full Jaggi armour set made now, just need to get one more G. Jaggy Claw and I'm there. PROGRESS!
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Decided to try beating Lagiacrus with a hammer to smash his head in. What a chore! They might do a lot of damage but the hit rate is bloody awful. Took 48 minutes and all my potions (and 1death) but I just about did it.

Got some of his horns finally so I just need to grind him a couple more times to get my full set built :-D
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Sounds good. Although, wasn't there supposed to be a patch for Pro Controller support too at some point?

There's also something else about the game I was wondering if someone could help me with. Is it possible to use more than one bomb on monsters? As in stacking multiple different special effects, like using a paint ball and a sonic bomb. Can you do that, or do they each cancel each other out?
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

Scrustle wrote:...There's also something else about the game I was wondering if someone could help me with. Is it possible to use more than one bomb on monsters? As in stacking multiple different special effects, like using a paint ball and a sonic bomb. Can you do that, or do they each cancel each other out?
Can't say I've tried 2 bombs at once. If the first one works, then the best plan is to attack them as much as possible while they're stunned, or lay some bomb barrels or a trap next to them.
I think some monsters are more susceptible to one bomb type than others so it might not be worth wasting different bombs on them

The paint bombs don't do any damage as far as I know, they just let you track them on the map if they move to another area of the level.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Well the reason I ask is because I tried taking on a Qurupeco, but I ran out of time. I ran out of paintballs and sonic bombs since I was squandering them because I didn't know if they were actually working. Then I wasted loads of time trying to track it down when it fled, and it kept using a cry to heal itself. It seemed to do a lot that didn't look like it had any effect though. So I don't know if the bombs were wearing off, or if they cancelled each other, or whatever was happening.
Benjo321

Post by Benjo321 »

The paintballs just wear off naturally over time, so I just lay another one on them every 5 minutes or so. With Qurupeco you can watch his shadow to see which direction he goes off in if he's not been painted, but he will keep moving about from area to area. I think he only goes to 2, 5, 7, 8 and 10.

Of all the early bosses I found that bloody parrot to be the most difficult. Whenever they're trying to heal or call for help, just bash them in the chest as much as you can. If you interrupt the health buff will go to you instead of them :D
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Cool. Thanks for the help. I had tried to follow the shadow before but it didn't turn out so well. I guess I'll just bring a whole lot more paintballs and not bother with sonic bombs next time. So far the only real monsters I've taken down are the Great Jaggi and Arzuros. Done them both quite a few times now so neither of them are really much trouble, but Qurupeco is certainly significantly trickier.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

The Gamepad only update is ready for those in the USA. Hopefully today for us but it wasn't recognised this morning.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Hang on I had an update yesterday - I thought that was it, no?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I downloaded it today and used it myself. I think I much prefer it actually being on the TV. On the pad it looks blurry and washed out, and I feel like there's a latency problem too. The already tiny text isn't scaled for the pad either, so it's even smaller.

I found that there was actually already Pro Controller support though. I must have not noticed/forgotten that update. Finding the option to use it is a bit of a pain though. It's hidden away, and you can only access is from the start menu before you boot up the game. Used that for a while, and it's not bad. Has its strengths and weaknesses. It's good to have everything on a single screen so you don't have to be looking down all the time, but it does clutter it up a bit. It's nice having the game screen completely clear of any HUD elements. But I could use either. They're about as good as each other.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Weird, my game didn't pick it up. Will try again in a bit.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

From what people are saying it sounds like a copy of the 3DS version might still be something to consider.