Titanfall and Titanfall 2

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Titanfall and Titanfall 2

Post by ratsoalbion »

I didn't play the 'tech test'/beta thing, but I was reassured by the words of Respawn as well as those of Jon Denton and David Turner on the latest Computer Game Show podcast.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

as a new comer to the series I really liked the demo. both the first and the second more adjusted one. I've never really played any online shooter games, a bit of halo 2 way back when and some CoD ghosts with my friend a few years back. despite that I found I was, after a few hours of getting used to the movement and controls, always second or even first on my team at the end. I didn't have to think a whole lot what i was supposed to do to be good. even though the enemies were human or maybe because of that I found them very predictable. now that I think on it I find it's probably because of the map desing that i found was well thought out. less knowing players would use the predictable routes and sniping points, rushing to the amp points which made them easy targets. even if they managed to hold them the maps offered many ways to flank people probaly because of the more open map desing (as much as i can tell not having played the previous one). one negative i found is that the most open map (the one with the tower in the middle) was desinged so that the other base was on higher ground and you could remain amping the base while still shooting enemies on the other side of the map even gaining a base defend kill which then gave your titan meter a huge boost. the other base on the same map was not open at all and the points where you could shoot from didn't keep the amping up and didn't reward you the base defend kill. I didn't really enjoy the titan combat but the game didn't make me do it offering the chance to let the titan follow me killing everyone it saw or ordering it to defend an amping point while i ventured out capturing other points feeling secure that as long as the titan still lived the one it was defending was safe. I could have used with more information on what was happening to the titan though. these are all examples of the hardened amp point games which i playd the most. I felt that the bounty hunt one was a bit too crazy for a lack of a better word. everyone, enemy and ally, in the same place both killing ai enemies and each other didn't sit well with me. and losing half of your hard earned bounty ondeath was just too cruel since the game is very hectic and being killed can happen in a matter of seconds. it's a great idea though just needs a bit more work. The one with out any titans was just too boring and not what the game is about. At the end of both the demos I had unlocked almost everything. to unlock stuff you had to level up your weapons and titans by killing others. it was a shame only last hitting people counted since some of the weapons vere not even made for killing pilots so for example I found leveling the grenade and rocket launcher too much of a pain. those were the only ones i could not unlock all the weapon upgrades on. all in all the multiplayer part of the game is very good and most of the problems other people had are in my opinion a bit too hasty assessments. I never had a problem getting the titan or moving around fast using the wallrun or the grapple. the maps while more open work well having only minor problems. those problems i feel are because they are desinged to work in all the modes. maybe they should have different maps for different modes. but this was just a demo so we'll see.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

sorry for the long post, wrote it on my phone in a hurry so it's a bit unreadable
Stanshall

Titanfall 2

Post by Stanshall »

Never played the first game, heard lots of word of mouth around this, bought it somewhat impulsively given I've barely had time to commit to BF1 properly.

The campaign is really very good indeed. Quite affecting at times, lots of personality and lots of one-off mechanical and environmental ideas. Plenty of creativity and I really hope it does well. I would actually say it's up there with the best FPS campaigns I've played.

I've edited out a minor complaint about the MP which basically comes down to 'I bought BF1 as well and don't have time to play both'. Aww, diddums. I think I'll focus on this for a couple of months because BF1 is likely to endure for a good year or two.
Jusifer

Re: Titanfall 2

Post by Jusifer »

so how many have of you have beaten lastimosa's time in the gauntlet? it's a really fun time trial and gives you a way to improve your game. there are already of course some crazy times on youtube but don't let it get you down :D
Pitwar

Post by Pitwar »

Polished off the campaign at the weekend after saving it to play on the Pro, and what a campaign it was too.

Not only that, playing the game in 4K with all the graphical improvements the Pro gives, makes an already great looking game even better.

Now to get my focus back on the multiplayer.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

Any fears that the multiplayer wouldn't be as great as the original are now gone. Over familiarity with the original will make you brush up uncomfortably with the changes at first, but you soon adapt and everything locks into place the same way it did in the original. It's a blast. I'm using a cloak/assault rifle pilot build along with Tone as my Titan. Wanted to love the grappling hook, but it just doesn't suit my style. It's useful to have people who are good with it on your team though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I picked this up on PC for £31 and, coincidentally, that's the price you can currently buy it for on Xbox One download and PSN* (*albeit with an email code which seems to be being widely distributed).
So hopefully this game is receiving a second wind, especially as it sounds like people are already drifting away from BF1.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I hope so! Rainbow Six Siege managed to get a second wind through word of mouth.
Jusifer

Post by Jusifer »

is there a cane and rinse group on pc? not on my computer right now so can't check
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There's a Steam group.

I've currently no idea if Origin (or Titanfall 2) supports groups..?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Yeah, I find the grapple just doesn't feel right either. I've settled on builds that use the speed/regen boost to cover ground rapidly instead. I was always pretty handy with the wall run stuff and that feels mostly the same as the first game. One thing to note is that you can flip between your pilot load outs while playing, in the first game you could only change between spawns, but here you can change while still alive.

Titan wise I'm flipping between Tone and Northstar depending on my mood. Think they have some balance issues to solve there though, almost everyone plays Tone at the moment. The 'hit three times for an auto missile lock' is perhaps too strong given it has the energy shield too. A well played Ronin is a nightmare to take on, but I can't get the hang of the phase dash / melee strike on it.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Put some hours into the MP which I think I'm done with now but manly I came here to say that the SP is great. It's not too long, not too tricky (although the hardest setting is HARD) and is very enjoyable.

The MP feels good, fast and fair. It's just not my cup of tea in terms of competitive MP.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Finished the campaign on last night and it was short but great.

Multiplayer is great, I was concerned after the beta. This happened at the end of my game last night which made me laugh:

https://account.xbox.com/en-US/gameclip ... 0e7fe465df
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

UK based console folks, looks like this cracking sequel is going to be available on Xbox One and PS4 for £19.99 at HMV on Black Friday.